Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:08:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Second Presidential Debate, Feb. 8 - Feb 12 (CLOSING STATEMENTS)  (Read 1635 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 08, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »

First, let me thank the Independent.

Hi, I'm J. J.  I'm running for president and my campaign is a joke.  I mean my campaign, not the issues I'm going to raise.  I'm not as polished as these other two guys.  In Atlasian terms, I'm an average guy.  That average guy perspective, the guy who shows up, and wants to find out more about how Atlasia works, is what I'm bring. 

I'm happy to see that Governor Oakvale has expressed an interest in getting more people involved and Tmthforu94 wants to improve accessibility.  Both go hand in hand.  However, both are too close to the system.

If elected my first priority will be to codify the voting rules so a nonmember, or an uninformed member, like me, can find the information quickly.  My second priority will be to have a thread of adopted legislation, so that someone browsing can see what is going on, and find it quickly.

This is neither a leftist nor rightest approach; it is a practical approach. 

My third priority, after getting these things done, or at least well on the way, will to resign.  That is definitely not a political approach.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 08:49:29 PM by J. J. »

Mine is centralized information on voting rules.  Recently there was a referral to a "do not PM" list for political PM's.  It is here:

How many of you even knew that there was such a list, buried in a 6 week old post on page 14 of the thread?

I recently tried to research the issue of voter registration, trying to find the statute.  It was next to impossible to find.  That needs to be codified by the Senate in one document and given a sticky position.

Second, it is difficult to find what legislation exists and when it has been passed.  I was told, by my opponent, Tmthforu94, yesterday, that a bill was enacted.  As of today, no record of it passing or signing exists.

We need a thread to list the enacted laws of Atlasia, also in a sticky position.  And one for executive orders as well.  These things must be done to insure that citizens have access to the basic rules of the game.

I should add that, while I wish to see codification, I disagree with one of my opponents in lowering the registration requirement.  You can never tell when one of those nominal members will become active and try to change the world.  Wink
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2011, 09:41:47 PM by J. J. »

J.J.'s just pointed out a question I've been waiting to ask, I will end tonight's round early at 7 PM, give around 12 hours for people to catch up.

What is the usefulness of the Wiki in your eyes?

Do you wish to implement it more into Atlasia?

I think it is very useful, and one of the better organized sources in Atlasia.

I think, as a practical matter, the expansion of it will be slow, and I think the "sticky steps" would be a practical, if ultimately temporary solution.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think that is a matter for the Senate, but disseminating the information is at least more the role of the executive.

I thought I had, by running.  Wink

The idea of more centralized information may help.  It explains what you have to do to join.  I'd actually link to Wiki more.

There is perhaps another issue.  I've gotten the sense that there are basically two parties in Atlasia, them and us.  "Them" is those people in the political class.  "Us" are just the normal members who rarely seek office.  I hope that my candidacy will change that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 08:23:20 PM by J. J. »

We will continue from where we left off yesterday, to finish off game reform.

Do you believe that Atlasia is oversimplified or overcomplicated?

Well, if I can expand on the algebra analogy of my opponent, nobody I went to high school with has an advanced degree in mathematics.

I played war games in high school.  I played AD&D in college.  I was a bureaucrat dealing with three sets of welfare regulations.  I now advise groups on parliamentary procedure.  I have never seen such a total mess of regulations as I have in Atlasia!

A non political one, that will put the interest of Atlasia before his desire to run for re-election.  One who willing to accomplish a goal, and then move on.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 08:41:46 PM by J. J. »

Moving on, we will now push into other questions.

Is Atlasia's national security adequate?  Have the latest terrorist attacks proven just how vulnerable we are?

Is the current national legislature the most ideal?  How would you like it changed?

Do you believe Atlasia should be a much larger force in international intervention efforts?

It terms of game security, there are two problems.

1.  Sock accounts, and I think there is adequate security.

2.  Apathy.  There is always the possibility of uninformed voters being recruited for personal political gain of a candidate or a political party just to sway elections (I know, I use to be one).  One advantage to making things more open and accessible is to interest more people in playing because the want to.  The uniformed members become informed voters.

We will always have mock attacks and mock solutions, but the danger to the game is from false or apathetic voters.

I do disagree with Tmth on the lowering of the post threshold.  I think that would only exasperate the apathetic voter problem.

Is the current national legislature the most ideal?  How would you like it changed?

I think we may need a shorter time to approve legislation; one piece of legislation has been hanging in mid vote for three days now. 

No.  Fantasy wars are not the true threat to this simulation.

What time zone?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2011, 10:01:26 PM by J. J. »

Finally, before we move on to the third session, two more questions:

1.  What is your opinion of the recent events surrounding the major political parties of Atlasia?

I think you are seeing the problems of Atlasian politics.  This might be called attack of the Zombie.  Today it is, in all honesty, affecting the RPP, but tomorrow it can affect any or all parties.  Two people have, by their candidacy and advocacy, without any organization or planning, destabilized the political situation.  Not because we're good, or smart, or popular.  It is because the political situation is so fragile the slightest change will shatter it.

I will admit to being an angry Atlasian, but I am more angry at the system in Atlasia that I am at any individual or group. 

We have political leaders that warn of political retribution against someone who wants nothing to do with politics after this election (and won't be staying, win or lose) .  We have much more experienced members who can't find statutes relating to basic rights of members.  It is troubling to see this senators, former office holders, party chairmen, generally in the party that is more supportive of individual rights and open government.  It can only be worse in the parties that value the state over the individual or the region.

We have a focus on "left" and "right" while Atlasia sinks in a quagmire of laws seemingly lost in cyberspace.  I've and my running mate been accused of trying to split the right and the left, by the right and the left.

We can have those arguments after we have those left and right arguments after we get the game running and have a participatory electorate that won't fall apart at the slightest wind.

If elected, I hope my tenure will be brief.  While Cincinatus returned to the plow, if elected, I will resign and hopefully leave Atlasia, once the reforms have started.  My focus will not be on fantasies but on building a structure where others can more easily, and more fairly, live out their fantasy political lives, fully informed.  My brief will be solely be focused on improving the game.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »

At the risk of looking completely out of touch (which I am):

1.  When did the hostilities end?

2.  When does the fiscal year end?

Also, were there any "cleanup" costs like rebuilding, transporting the troops back?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »

This thread illustrates many of the problems facing the game of Atlasia, though I want to compliment the Doctor for his conduct and the Voice and the Independent for sponsoring it.  I commend you for this.

We have two other candidates participating, both active, and office holders.  One doesn't know we're no longer in a fantasy war and the other can't explain why we are still spending fantasy money to find it.  I don't pretend to be active, but I don't pretend it makes much of a difference either.

I've been criticized for these two promises:

Veto any measure before the Senate, until the Senate codifies the rules relating to voting and membership in general in a single, assessable document.

After that, veto any measure until the Senate requires a description of each bill, accurate, to be added to the title so that the bill can be easily searched.

It was said to be a threat to representative democracy, even though enshrined in the Atlasian Constitution.

It perhaps should be criticized as a hollow threat, in the three days since I've said it, I could not find any legislation that the Senate has passed.  This is sad when you consider some bills were listed as being in their final votes.

If I'm elected I will cajole, hector, and threaten with vetoes, until the Senate acts to improve this game, and do these things that most of Atlasia, Left and Right support.  And then, I will resign, and, if possible, leave Atlasia for good.

Atlasia, like Atlantis, is said to be sinking.  It has been compared to the Titanic.  If you don't want it to sink, elect J. J. /East Coast Republican

Thank you!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies