UK AV Referendum Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:24:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK AV Referendum Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16
Poll
Question: Do you want the United Kingdom to adopt the 'alternative vote' system instead of the current 'first past the post' system for electing Members of Parliament to the House of Commons?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: UK AV Referendum Poll  (Read 39478 times)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2011, 05:32:23 PM »

@afleitch

No one's suggesting an alternative coalition could work - just that they should've held out for a better deal with the Tories before giving them one.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

@afleitch

No one's suggesting an alternative coalition could work - just that they should've held out for a better deal with the Tories before giving them one.

The got a good deal; of all the things they could have demanded this bloody referendum is what they chose.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2011, 05:59:43 PM »

@afleitch

The got a good deal; of all the things they could have demanded this bloody referendum is what they chose.

Doesn't that just mean that they still got a sh!tty deal, but that it was entirely their fault? Tongue Grin
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2011, 06:01:36 PM »

They got a referendum on a miserable little compromise. Astonishing deal(!). Cheesy
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2011, 07:11:42 PM by Refudiate »

Nasty and partisan, but will the LibDems call it Goebbels-like?

Also, quite a silly poster. Doesn't even mention AV... could just be a normal "Vote Labour" poster, really.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »

No extends their lead with YouGov to 59-41.
http://today.yougov.co.uk/sites/today.yougov.co.uk/files/yg-archives-pol-sun-results-260411.pdf
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »

Are the results going to be declared county-by-county?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »

Are the results going to be declared county-by-county?

I think so. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2011, 03:19:37 AM »

Made all the more damning by the fact that Angus Reid were one of the last to show AV in the lead when other pollsters were signalling NO gaining the upper hand.

Interesting to see various figures come out in recent days making direct appeals to Labour voters - to vote for their partisan interest. I've watched in amazement as Clegg and his merry Orange Bookers have done their utmost to extinguish any good feeling from Labour voters - the very same voters their AV hinges upon if it's to pass. Of course when AV's future started looking bleak he dismissed it as being not all that important to him, but that's been roundly disproven as he and his colleagues battle in an unprecedented scale during this coalition for it (something that again has registered terribly to Labour voters - a battle for self-interest but not his voters or the welfare state).

Some might blame YestoAV, but I think Clegg's played a shocking hand since May last year and I think it's now simply a case of how much his miserable little compromise loses by.

Nick Clegg is an idiot, I think we can all agree there. That doesn't say anything about AV, though.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2011, 05:50:45 AM »

Made all the more damning by the fact that Angus Reid were one of the last to show AV in the lead when other pollsters were signalling NO gaining the upper hand.

Interesting to see various figures come out in recent days making direct appeals to Labour voters - to vote for their partisan interest. I've watched in amazement as Clegg and his merry Orange Bookers have done their utmost to extinguish any good feeling from Labour voters - the very same voters their AV hinges upon if it's to pass. Of course when AV's future started looking bleak he dismissed it as being not all that important to him, but that's been roundly disproven as he and his colleagues battle in an unprecedented scale during this coalition for it (something that again has registered terribly to Labour voters - a battle for self-interest but not his voters or the welfare state).

Some might blame YestoAV, but I think Clegg's played a shocking hand since May last year and I think it's now simply a case of how much his miserable little compromise loses by.

Nick Clegg is an idiot, I think we can all agree there. That doesn't say anything about AV, though.

AV would be inevitably better for him, as a politician. There we go.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2011, 06:33:46 AM »

Absolutely. Although I'd posit this referendum debate has been helped onto partisan levels by AV's weaknesses - the fact that it's still majoritarian means Labour and Tory voters sympathetic to PR have little reason to vote for it, with the Lib Dems being the only one's predicted to pick up seats from this.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #286 on: April 27, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

The Thick of It displaying the mentality of the Yes and No campaigns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2HQaF_vfes
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #287 on: April 27, 2011, 01:05:32 PM »

Mike Smithson makes an interesting point:

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2011/04/27/should-we-be-wary-about-bank-holiday-polling/
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #288 on: April 28, 2011, 06:56:50 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...wow. I also recall him saying that Labour was acting trotskyist at the Barnsley by-election result. Leadership material? Really?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #289 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2011, 09:06:11 AM by Refudiate »

ComRes has it at 60-40 for the No campaign.

Likely to change mind - 7%
Unlikely to change mind - 92%
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #290 on: April 28, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »

AV and kittehs:

http://youtu.be/HiHuiDD_oTk
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2011, 03:20:27 AM »

Nicely done!
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2011, 06:27:40 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/apr/30/cabinet-war-liberal-democrat-pact

When do we think Huhne's leadership bid will be announced? I also hate this meem that the Liberals would've preferenced Labour throughout the 50s, 60s, 70s. Jeremy Thorpe's Liberals were sooooo left-wing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2011, 06:33:27 PM »

Surely no one has suggested that the Liberals would have preferenced Labour in the 1950s? This campaign has been a carnival of stupid, but I think that would take the custard creams that get mentioned here on occasion.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »

Surely no one has suggested that the Liberals would have preferenced Labour in the 1950s? This campaign has been a carnival of stupid, but I think that would take the custard creams that get mentioned here on occasion.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's sort of what's being implied. If anything, the Tories were in government a lot because Labour made careless mistake after useless blunder after careless mistake. See: election 83, election 92, the 50s in general, et al. Hardly fair to blame FPTP for that...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »

Well, during the Gaitskell era maybe?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2011, 06:48:33 PM »

Ah, the usual Progressive Majority fantasyspeak. But what's he doing in this government if he thinks that?

Well, during the Gaitskell era maybe?

Lord no; the local pacts* were still in operation in 1959! Not that the Liberals had much time for the dirigiste Gaitskell anyway.

*As in Bolton; no Tory candidate in Bolton West, no Liberal candidate in Bolton East.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #297 on: April 30, 2011, 06:57:21 PM »

Wow, I didn't realise it was quite that bad.  Jeez, what a crappy system.  I thought the electoral college was awful!
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #298 on: April 30, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »

Wow, I didn't realise it was quite that bad.  Jeez, what a crappy system.  I thought the electoral college was awful!

The electoral college is really a warped, presidential version of FPTP. It's just that the US only has two parties so it works properly. When there's a significant 3rd candidate, it breaks down (Ralph Nader).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #299 on: April 30, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »

I know that, which is why countries with more than two significant parties have no business using FPTP.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies