Indiana 2012 Congressional Races (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:49:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Indiana 2012 Congressional Races (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Indiana 2012 Congressional Races  (Read 33372 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: May 09, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »

Dems got to hand select their dream candidate in 2010.  A young, handsome, "moderate" representative, and he was destroyed by an old has-been former Senator.
He would have beat any other Republican besides Stutzman.

Among those running, definately. I don't see how he would have beat a Pence, Daniels, Rodkita, or the like if they had run for it, though.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »

I wonder if Hill has his eyes on a statewide race later on. Like for Senate in 2016. Coats doesn't seem like someone that would get entrenched very much and might even retire at that point. It is also possible that Hill is done with politics, I guess.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:50:34 PM »

Actually it does make sense.

If you are a supporter of term limits and dispise long term incumbents. I remember talking with some big Romney fans back in 2008, who despised all long term incumbents. If you want enforcement first/only immigration policy since Romney did cater to them big time when trying to outflank McCain in 2006/2007 and Lugar supported McCain-Kennedy. If you opposed the treaty with Russia which Lugar was a supporter and Romney an opponent (Didn't Romney come out against it? I remember an email from his PAC saying why it was bad, but I could be wrong.). There are a few others, but right now I can't think of them.

Do note that the above views do not automatically reflect the views of the poster named NC Yankee, but rather represent a list of potential reasons why someone would be a Romney/Mourdock supporter. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 03:24:45 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Governors should never be compared to Senate and Presidential races.

On the flip side, Senate races often do follow the Presidential results in this partisan era. There are exceptions, like a Collins or yes Lugar who could win by a wide margin while the Democrats take the state. That "endeered incumbency" effect only happens to incumbents.

There is also a populist challenger/outsider effect that tends to benefit certain Democrats running for open seats against marginal/weak Republicans. A good example of this would be Mark Warner in Virginia.  

If Mourdock nationalizes the race, he should be fine provided Obama doesn't win the state.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:12 PM »

Donnelly does look good on paper with the Pro-Life position and the strength on immigration. But the problem is what happened with Stupak and the Health Care Law. If Pelosi, or in this case Reid, needs his vote for for Amnesty, Cap and Trade, Card Check or some other disastrous policy, it will materialize. Donnelly himself was one of Stupak's gang and one of the few who voted aye on Obamacare and still managed to survive 2010. As a Republican held seat in a solidly Bush 2004 state, ceding it to such an unrealiable choice is a mistake.

Also contrary to the Reuters article about how losing Lugar from the ballot hurts Romney, I would disagree. If anything, Lugars impact would have been the same as that of Specter in 2004 with a lot of Obama/Lugar voters. On the other hand, Mourdock might be able to energize conservatives more in the state. One reason I forgot to mention last year in this thread as to a reason why one would be a Romney/Mourdock supporter.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »

Well, I said Donnelly would win 51-43. He won 50-44. So I was pretty close. Wink

Every district voted exactly how I thought it would...except the 2nd. I expect Walorski to win by around 10 points - the district is much more friendly to her than 2010, and she faced a weaker opponent. I was completely shocked at how close that race was, but at least she held on! Smiley

Also, I'll officially jump on the bandwagon - Stutzman `18!!! Smiley

I thought he had his eyes set on 2016?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies