Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:28:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS)  (Read 1594 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »

I'm extremely sorry for my lack of presence as of late but RL issues came up that I need to attend to. 

I will now open the floor for closing statements.  Again, sorry for the delay.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »

This thread illustrates many of the problems facing the game of Atlasia, though I want to compliment the Doctor for his conduct and the Voice and the Independent for sponsoring it.  I commend you for this.

We have two other candidates participating, both active, and office holders.  One doesn't know we're no longer in a fantasy war and the other can't explain why we are still spending fantasy money to find it.  I don't pretend to be active, but I don't pretend it makes much of a difference either.

I've been criticized for these two promises:

Veto any measure before the Senate, until the Senate codifies the rules relating to voting and membership in general in a single, assessable document.

After that, veto any measure until the Senate requires a description of each bill, accurate, to be added to the title so that the bill can be easily searched.

It was said to be a threat to representative democracy, even though enshrined in the Atlasian Constitution.

It perhaps should be criticized as a hollow threat, in the three days since I've said it, I could not find any legislation that the Senate has passed.  This is sad when you consider some bills were listed as being in their final votes.

If I'm elected I will cajole, hector, and threaten with vetoes, until the Senate acts to improve this game, and do these things that most of Atlasia, Left and Right support.  And then, I will resign, and, if possible, leave Atlasia for good.

Atlasia, like Atlantis, is said to be sinking.  It has been compared to the Titanic.  If you don't want it to sink, elect J. J. /East Coast Republican

Thank you!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »

Though this debate was short, and policy wasn't discussed like I hoped for it to be, I'd like to personally thank Archangel for still doing this debate. Smiley

Throughout my time as both Governor and Senator, I have held a record - a record of being consistently active. As a Senator, I would make the effort to spark debate and provide bills/amendments as often as I could. More recently, as Governor, I've fulfilled each role of my job effectively, and was an active part of debate in the Mideast Assembly. As President, you won't see me disappear for a couple of days every now and then, and if I ever do have to leave, it's probably an emergency and I'll have announced a LOA.

Many of the issues facing this game go beyond ideology, GM reform as the key one. During these difficult times facing our nation, we need an active leader who is truly committed to improving this game. I believe I am that leader.

During this campaign, I've received support from all different ideologies. Regardless of yours, if you want to see an active, bi-partisan administration, I ask you to support this ticket. If you want a President and Vice President who are active in debate and pushing the Senate along, I ask you to vote for this ticket.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »

I'll be brief.  I believe my candidacy is the best one to resurrect Atlasia.  My platform and intended reforms will not only create interest among existing members, but it will draw in new members.  So if you wish to see the game resurrected, vote for me.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »

good debate. i like how it's shorter and just focused on a couple issues - made it easier to follow than the last one.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 09:25:18 AM »

Due to being unexpectedly preoccupied over the last couple of days, I'm gutted that I missed the chance to engage with Ben, Tmth and JJ. In light of this, I'd encourage my opponents, and memers of the public, to post over in my campaign thread with any questions at all and I'll give you my positions. Smiley

As a closing statement, all I'll say is this - it's heartening to see all the candidates agree that GM reform is the way forward. As I said in my opening statement, the great, ignored, Depression of 2011 is one of the most obvious examples of the current state of the game. As President, I'll give the GM a couple of assistants, beef up the largely irrelevant SoIA and SoEA offices, and implement, if the current holder of the office doesn't object, a second GM. I'll also strive to make the game more newbie-friendly, and, (the buzzword of this campaign ahoy) more active, impose term limits on the stagnant Supreme Court, and give the Vice-Presidency an actual purpose.

But you don't need to listen to campaign babble. Any Presidential candidate would make these promises, and they have. What we need is a President who will keep their promises, so you should take a trip to the Pacific. Take a look at my record. In a region that was quite probably the most inactive and predictable in the nation, I took office as Governor and addressed the structural problems of the region efficiently and (I hope!) effectively. Along with my Lieutenant Governor, I resurrected an old Pacific Justice role to stir the legislative pot, and, in my proudest achievment, sheparded the biggest change in many years through the assembly - the creation of the Pacific Supreme Council.

So cast your mind back to the predictably "liberal", unengaging Pacific of old, and then compare what you see today. Actual argument, actual debate - I think a bill even failed recently. Tongue

That's my record - increasing activity, pumping new life into the game. I'm not afraid of radically shaking up the nation's institutions if that's what it takes. You know my positions, you know my record, the rest is up to you. Smiley

Thanks to my friend Archangel for hosting these two wonderful debates, and to my opponents for participating. Reading over your responses, I found them interesting and illuminating in equal measure.

Thanks all, and, remember, post any questions at all in my campaign thread!

Vote Oakvale/Snowguy. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies