The very Democratic counties in southwestern Wisconsin?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:49:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The very Democratic counties in southwestern Wisconsin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The very Democratic counties in southwestern Wisconsin?  (Read 1115 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:26:24 PM »

I'm interested as to why these counties are so Democratic, most of them giving Obama >60% in the 2008 election and giving Clinton and Gore solid margins before that.  They seem to be overwhelmingly white, not very populated, and contain suburbs of Madison (whereas the Milwaukee suburbs are very conservative). 

The most obvious example is Iowa County and to a lesser extent Rock County.  The trend seems to even extend into counties in southeast Minnesota and northeast Iowa.  Very white, not a lot of people.... but pretty Democratic. 

I would have to guess it has something to do with industry along the Mississippi River but I'm not sure.  Anyone have some insight? 
Guderian

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »

Probably a lot of anti-war Scandinavians. Also, Democrats do well almost everywhere near the Miss. river - there's a racial factor to this in the South, but there's also the fact that people living so near to a river so big are probably more inclined to support government activism and have more communitarian worldview.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies