Indiana 2012 Congressional Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:18:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Indiana 2012 Congressional Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Indiana 2012 Congressional Races  (Read 33183 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »

Even though I'd love to see a Democrat in this seat (and I do think Donnelly COULD beat Mourdock, though it would be a tough battle), I honestly think the country is better served by having more Republicans in Congress who don't see the anyone with different political views as "the enemy."  Although I disagree with many of his positions, Lugar is one of the better members of the current Republican Senate caucus (not saying much, but still, he's always seemed like a decent enough guy).  So I hope Lugar wins the primary, even though there's no way Donnelly can beat him.  Unfortunately, don't think there is much of a chance of Lugar winning and could easily see him losing by a larger than expected margin.  Mourdock has the momentum in the primary, as best as I can tell.  If Mourdock wins the primary though, then Donnelly 2012!

+1000!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

Lugar apparently in deep sh*t:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »

Silent Joe will lose regardless of who he faces. Only Bayh would have a chance of beating either one. The Dem bench is rather sad around here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »

Thanks to a photo posted on Tm's Facebook, I was able to get a chuckle at Lugar's expense: a recent mailer of his uses the slogan "Serious leadership for serious times"...with a picture of an old man laughing with Lugar. Uh...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2012, 09:46:47 PM »

Silent Joe will lose regardless of who he faces. Only Bayh would have a chance of beating either one. The Dem bench is rather sad around here.
Don't be so sure - Mourdock is unappealing to moderate voters and will also struggle to gain financial support from the establishment. There is another difference - with Lugar, you have a safe race, and you can invest in other states, such as Ohio and Missouri. With Mourdock, money will have to be spent to defend this seat, money that could be going to defeat liberal Democrats in other races.

Tuesday will be a test to see just how interested Republicans are in taking back the Senate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »

Santorum endorses Mourdock. Maybe I should have a horse in this one... Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »

In the past week, Mourdock has received more out-of-state support, this time from Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and now Rick Santorum. There's some irony here - Richard Mourdock is claiming that Lugar isn't a true Hoosier and doesn't have true Hoosier values, yet all of the endorsements he is touting are from out-of-state politicians, while the endorsements that Dick Lugar are touting (mainly Daniels and Skillman, as well as the many mayors) are in-state. 
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2012, 05:41:01 AM »

If Mourdock wins, who will you support in the GE, tmth?
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »

Who is Dan Quayle endorsing?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »

J. Danforth Quayle (R-IN) is too concerned with life in Arizona.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »

If Mourdock wins, who will you support in the GE, tmth?
Undecided. I will most likely just write-in Lugar, as I don't like Donnelly or Mourdock. Gun to my head, I'd probably vote for Donnelly.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 02:08:31 PM by bgwah »

I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere, but what are the laws in Indiana with regards to running as an independent or write-in? Any chance Lugar goes that route?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »

I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere, but what the laws in Indiana with regards to running as an independent or write-in? Any chance Lugar goes that route?

Indiana has a sore loser law, so no.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »

I'm sure this has already been asked somewhere, but what are the laws in Indiana with regards to running as an independent or write-in? Any chance Lugar goes that route?
Unfortunately, there is a sore loser law in effect. That won't stop me from writing him in if he happens to lose in the primary.

If there wasn't, I seriously believe Lugar could win as a write-in, and would probably be favored if he had ran as an Independent.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

If Lugar were able to run as an Indie it would make things very interesting. I'm kinda torn about sore loser laws.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2012, 03:24:24 PM »

Unfortunately, there is a sore loser law in effect. That won't stop me from writing him in if he happens to lose in the primary.

If there wasn't, I seriously believe Lugar could win as a write-in, and would probably be favored if he had ran as an Independent.

So, if a plurality of Indianans decided to write in Lugar's name, he couldn't be declared the winner?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »

So, if a plurality of Indianans decided to write in Lugar's name, he couldn't be declared the winner?

Hmm, regardless, there's no way this could happen, as Lugar will not accept write-in votes.

Since he has so much respect for this state and the GOP, I'm 90% certain he'd endorse Mourdock either Tuesday night or shortly afterwards, and will do what he can to help Mourdock win in the General Election. In comparison, Mourdock has stated he may not endorse Lugar if Lugar wins the primary. Just goes to show you which candidate is a class act and which isn't.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »

Herman Cain is claiming Mourdock supports 9-9-9... is that true?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2012, 12:29:20 AM »

Seems like there might be quite a few Obama-Lugar voters and a number of Romney-Donnelly voters.  Obama-Murdock voters will be a null set.   Romney will have to win big in Indiana for Murdock to win.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »

Things are getting crazy.

I still think Lugar has a shot tomorrow, regardless of what the most recent poll says. Most other polls have shown Lugar narrowly leading or tied with Mourdock, and the recent Lugar internal had him ahead.

I know, generally undecideds break against the incumbent. I think this race might be slightly different, however, as Mourdock still doesn't have too high of name recognition and Lugar is see favorably still by a lot of voters. Lugar should also be thankful that there are few competitive Democratic primaries across the state (none statewide), as that could lead to an abnormally high amount of Democrats voting in the GOP primary. Also, most of the undecided voters were women, which have been favoring Lugar throughout the primary.

Regarding Congressional races, things are pretty interesting. Starting next year, Marlin Stutzman will be the senior Republican congressman from Indiana, despite only winning in 2010. I think Lugar should have made the seniority argument more; Republicans have a good shot at winning both Senate and House, yet the ability to direct more funds here will be limited, as we have one of the youngest groups of Republican lawmakers out there. Dan Coats would be our only hope, which doesn't say much.

Honestly can't give you all too much information on any races except the 8th and 9th. Apparently a poll came out today by GOP congressional leaders in the 8th that has Tea Party challenger Kristi Risk up 8 on Rep. Buchson. Buchson probably hasn't campaigned as much as he should have, but I expect him to hang on. It'll be closer than it should be though for an incumbent. He's just not a good campaigner, point blank.

Todd Young is running unopposed in the 9th for GOP. On Democratic side, there are 5 candidates I believe. The race is completely wide open, and there is no "establishment" pick. I honestly am not sure who the nominee will be. If I had to bet, I'd bet on John George, the formal Army general. Shelli Yoder has picked up some nice endorsements, specifically the mayor of Bloomington. She's also really hot (Wink), however, got in the race at the last second.

I stand by my belief the Indiana House delegation will go 7-2 in favor of Republicans this fall.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2012, 05:05:49 PM »

The Fix has a pretty good article comparing a potential Lugar loss to other historical Senate primary upsets.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »

CNN had a report from Dana Bash about a senior Indiana Republican saying he's seen Lugar's internal- "he will lose, and it won't be close." Politico reported something similar over the weekend. I'd say between 10-13 myself.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2012, 07:53:53 PM by Torie »

It is interesting you have such disdain for Mourdock for the reasons you described elsewhere, while on the other hand the National Review in an editorial endorsing him, characterizes him as "low key" and "capable, competent conservative."  With that trio of ecomimums attending the word "conservative," while Mourdock may be too rigid as a "conservative" for RINO types like me (it depends), it hardly renders him an object of derision and disdain.

You clearly have a different view of the appropriateness of such ecomimums. Did something in particular about him cause you to cast the Mourdock man into Mordor Tmthforu94?

Anyway, the stench of death about Lugar most noisome haunts my mind's eye, and I cannot cast it away. I see his body on the floor when the fat lady sings.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »

Lugar has an impressive and generally sensible record when it comes to foreign policy, and he's a very valuable player in the Senate for it.  I've always admired him on this and a host of other things and I'd definitely vote for him if I could. However, he can't stay there in the Senate forever, and it's true he does come across as old and a bit too establishment at this point.  I think the residence question might be what's hurt him the most.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »

Even Lugar's team has conceded that residency became an issue- but more as a symbol than the legalities.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies