UK AV Referendum Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK AV Referendum Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Poll
Question: Do you want the United Kingdom to adopt the 'alternative vote' system instead of the current 'first past the post' system for electing Members of Parliament to the House of Commons?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: UK AV Referendum Poll  (Read 39378 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: April 30, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

I know that, which is why countries with more than two significant parties have no business using FPTP.

Or any majoritarian system, for that matter. We're being asked whether we want a system that doesn't fit Britain or a new system which also doesn't fit the country.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #301 on: April 30, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »

I disagree with your latter assessment; pretty much anything is better than FPTP.  It seems like most of the specific arguments against AV have largely fallen flat.  Not that it matters any more though, once the matter of reforming the constitution became a debate on the Deputy Prime Minister instead.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #302 on: April 30, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »

I disagree with your latter assessment; pretty much anything is better than FPTP.

From the point of view you have, PR with two seat districts would be worse (actually that's dreadful from almost all points of view), as would FPTP with multi-seat districts (which we have in local elections in some places, notably London). Functionally, I don't think a switch from FPTP to optional-preference AV would make much of a difference.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Often the way with referendums.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: April 30, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »

The electoral college is really a warped, presidential version of FPTP. It's just that the US only has two parties so it works properly. When there's a significant 3rd candidate, it breaks down (Ralph Nader).

Nader never was and never could be a significant third candidate.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »

The electoral college is really a warped, presidential version of FPTP. It's just that the US only has two parties so it works properly. When there's a significant 3rd candidate, it breaks down (Ralph Nader).

Nader never was and never could be a significant third candidate.

Significant in that he, arguably, swung Florida to Bush...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #305 on: May 01, 2011, 03:30:30 AM »

I disagree with your latter assessment; pretty much anything is better than FPTP.

From the point of view you have, PR with two seat districts would be worse (actually that's dreadful from almost all points of view), as would FPTP with multi-seat districts (which we have in local elections in some places, notably London).
Well, yeah. But no one is thinking of introducing these things anywhere. It is only a matter of not enough people understanding that they need to go where they exist (the Chilene parliament and UK and some US local elections, respectively. Don't think they exist anywhere else in the world.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #306 on: May 01, 2011, 03:40:06 AM »

From the point of view you have, PR with two seat districts would be worse (actually that's dreadful from almost all points of view), as would FPTP with multi-seat districts (which we have in local elections in some places, notably London).
Well, yeah. But no one is thinking of introducing these things anywhere. It is only a matter of not enough people understanding that they need to go where they exist (the Chilene parliament and UK and some US local elections, respectively. Don't think they exist anywhere else in the world.)

I find it amusing but also sad that Chile still uses Pinochet's ridiculous electoral law. It may be the worst system in the world that isn't actively antidemocratic.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #307 on: May 01, 2011, 03:45:11 AM »

How does it work ? I'm curious.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2011, 03:57:39 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2011, 03:59:30 AM by now it's time to overreact »

You have one vote. Top two votegetters elected in every constituency.
I'm not sure, maybe it's D'Hondt and you can have a running mate and get both seats if you poll twice as much as the nearest opposition. Anyways the result is that parliament is always almost exactly half Conservative and half the Left Coalition (which really is a coalition, not a single party), with the occasional stray indy.

EDIT: Looks it up and yeah, that's right. Two candidate "lists", and D'Hondt. Oh, and they're open "lists", at least.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #309 on: May 01, 2011, 05:44:16 AM »

You have one vote. Top two votegetters elected in every constituency.
I'm not sure, maybe it's D'Hondt and you can have a running mate and get both seats if you poll twice as much as the nearest opposition. Anyways the result is that parliament is always almost exactly half Conservative and half the Left Coalition (which really is a coalition, not a single party), with the occasional stray indy.

EDIT: Looks it up and yeah, that's right. Two candidate "lists", and D'Hondt. Oh, and they're open "lists", at least.

LOL, that's retarded indeed.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #310 on: May 01, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »

The Sunday Times/YouGov says that voters think a Yes would hurt Dave slightly more than a No would hurt Clegg and a No vote would be slightly more likely to destablise the coalition. Wouldn't have expected that.

http://today.yougov.co.uk/sites/today.yougov.co.uk/files/st20110501.pdf
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #311 on: May 01, 2011, 08:35:19 AM »

It is only a matter of not enough people understanding that they need to go where they exist (the Chilene parliament and UK and some US local elections, respectively. Don't think they exist anywhere else in the world.)

Well, yeah. Was just pointing out that even from a 'proportionality is good' perspective, there are worse systems around than what we have now.

Of course one of the many reeking features of this unnecessary referendum is the fact that AV would only be introduced for General Elections, meaning that the far worse electoral system used in local elections in more than a few parts of the country (did you know that there are actually a few five member FPTP wards in Wales? Actually you probably did; most reading this won't though) will remain in place no matter the outcome of the poll.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #312 on: May 01, 2011, 08:45:04 AM »

To me it seems increadibly strange to use different voting systems for different levels of goverment. Of course the only variations that exist in Sweden is that County Council elections have a 3% threshold instead of a 4%, and that city council elections have no threshold at all and no evening out seats. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #313 on: May 01, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »

To me it seems increadibly strange to use different voting systems for different levels of goverment. Of course the only variations that exist in Sweden is that County Council elections have a 3% threshold instead of a 4%, and that city council elections have no threshold at all and no evening out seats. 

There's nothing British politicians love more than piecemeal reform, nothing the Civil Service hates more than comprehensive reform.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #314 on: May 01, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »

To me it seems increadibly strange to use different voting systems for different levels of goverment.

France beats every country for that matter :
- Two-round FPTP for Presidential.
- Two-round FPTP (with different qualification criteria) for Parliamentaries and Cantonals.
- Proportional representation by constituencies without a threshold for Europeans.
- Proportional representation with a 10% threshold and a 25% majority bonus for Regionals.
- Proportional representation with a 10% threshold and a 50% majority bonus for Municipals, except in Paris, Lyon and Marseille.

Not to speak about Senatorials...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #315 on: May 01, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »

Five seats? Crikey. I thought Welsh wards were small, mostly? (Okay, so not in Cardiff.) Where be these five member wards?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #316 on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »

Five seats? Crikey. I thought Welsh wards were small, mostly? (Okay, so not in Cardiff.) Where be these five member wards?

There are two in Swansea; Morriston and Sketty. Had those utter idiots on the Local Government Boundary Committee for Wales not been stopped before their deranged plans became official many more wards of that sort would have been drawn elsewhere in Wales.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #317 on: May 01, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »

Lol.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #318 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »

The Sunday Times/YouGov says that voters think a Yes would hurt Dave slightly more than a No would hurt Clegg and a No vote would be slightly more likely to destablise the coalition. Wouldn't have expected that.

Probably because, as an earlier question shown, the argument made by pro-AV-ers in a desperate appeal to Labour voters that it'll help keep the Tories out and Liberal/Labour in has gained traction.

As CS has pointed out, it's complete revisionism and a perfect example of the Pro-AV following the anti-AV crowd into the gutter, employing complete lies.

What was most interesting was the question asking what the referendum should've been on, and what the vote would be;

35% A referendum on PR
28% Neither
27% don't know
 9% A referendum on AV

...and if there were a referendum on PR

37% would vote in favour of retaining FPTP
34% would vote in favour of changing to PR
22% don't know
 7% wouldn't vote

So, a 3-point lead for FPTP>PR and a 10-point lead for FPTP>AV.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #319 on: May 01, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2011, 07:34:30 PM by Refudiate »

It's still got me annoyed how Huhne can even try and profess that he wants his party to be part of a progressive majority. As part of this coalition, he's part of the problem. I hope he'll man-up and resign, first thing on Friday morning, if he honestly thinks of himself as a progressive.

Although, he didn't have the guts to show up to the tuition vote, so I don't know if he'll have the guts to pull Clegg down.

AV's probably the only way Huhne's seat doesn't turn blue at the next election anyway.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #320 on: May 02, 2011, 07:01:10 AM »

Does anybody know to what level of detail the results will be reported?

In Scotland/Wales I suppose it makes sense to report by devolved consituency?

In England/Northern Ireland, by local authority?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #321 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »

Offtopic, but I just realized that with lots of people mixing their vote between parties or just voting for part of the slate of their preferred party and letting their remaining votes go to waste, it can be argued as if voters behave much as if under open list pr already. So it seems reasonable to count results on that principle to see what it would do to seat distribution.

I'll start with Swansea (obviously, the single seat wards don't need counting.) Brum might be interesting to do, too.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #322 on: May 02, 2011, 11:56:49 AM »

Note: I used D'Hondt.

Well, the overall composition change isn't huge:

Labour 26 (-4)
LD 23 (no change)
Con 7 (+3)
Independents 6 (-1)
independent@Swansea 6 (no change)
PC 3 (+2)
People's Representative 1 (no change)

Of this, 18 are elected in single-member seats anyhow:
Con 4, Labour 3, LD 3, Independents 3, i@Swansea 3, PC 1, People's Rep 1

For the remaining 54 councillors from 18 wards with 2 to 5 seats, it's

Labour 23 (-4), LD 20 (0), Independents 3 (-1), i@Swansea 3 (0), Con 3 (+3), PC 2 (+2)

by ward:
West Cross (2)
Labour 1 (-1), Con 1 (+1)
Dunvant (2)
LD 2 (no change)
Penyrheo (2)l
Labour 1, i@Swansea 1 (no change)
Pontarddulais (2)
Labour 1, i@Swansea 1 (no change)
Sketty (5)
LD 3 (-2), Con 1 (+1), Labour 1 (+1)
Uplands (4)
LD 3 (-1), Labour 1 (+1)
Townhill (3)
Labour 2 (-1), LD 1 (+1)
Castle (4)
Labour 2 (-2), LD 1 (+1), PC 1 (+1)
Cwmbwrla (3)
LD 3 (no change)
Cockett (4)
LD 2 (-2), Labour 1 (+1), PC 1 (+1)
Penderry (3)
Labour 2 (-1), LD 1 (+1)
Landore (2)
LD 1 (-1), Labour 1 (+1)
Mynyddbach (3)
Labour 2, i@Swansea 1 (no change)
Morriston (5)
Labour 3 (-2), LD 2 (+2)
Clydach (2)
Labour 1 (-1), LD 1 (+1)
Llansamlet (4)
Labour 2 (-1), Independents 1 (0), Con 1 (+1)
Bonymaen (2)
Labour 1 (0), Independents 1 (0)
Saint Thomas (2)
Independents 1 (-1), Labour 1 (+1)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #323 on: May 02, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »

I once had a summer camp counselor from Swansea.

He taught us to always spit after saying Cardiff.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #324 on: May 03, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »

Probably because, as an earlier question shown, the argument made by pro-AV-ers in a desperate appeal to Labour voters that it'll help keep the Tories out and Liberal/Labour in has gained traction.

As CS has pointed out, it's complete revisionism and a perfect example of the Pro-AV following the anti-AV crowd into the gutter, employing complete lies.

What was most interesting was the question asking what the referendum should've been on, and what the vote would be;

35% A referendum on PR
28% Neither
27% don't know
 9% A referendum on AV

...and if there were a referendum on PR

37% would vote in favour of retaining FPTP
34% would vote in favour of changing to PR
22% don't know
 7% wouldn't vote

So, a 3-point lead for FPTP>PR and a 10-point lead for FPTP>AV.

Talk about an enthusiasm gap..
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies