SENATE BILL: Feline Protection Act (Amendments/Debate)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:58:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Feline Protection Act (Amendments/Debate)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Feline Protection Act (Amendments/Debate)  (Read 12288 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:28:07 PM »
« edited: March 16, 2011, 02:07:08 AM by Snowguy716 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »

This is stupid.  If you're going to ban operations on animals, ban neutering them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »

More tree-hugging bills from bgwah. What a surprise... Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »

I'm really torn on this issue, to be honest.  I understand the procedure is painful for cats.  I understand that de-clawing them takes away their biggest defense.

At the same time, there are many people who would like to own cats but can't because of the damage they may cause by scratching.  This is especially for apartment dwellers.  By banning de-clawing, would adoption of homeless pets decline?  I can't imagine it'd be a huge impact... but I've never heard of the humane society having extra room for more animals.

In the end, however, with the way people treat animals (letting them roam outside or abandoning them when they move), it's best to allow the animal to defend itself if need be.  So I will support this bill.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »

There are far more important issues and that's a bit frustrating, but anyways I support this bill.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »

Removing cat's calves is one one the most cruel and simply idiotic acts man can do to a cat.

Unconditional support.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »

Why do felines deserve special protections when babies in the womb can be aborted.

I ask for a senator to purpose a Protection of Human Life Act which forbids abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. We should also promote adoption in cases of rape.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »

Why do felines deserve special protections when babies in the womb can be aborted.

I ask for a senator to purpose a Protection of Human Life Act which forbids abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. We should also promote adoption in cases of rape.

Who said anything about banning cat abortions? Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »

I'm concerned there are Atlasians out there who consider animal rights more important than the protection of all human life from the womb to the tomb.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 08:32:02 PM »

I'm concerned there are Atlasians out there who consider animal rights more important than the protection of all human life from the womb to the tomb.
I will gladly support a bill that bans the removal of human finger and toe nails as a measure to reduce "scratch" damage in the household.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »

I will introduce a bill banning cat abortions ASAP, don't you worry.

As for this bill, isn't this more of a regional issue? Seems like kind of a weird thing to legislate nationally.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »

I will introduce a bill banning cat abortions ASAP, don't you worry.

As for this bill, isn't this more of a regional issue? Seems like kind of a weird thing to legislate nationally.

I have to agree with this for sure.  However I am also against it anyway.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »

I think the snowman raised an important concern about the effect on the adoption of pets.

Also, I agree with Happy and Leif that this is an issue that is much better at the regional level.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:11 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NQOzwj41Pc
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:13:49 AM »

That's why I hate "regional rights". There isn't "regional business" and "federal business". Anything the federal government can do to make the country better, it should do.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »

I think the snowman raised an important concern about the effect on the adoption of pets.

you should also be concerned that this will lead to cats being abandoned. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »

I have to echo NCY's and Shua's concerns here.  I am trying to think of a way that can work on both sides.

One way might be to delay the implementation of the ban, allowing people to de-claw their cats that they currently own if they know a landlord may require it in the future.

That would help with the abandonment issue, but it may reduce adoptions in the future as people live in areas that don't allow pets with claws and they can't declaw the cat.

You could also allow the cat owner to register their cat with a licensed vet to "grandfather" it in, allowing de-clawing for that cat.  Cats registered after a certain date may not be de-clawed.  This would further reduce abandonment but, again, might result in fewer adoptions.

The other option is to continue to allow de-clawing, but put strict regulations on the procedure to minimize suffering for the cat, including anesthetics and pain relievers as a requirement for each procedure.  The law could also include a claus that fines cat owners whose de-clawed cats are allowed outside of an enclosed home/yard as endangerment to that animal, since its best defenses have been removed.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:51 PM »

Cats have a right to protect themselves from tmth.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »

Snowguy, this is about preventing animals mutilation. Don't be such a moderate hero.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »

FWIW:

I am (or was Cry) as devoted to our two cats as anyone, and steadfastly refused to declaw them because it is indeed mutilation. I gladly have accepted damaged upholstery, wood paneling, and even (by accident) skin despite the rolled eyes of family members rather than essentially remove their tendons. I can't imagine a circumstance under which I would allow this to occur to our pets.

That said, I personally oppose this bill. The fact is many prospective pet owners will only take a cat into their homes if it is declawed. I don't like it, but its a fact. If disallowed, many persons and families will choose against getting a cat from a shelter, and I'd rather have tens of thousands more declawed, but living and cared for, cats rather than see those same cats euthanized. I can't be convinced that saving ten cats from declawing is worth euthanizing one who wouldn't otherwise be adopted, and I suspect the actual ratio of non-declawed cats to unadopted cats would be the reverse.

This bill absolutely has its heart in the right place, but just as much is an idea subject to the law of unintended consequences.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »

FWIW:

I am (or was Cry) as devoted to our two cats as anyone, and steadfastly refused to declaw them because it is indeed mutilation. I gladly have accepted damaged upholstery, wood paneling, and even (by accident) skin despite the rolled eyes of family members rather than essentially remove their tendons. I can't imagine a circumstance under which I would allow this to occur to our pets.

That said, I personally oppose this bill. The fact is many prospective pet owners will only take a cat into their homes if it is declawed. I don't like it, but its a fact. If disallowed, many persons and families will choose against getting a cat from a shelter, and I'd rather have tens of thousands more declawed, but living and cared for, cats rather than see those same cats euthanized. I can't be convinced that saving ten cats from declawing is worth euthanizing one who wouldn't otherwise be adopted, and I suspect the actual ratio of non-declawed cats to unadopted cats would be the reverse.

This bill absolutely has its heart in the right place, but just as much is an idea subject to the law of unintended consequences.

Cyber-cats will cyber-claw cyber-couches. Big deal! Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »

FWIW:

Huh
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »

FWIW:

To be fair, I don't know why anyone should care about cyber-cats' suffering too. Either you always act as if it's real, or you never do, but you can't change attitude depending to the argument. Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »

Cyber-cats > cyber-couches
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 08:37:48 AM »

Live declawed cyber cats > Euthenized cyber cats.

I eventually got the reference above.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies