Christie vs. Schultz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:41:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Christie vs. Schultz
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christie vs. Schultz  (Read 3119 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:00:57 AM »

In a decisive election Mitt Romney defeated Barack Obama to become the 45th President of the United States.

Mitt Romney's immediate task is to get the economy revived and to bring down the unemployment rate which still stands at 8.9%. President Romney's first year sees the repeal of Obamacare and small dip in the unemployment rate. Despite a strong showing by Democrats in midterm elections Republicans retained control of both House of Congress.

By the early months of 2015 recovery seemed to have finally begun with the unemployment dropping steadily and by the summer unemployment hit a historic level for the first time in years: 7.4%. However in the fall of 2015 Pres. Romney announces that he will not seek reelection, citing that "Seeing to the job I was elected to and to finish that job is more important than reelection. It is time where I must country ahead of everything else."

With President Romney's decision not to seek reelection all eyes went to Vice President Christie who announced shortly thereafter that he would seek the Republican Nomination. In doing so he received the backing of the President and many other prominent Republicans including Marco Rubio who many speculated would run.

Following Christie's announcement only three other major Republicans announced their campaigns:
Rand Paul
Michele Bachmann
Ovide LaMontange (Elected Governor of NH in 2012)

Paul was seen as Christie's biggest rival for the nomination and the two battled it out as they campaigned across the country. When it finally came time to vote as expected Paul carried Iowa, Christie carried New Hampshire, Paul took Nevada and going into South Carolina Christie received the endorsement of Nikki Haley which helped him carry the state. He then finished off Paul in Florida.

On the Democratic side the field was much less focused, with prominent Democrats like Andrew Cuomo and Hillary Clinton backing out of the rest. Their decision left candidates like Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Deval Patrick, Jeanne Shaeen and a few other minor candidates. The race for the nomination was a heated one, that finally left Schultz as the last one standing, thus giving her the nomination.

Schultz headed into the general election to face Christie with unemployment standing at 6.9%. Schultz was seen as the underdog in the race and with her polling terribly against Christie she needed a game changer and selected former Governor of NH John Lynch as her running mate. It was seen as a bold move, with Lynch being an unknown and many thought she should have went with someone like Clinton or Cuomo.

For his running mate Christie tapped Marco Rubio, creating the conservative dream ticket. They two headed into the general election with a sizable lead over Schultz, but Christie was taking nothing for granted.

Schultz vs. Christie:
Schultz 43%
Christie 49%

Coming soon: Election Night 2016

I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »

Mitt Romney exhibiting that he actually has principles? Strange. Seems like it'll be a good read Smiley
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2011, 01:42:24 PM by NHI »

Schultz
Christie

7:00
Matthews: Good Evening, this Chris Matthews live from Washington tonight and coverage of Election Night 2016 begins right now. The campaign between Vice President Chris Christie and Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz. It is a campaign that could spell history tonight if the Democratic candidate wins. Let us turn to Rachel Maddow who has this evening's first projections.

Maddow: Thanks Chris and good evening. Tonight we can start off with some predictable projections. The state of Vermont will go for Congresswoman Schultz. For Vice President Christie we project that he will carry Kentucky, South Carolina and Indiana.

Schultz: 3
Christie 28

Matthews: Thank you Rachel, as we await results in the other states I think we should mention Pres. Romney at this time. Here's a man who was elected in a somewhat decisive election in 2012, he brought unemployment down to where it stands today at 6.9% and it looks to be dropping. Confidence is up, why would he run for reelection? Let's me ask this to Joe Scarborough.

Scarborough: Chris he probably could have won in a landslide tonight, but he chose to put country above party which many Americans admire. Look this isn't LBJ in 68 saying I won't run, crap, this was a guy who wants to effectively govern and frankly did not want to waste time campaigning.

Matthews: But isn't he hurting his legacy by not running. I mean no one will argue that he hasn't been a successful president in terms of what he set out to do, but couldn't he be a great president if he served eight years?

Scarborough: No, I don't think so Chris. Romney's legacy will be that he got America's economy going again, and restored confidence in government, in politicians and in America. He'll be admired I think for the fact that he stepped down and wanted to continue governing and saw he could be effective in that way.

Matthews: Yeah, but if he loses tonight, meaning Christie won't that Hurt Romney's legacy.

Scarborough: It would hurt him Chris, but it won't and that is because Chris Christie isn't going to loose. If you want to be a political psychologist, then I think Romney looked at the field, saw it wasn't Hillary Clinton who was going to be the nominee and figured he could sit it out and pave the way for Christie who could end up being president for the next eight years and from there have someone like a Rubio serve. I think Romney saw that if he ran and won big much more would be expected and any misstep could derail him. I think he's looking at the future and tonight the future is bright for the GOP.

Matthews: We need to go to Rachel again who has a projection to make.

Maddow: Thanks Chris, MSNBC is now calling Georgia and the state of Virginia for Governor Christie. No doubt two important states for him tonight as he heads towards 270 votes.

8:00
Maddow: MSNBC is projecting for Congresswoman Schultz: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Delaware, Maryland, Illinois and the District of Columbia.
For Mr. Christie we are calling: Tennessee, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Missouri, Alabama and New Jersey. New Jersey nearly went for the Romney Christie ticket but went to Pres. Obama by a margin of 50.9%-49.2%, tonight Christie looks to carry at least 51% of the vote.

Schultz: 57
Christie: 119

Matthews: That's some nice electoral change for Chris Christie. He's got some big states and,

Maddow: Sorry Chris, but MSNBC is now projecting that Vice President Christie will carry the state of Florida. 52%-46%.

Matthews: That one has to sting. I knew it would be a swing state, but Christie is taking it by a strong margin. Can Congresswoman Schultz win this thing, Lawrence?

[/center

O'Donnell: The problem Chris is the map starts to get a little tighter. Florida is a state that nine out of ten times goes with the winner. The second problem for Schultz is she's a member of the house. She's going up against the Vice President of the United States, who is serving with an extremely popular President. The last time we elected a president who served in the House was Abraham Lincoln.

Matthews: I'm just getting word that Christie has just carried the state of North Carolina, which makes it almost an entire sweep of the deep south, with Arkansas and Louisiana still voting, but we expect they'll go for him as well. So how does she win this joe?

Scarborough: Well she starts by carrying New Hampshire and shockingly Maine. Maine is traditionally a Democratic State as far back as 1992 with Bill Clinton and tonight Christie is polling strong there. Now she has to take those two, Pennsylvania which Romney got in 12, Ohio, then move to New Mexico, Nevada and take Colorado back. Not impossible, but certainly much more difficult as states drift away.

Matthews: Is there an enthusiasm gap with the Democrats this time? It seems that all the energy is with the Republican.

Scarborough: I think so Chris, and here's why. In 2012 the Democrats were rallied, despite of the economy, republicans were mildly excited, but enough that they did not stay home. The shift is Romney has turned the country around and that is partisan it's fact. Unemployment is down, and there are those on the left who say, well it's Obama's policies. Well, if they had worked it would his successor running for election tonight.
Yes it is historic that a woman has been nominated by a major party and is running for the presidency, but I don't feel there is a sense of urgency in terms of a historical urgency, like there was with Barack Obama in 2008. The fact is maybe and this may sound rough, but perhaps there isn't enough excitement for this female candidate. Perhaps if it was Hillary Clinton the race might have been different. The fact of the matter is, barring some event tonight Chris Christie is going to win.

Matthews: How has the Republican Party changed since the days of Bush and even the Tea Party, which no one seems to talk about anymore.

Scarborough: Chris, Mitt Romney's election assured that moderate republicans are still alive and that they have a place in the discussion. For as I've pointed out time and time again, craziness does not win elections. It does not win on the right or the left and what Mitt Romney was able to articulate was conservative principles and being able to stand by them, but also govern and get something done for the people. I like it how the Republican party is able to talk about science again and climate change, that we're not worn down in the social issues. We're now able to discuss openly and honestly with the democrats about fiscal policy and that's always what the debate should be about. And with Chris Christie you have another northern republican making a comeback.

Matthews: What does Christie have to do if he is elected?

Scarborough: I think he needs to address the deficit, because it is still a problem. Romney has lessened it, but we need to move towards bringing it to the point of nonexistence and move towards balancing the budget. I think if Christie continue with what Romney has started then the budget could be balanced by the end of his first term, and maybe sooner.

Matthews: Will the Republicans still control Congress after tonight?

Scarborough: By all accounts, yes.

Maddow: Cutting in gentlemen, MSNBC has another projection to make, two in the state of New Hampshire. First Senator Kelly Ayotte will win reelection, defeating challenger Steve Manchard by a margin of 60%-38%. And in the presidential race Mr. Christie will carry the state as well.
So now with Arkansas which we just projected Christie leads Schultz with 173-57.
Let us just look to the states still in question at this hour:

OH:
R: 52.3%
D: 47.9%

PA:
R: 51.9%
D: 48.8%

ME:
R: 49.8%
D: 49.1%

And it appears MSNBC can now project that Mr. Christie will carry Ohio as well.

Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol

Anyway, I love election nights. Go ahead.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »

Christie 191
Schultz 57

Matthews: Jesus, this thing could be over before ten.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »

2012 Senate Map:

2014 Map:

Matthews: Let us turn now to some of the senate races that are heating up across the country. Kelly Ayotte has been reelected in New Hampshire. We also project that Nikki Haley has won Jim DeMint's old senate seat in South Carolina. We can also call Ben Quayle the winner in Arizona. He's replacing John McCain's old senate seat. The Republicans hope to grab Colorado and Nevada especially Harry Reid, former Majority leader's seat.

Maddow: And to cut in Chris MSNBC is now calling the state of Maine for Chris Christie tonight. Maine goes Republican for the first time since 1988.

Matthews: This is certainly shaping out to be an impressive victory if Chris Christie is to win the election. He's looking at a sizable victory and perhaps on the cusps of a realigning, Joe?

Scarborough: Very possible Chris. Maine and New Hampshire have voted republican in the past and tonight they're returning to their roots. I'll be interested to see how Christie does in in states like Michigan and Wisconsin. Romney narrowly lost those states to Obama in 12 and at last glance Christie was leading in both states.

9:00
Maddow: It is nine o'clock and MSNBC is calling the following states in the presidential election. For the Vice President we project that he will carry: Louisiana, Texas, Kansas, Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota.
For Congresswoman Schultz: New York, Rhode Island

Christie: 261
Schultz: 90

Matthews: Wow, it's over.

Scarborough: The question now remains how big of a margin will he receive.

I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »

You really think that news anchors would say words like "crap" and "Jesus" during an election night broadcast?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »

You really think that news anchors would say words like "crap" and "Jesus" during an election night broadcast?

Probably not, but hey it's MSNBC. lol
Rochambeau jk I'm Hamilton
Conservatarian1989
Rookie
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:09:22 PM »

Christie 2012! Smiley Pretty interesting so far Smiley
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »

I half-expect you to pull a GPORTER as a sudden scandal rocks the voting habits of the outstanding states, and Debbie pulls off a victory.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »

Matthews: Joe, are you surprised that Hillary Clinton did not run this time?

Scarborough: No, Chris and here's why. She said no, and she meant it. Look, even if she entertained it to herself this cycle, she's a smart woman and probably realized that even with her as the nominee and there being this perception of her having been missed on the pages of history in 2008 would, no I'm sure would have been defeated, because of Romney's numbers.

Matthews: Just because we can and we're waiting for more results MSNBC compiled a poll of what could have been matchup between Romney and Clinton. Now we should note this polls was done in January of 2015.

Romney: 50%
Clinton: 44%

Now you're probably right Joe, she probably was never going to run, but when you have numbers that are like that, and here's another poll in the spring of 2015, right before Clinton announced no she would not run.

Romney: 55%
Clinton: 40%

Now I ask you could she have beaten Christie?

Scarborough: Doubtful Chris. I think we'd be looking at a much closer race tonight if Clinton was running, but in the end I don't think even Clinton could win.

Maddow: Excuse me again Chris, but we have a major projection to make. Based on a win in Colorado, MSNBC is now projecting Vice President Chris Christie will be the next President of the United States of America.

Christopher James Christie: 46th President of the United States

Christie: 270
Schultz: 90

Matthews: And there you have it, Chris Christie is now President-elect of the United States. It will be four more years of Republicans in the White House and in Congress as well.

Results:
10:00

10:30

MN: 49.66% - 49.33%
PA: 51.20% - 48.35%

11:00

1:00

WI: 49.54% - 49.39%

Schultz's concession: "Like always America will move forward united, and ready for tomorrow."

Pres. Romney makes a statement following the results the next morning. "This is a good day for a America."

President-Elect Christie, "We're just getting started."

Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »

Completely unexpected.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:57 AM »

This is the most hackish timeline ever. Lol at Levin and Harkin loosing....
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »

This is the most hackish timeline ever. Lol at Levin and Harkin loosing....
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »

I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 02:58:33 PM »

heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »

Okay what will be the configuration of the Senate and house during both the Romney and Christie presidencies, and if Christie has a successful first term, how well will he do in his re-election bid, who will be his likely opponent? My bet it will be Andrew Cuomo, but then again it could be Mark Warner or some newbie, or maybe Obama might pull a Cleveland and challenge Christie, any opinions. But the most interesting dynamic, is how well will Christie do in 2020.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »

One other thing, I don't think Christie's presence on a Romney led ticket, would allow New Jersey to go for Obama, it doesn't make sense if Romney can take Pennsylvania, but can't take New Jersey, where Christie would be popular, or at least from what the prognosticators tell us and would Marco Rubio give up what would probably be a safe Senate seat, unless they have dual mandate in Florida as they do in Texas, Connecticut and Delaware. Discuss with maps and answer the dual mandate question if anyone knows
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »

Any takers on what happens in 2020 after one Christie term, does he screw things up so badly that either Warner or Cuomo are compelled to challenge him
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies