The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:41:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Author Topic: The NY-26 Election. Have fun but keep your shirt on.  (Read 49723 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2011, 11:51:07 PM »

I may have exaggerated the promise of this situation
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »

The problem, and the article notes this, is that the Tea Party isn't going to get the Conservative line if Corwin is chosen (as opposed to Maziarz or Robach).  Which leaves them trying to either create their own line again or buy the Independence party line (as that seems to be the way to get it these days)

Seems to me like the Tea Party people are just asleep at the switch.

This will probably be the first election testing how buyable the Green Party line is, too.  It will likely be the first major election in which that party has automatic ballot access since 2002.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2011, 12:03:51 AM »

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Apparently, the Tea Party has learned nothing if there is even a hint of them pulling anything.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2011, 12:10:40 AM »

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Apparently, the Tea Party has learned nothing if there is even a hint of them pulling anything.

I don't see how they are harmed by hinting at it?  It just increases their leverage in their negotiating attempt to slow down the nominating process
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »

I don't see how they are harmed by hinting at it?  It just increases their leverage in their negotiating attempt to slow down the nominating process

It's not a matter of the Tea Party being harmed, I was referring more to the prospect of a division in vote among Republicans and conservatives similar to NY-23. It may be about leverage now, but if a third party favorable to them does get into the mix, it means the Tea Party hasn't learned much from the previous situation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »

The problem, and the article notes this, is that the Tea Party isn't going to get the Conservative line if Corwin is chosen (as opposed to Maziarz or Robach).  Which leaves them trying to either create their own line again or buy the Independence party line (as that seems to be the way to get it these days)

This will probably be the first election testing how buyable the Green Party line is, too.  It will likely be the first major election in which that party has automatic ballot access since 2002.

One would think that the Tea Party would be smart enough to understand that it is unlikely to be successful getting its point across to its people through the Green Party, but what do I know...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2011, 01:49:24 AM »

One would think that the Tea Party would be smart enough to understand that it is unlikely to be successful getting its point across to its people through the Green Party, but what do I know...

I wasn't necessarily thinking the Tea Party would try to buy the line (though you can't rule it out).  Instead, I was thinking it will be interesting to see if the Greens cross-endorse the Democrat or run their own candidate, as their gubernatorial candidate claimed they would often try to do if they won major party status.
rob in cal
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2011, 12:47:30 PM by rob in cal »

I'm also intrigued by what the Greens will do as well.  They represent the only nationwide third party with automatic ballot status in New York, which is interesting because the fusion law gives them the opportunity to support some major party candidates if they'd like.  It would have been interesting had the Libertarians also won ballot status, and IIRC they came really close to doing so.  Having these national third parties involved in New York's fusion politics might make them supportive of having it in other states (not that third parties are too sucessfull in implementing laws on their own, but in terms of adding support to, say, a state wide referendum on introducing fusion, like in Massachusetts a few years ago).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »

The Green line going to the Tea Party wouldn't shock me at all. The Greens have taken right-wing funding and support all the time.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2011, 02:18:53 PM »

http://www.capitaltonight.com/2011/02/corwins-08-abortion-position-could-cause-trouble/
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »

Capital (sic) Tonight really wants this TEA party challenge to happen, don't they?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »

Capital (sic) Tonight really wants this TEA party challenge to happen, don't they?

Do you know many political junkies who don't?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »

They're an Upstate program, fwiw
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

Connoisseurs of the English language.

Why America felt the need to bastardise a language that did not belong to them has always puzzled me.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »

Do you know many political junkies who don't?

Yes.  Republicans who want to keep the seat.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »

Jane Corwin was selected by the GOP chairs.  No link yet
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »

Excellent news. She seems like she can hold down the Conservative vote. Paladino did after all supports her.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »

link: http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_c39ec55c-3e24-11e0-b3c3-001cc4c002e0.html
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/02/21/tea_party_vows_to_pursue_3rd_party_candidate_in_new_york.html
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »

I wasn't necessarily thinking the Tea Party would try to buy the line (though you can't rule it out).  Instead, I was thinking it will be interesting to see if the Greens cross-endorse the Democrat or run their own candidate, as their gubernatorial candidate claimed they would often try to do if they won major party status.

If the Green party endorsed the Democrat, that would certainly be news, since they tend to either run their own candidate, or no one.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2011, 11:17:24 PM »

The idiots.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2011, 11:19:18 PM »

Since it sounds like the Conservative Party is happy with Corwin, don't expect this to go anywhere.  Corwin will probably get the Independence line too.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »

3200 signatures in 12 days would be rather impressive, though not impossible.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »

Since it sounds like the Conservative Party is happy with Corwin, don't expect this to go anywhere.  Corwin will probably get the Independence line too.

She probably has the money to buy it (another reason why she was nominated).  Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 11:36:21 PM »

She probably has the money to buy it (another reason why she was nominated).  Tongue

She also fits the profile of the type of person they endorse anyway*, pretty sure she's gotten their backing in the past?

*read: "the winning candidate"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies