Kyl to retire (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:36:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kyl to retire (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kyl to retire  (Read 13014 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: February 10, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »

I am not so sure on Flake being a lock for the nomination. His immigration views are not in line with what the AZ gop primary would be looking for right now.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »

http://www.rollcall.com/news/-203364-1.html

Flake is announcing his campaign tomorrow. It will be interesting to see who replaces him in the house.

Its deeply Republican seat, though changes are possible of course, not knowing exactly what will happen in redistricting, I think it will probably be safely Republican. Probably be a nastly primary fight amongst several legislators, mayors, sherrifs, local officials of various types. I doubt it will be someone as principled as Flake.

Its also a shame, because Flake finally got his seat on the appropriatons committee, didn't he?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »

If the Republicans end up nominating Pearce for the district it could be an interesting race. I think he would ultimately win, but it would be a lot closer than if any other Republican ran there.

I doubt Steve Pearce is going to ditch his House seat just to move to Arizona and run for a different one. Tongue
http://tucsoncitizen.com/in-the-aggregate/2011/02/13/russell-pearce-to-run-for-us-congress-if-jeff-flake-runs-for-kyl%E2%80%99s-us-senate-seat/

Why would Russell Pearce make it closer. If anything he would be stronger because his name recognition is higher. Now if a bunch of hispanics get put here maybe.

But its R+15, presently with a lot of mormons in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona%27s_6th_congressional_district
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »

If the Republicans end up nominating Pearce for the district it could be an interesting race. I think he would ultimately win, but it would be a lot closer than if any other Republican ran there.

I doubt Steve Pearce is going to ditch his House seat just to move to Arizona and run for a different one. Tongue
http://tucsoncitizen.com/in-the-aggregate/2011/02/13/russell-pearce-to-run-for-us-congress-if-jeff-flake-runs-for-kyl%E2%80%99s-us-senate-seat/

Why would Russell Pearce make it closer. If anything he would be stronger because his name recognition is higher. Now if a bunch of hispanics get put here maybe.

But its R+15, presently with a lot of mormons in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona%27s_6th_congressional_district
Ties to neo-nazis.

How big are the ties?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:46:47 PM »

Yea, that doesn't seem like enough for this district.

Now he will probably underperform Flake on a regular basis (which is different from asking if he would do worse then someone else as any new guy would do worse then Flake) but, like Franks has done in several elections, Pearce would stuggle to get above 60% while his predecessor won by 2-1 or more (in the case of Franks, Stump's last two results were 67% and 66%, while Franks kept getting in the high 50's in five elections until he got 65% in 2010).
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:59 PM »

If thats the case, Flake may be screwed. His glaring vulnerability is an issue at the top of GOP primary voter's minds, and Franks is on the right side of that arguement.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »

If thats the case, Flake may be screwed. His glaring vulnerability is an issue at the top of GOP primary voter's minds, and Franks is on the right side of that arguement.

Although he has an ACU of 96, Flake appears a lot more rational and levelheaded then Trent Franks. Franks is a fundie pervert.

And that is supposed to challenge my point about Flake being weak in a primary?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »

Flake just pulled a John McCain on Immigration.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:27:59 PM »

So who's going to carry the tea-party mantle in AZ.  Paging J.D....
Flake does have appeal to the Tea Party. The problem is that immigration issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies