Indiana 2012 Congressional Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:07:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Indiana 2012 Congressional Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Indiana 2012 Congressional Races  (Read 33185 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »

Pretty much all of my issues with Mourdock comes with how he handled himself throughout this campaign. From the very start he's ran a very negative, below the belt campaign, with every TV ad coming from his campaign being an attack on Lugar. I think he has completely mischaracterized Lugar as some crooked Washington insider who doesn't give a lick about Hoosier values, which is a complete fabrication, might I add. This entire election has been a referendum on Dick Lugar rather than on policy and substantial discussion on who would be best to represent Indiana in the Senate. Saying this as unbiased as possible, the Lugar campaign has come out with more idea's and solution's than the Mourdock campaign has. That's not really disputable. And what Mourdock did come out with, his budget plan, was attacked from all sides and was simply poorly thought out.

All we can really do at this point is hope that Hoosiers remember all Senator Lugar has done for this state tomorrow when they head to the polls. Lugar has done very well at his job; Mourdock hasn't.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »

Everyone has noticed how Lugar went on an all out attack on Mourdock this entire campaign but tm continues to live in his little dream world, bitching about Mourdock being negative while totally ignoring Lugar's attacks. I hope it's a landslide tomorrow.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »

It's got to be pretty rare for the senior member of the party to be facing such a serious primary challenger. Of course fellow 6-termer Hatch (who is less senior because Utah had fewer people) isn't safe either.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2012, 09:56:34 PM »

The closest would probably be Fulbright losing 2-1 to Bumpers in 1974.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:50 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2012, 10:10:18 PM by Torie »

Bennett was bagged in Utah, and Specter just fled the scene futilely seeking to evade that certain final exit that was his ineluctable fate.  How many moderates are left to bag anyway? I mean now they are eating their own when they go after Hatch.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »

Bennett was bagged in Utah, and Specter just fled the scene futilely seeking to evade that certain final exit that was his ineluctable fate.  How many moderates are left to bag anyway? I mean now they are eating their own when they go after Hatch.

The only 4 Republicans that aren't completely right-wing are the Maine Senators (one of whom is retiring), Murkowski (she's moved a bit to the left after she got elected as an Independent), and Scott Brown (who is still crazy right-wing for Massachusetts).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2012, 03:34:54 AM »

The only 4 Republicans that aren't completely right-wing are the Maine Senators (one of whom is retiring), Murkowski (she's moved a bit to the left after she got elected as an Independent), and Scott Brown (who is still crazy right-wing for Massachusetts).

And how many Democrats, which are not left-wing? Slightly more, i agree, but not by very much
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2012, 05:23:24 AM »

And how many Democrats, which are not left-wing? Slightly more, i agree, but not by very much

Warner, Webb, Landrieu, Pryor, Ben Nelson, Bill Nelson, Tester, Baucus, Feinstein, Casey, Hagan, Reid, Wyden, Lieberman, Blumenthal, McCaskill, Menendez, Conrad, Johnson, Manchin and Rockefeller.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2012, 06:06:59 AM »

[
Warner, Webb, Landrieu, Pryor, Ben Nelson, Bill Nelson, Tester, Baucus, Feinstein, Casey, Hagan, Reid, Wyden, Lieberman, Blumenthal, McCaskill, Menendez, Conrad, Johnson, Manchin and Rockefeller.

Tester, Feinstein, Wyden, Blumenthal, Menendez and Rockefeller (at least) are "pure liberals" for my tastes))))
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »

I have updated the first page with the official candidates in each race, as well as list my rating for each district. Will obviously change as the campaigns progress.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »

Well, I've done some thinking in this race, as well as research. At the end of the day, I'm willing to support the candidate I believe will best represent Hoosier interests in the Senate, even if they spent the past year attacking my favorite Senator over and over again.

Thankfully, the candidate I'm leaning towards didn't do that. The more I'm learning about Joe Donnelly, specifically his strong pro-gun and pro-life stances, the more I like about him. I truly believe he'd do a better job at representing Hoosier interests, while I think Mourdock would simply be a party-line, Tea Party Republican. I mean, the guy thinks Social Security and Medicare are unconstitutional, and believes bi-partisanship has ruined this country.

The only thing stopping me is his support for Obama and the fact him winning would probably give Harry Reid the Senate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:12 PM »

Donnelly does look good on paper with the Pro-Life position and the strength on immigration. But the problem is what happened with Stupak and the Health Care Law. If Pelosi, or in this case Reid, needs his vote for for Amnesty, Cap and Trade, Card Check or some other disastrous policy, it will materialize. Donnelly himself was one of Stupak's gang and one of the few who voted aye on Obamacare and still managed to survive 2010. As a Republican held seat in a solidly Bush 2004 state, ceding it to such an unrealiable choice is a mistake.

Also contrary to the Reuters article about how losing Lugar from the ballot hurts Romney, I would disagree. If anything, Lugars impact would have been the same as that of Specter in 2004 with a lot of Obama/Lugar voters. On the other hand, Mourdock might be able to energize conservatives more in the state. One reason I forgot to mention last year in this thread as to a reason why one would be a Romney/Mourdock supporter.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »

Oh, people were using the "Lugar will help Romney across the finish line" nonsense? Haha. Remember when Specter was going to win PA for Bush? As NC Yank mentioned, voters just - get ready for a shocker - split their ticket. And don't forget the infamous "Kerry-Specter for Working Families" signs.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2012, 11:32:55 PM »

http://insupportofsanity.blogspot.com/2012/05/richard-mourdock-responds-to-dick-lugar.html?spref=tw&m=1

"Well, what I've said is that I certainly think bipartisanship ought to consist of Democrats coming to the Republican point of view." - Richard Mourdock

...What's unfortunate - he's being completely serious. With this mentality, I'm not sure how he's going to get conservative Democrats or Independents to vote for him. All Donnelly needs is the cash to expose this.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2012, 12:07:01 PM »

But most partisan Democrats view bipartisanship means conservatives come over to their view.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »

'Looks like Donnelly is trying to tie himself to Lugar vis-a-vis the auto bailout.

'Should help him make inroads with Independents and moderate Republicans.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »

They're debating now.

Ugh.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »

A basic summary of the debate:
- Joe Donnelly claimed he was bi-partisan, but was attacked for supporting Obamacare
- Richard Mourdock was attacked for being a "Tea Party partisan" or something, and completely denied it.
- Mourdock spent about 2 minutes trying to convince Hoosiers that we should abolish the Department of Education.
- Horning, the Libertarian, said almost the same thing for every answer, just focusing on how the two-party state has ruined this country and the founding fathers didn't want this.

Overall, this debate did absolutely nothing to change the dynamics of the race. If anything "won", it'd be Horning, as he got free press and didn't come off as a complete idiot.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »

Got to speak briefly with Dr. Bucshon today - his campaign is pretty confident of victory, based on their internals, but aren't taking it for granted. I've moved my district from Lean Republican to Likely Republican.

Also, to spur activity in this thread since I feel like I'm talking to a mirror, I figured I should announce it...I voted for Richard Mourdock.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2012, 03:35:58 PM »

If you voted early, I suppose you have an excuse, but otherwise...for shame.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »

Also, to spur activity in this thread since I feel like I'm talking to a mirror, I figured I should announce it...I voted for Richard Mourdock.

I need to pick up on the NC thread as well.

Eh, I won't say I'm not disappointed, but it was your choice, not mine.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »

I need to pick up on the NC thread as well.

Eh, I won't say I'm not disappointed, but it was your choice, not mine.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2012, 06:29:55 PM »

I did vote early. I'll leave it at that. Wink
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »

Finally you've given up the pretense of being a moderate.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »

Finally you've given up the pretense of being a moderate.

Indeed. How could you? Mourdock doesn't deserve your vote. Richard Lugar is upset.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies