Narrator noticeably different from Author
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:22:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Narrator noticeably different from Author
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Narrator noticeably different from Author  (Read 2500 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:09:23 AM »
« edited: June 27, 2011, 01:44:22 PM by A Serious King »

Would you find it odd/uncomfortable to read a story with a first person female protagonist/narrator but the author of the story is male?  Similarly, if the author was white but the narrator was supposed to be a minority? Or vice versa in both cases.

I don't know of any examples of this.  Actually, for the most part the narrator is usually male or 3rd person in the books I've read.  The only exception I can think of right now is To Kill A Mockingbird, but that was written by a woman.

Just curious.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »

Would you find it odd/uncomfortable to read a story with a first person female protagonist/narrator but the author of the story is male?
No.
Some people seem to have that problem with the relevant portions of Franzen's Freedom.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Even 3rd person narrators frequently tell events largely from the perspective of one character (if frequently different characters in different parts of the book), so the difference is slighter than you think.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »

I think if it is first person, yes, I might find it distracting.  A third person, no.

I'm only thinking of Marlow in Heart of Darkness, who tells the story; he is a male.  That is framed by another unnamed narrator.  Marlow would be distracting as a female, but the other unnamed narrator could be a female.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:32:02 PM »

Would you find it odd/uncomfortable to read a story with a first person female protagonist/narrator but the author of the story is male?
No.
Some people seem to have that problem with the relevant portions of Franzen's Freedom.
Even 3rd person narrators frequently tell events largely from the perspective of one character (if frequently different characters in different parts of the book), so the difference is slighter than you think.

Really? I didn't.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:56:06 PM »

Just off the top of my head- Faulkner changed narrators frequently within the same novels.  These could be mentally handicapped, men and women. Further, One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest and more recently Atonement had narrators quite different from the author.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:28:15 AM »

No.

Really? I didn't.
Yeah, me neither. It's something I noticed in reviews.

Just off the top of my head- Faulkner changed narrators frequently within the same novels.  These could be mentally handicapped, men and women. Further, One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest and more recently Atonement had narrators quite different from the author.

Cuckoo's Nest (the novel) has a cameo appearance by the author, btw. Smiley
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »

Ian Fleming's The Spy Who Loved Me is written in such a way. It's a somewhat interesting perspective.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies