Coulter makes sense for once...kind of.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:21:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Coulter makes sense for once...kind of.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Coulter makes sense for once...kind of.  (Read 2520 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 02:18:37 PM »

Al Gore didn't resonate enough in his home state of Tennessee so, naturally, there was no way he was going to win the popular vote in 2000.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »

Al Gore didn't resonate enough in his home state of Tennessee so, naturally, there was no way he was going to win the popular vote in 2000.

Al Gore wasn't popular in Tennessee. Not to mention that he didn't represent the state for eight years.
And yet he lost much more narrowly than Christie's numbers against Obama.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »

In states like Ohio, Florida, Indiana, etc. where Republicans HAVE to win to win the presidency. NJ would just be icing on the cake.

I'm not making the point that Republicans need New Jersey to win, I am making the point that Christie's crossover appeal isn't that big in his own state and it's not a good sign that he can have that appeal elsewhere.

He has a 23% approval rating among Democrats. That's not crossover appeal? If you think he's going to get Scott Brown levels of Democratic support in an election, that's just not going to happen. If he can get 10-15% he'd be fine.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »

Al Gore wasn't a sitting statewide official in Tennessee at the time of the election and hadn't been for years. I don't think a sitting Governor or Senator who could even possibly lose their own home state is all that viable.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 02:33:28 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2011, 03:00:56 PM by Estes Kefauver »

He has a 23% approval rating among Democrats. That's not crossover appeal? If you think he's going to get Scott Brown levels of Democratic support in an election, that's just not going to happen. If he can get 10-15% he'd be fine.

Approval is one thing, actual crossover votes is another thing, not everyone that approves of a Governor will vote for them.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »

I'm not making the point that Republicans need New Jersey to win, I am making the point that Christie's crossover appeal isn't that big in his own state and it's not a good sign that he can have that appeal elsewhere.

Approval is one thing, actual crossover votes is another thing, not everyone that approves of a Governor will vote for them.
[/quote]

Indeed. Just imagine any Democrat saying that David Freudenthal should run for President because he had a 70% approval rating in Wyoming.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »

I don't disagree with that and I said as much in my last post. If he(or any Republican) gets 10-15% of Dem support in the important states they would be fine and have a chance.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »

The problem is, he's not even within striking distance in the polling of New Jersey, so that doesn't say a whole lot about crossover appeal. A sitting governor who can't pull at least an even number in his own state is going to have problems elsewhere.

In a swing state, sure that would make sense. But Obama won NJ by 15 points last time.

If Christie is losing his home state by the same amount that McCain lost it, what does that say about the rest of the country? If he had a chance, the numbers would be closer to Bush 2004, when Kerry won it by only 7 points.

It doesn't matter because Christie isn't running anyway. I think he knows that the eventual 2012 republican nominee is likely to lose at this point, and is aiming for 2016. And he also probably genuinely wants to be governor of New Jersey longer.

If I were a republican, I wouldn't be advocating for my favorite candidates to get the nomination in 2012. I'd let this cycle pass so that the current mediocre crop can be passed (a la Democrats 2004) and then look forward to genuine prospects in 2016.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 05:38:06 PM »

I can see why conservatives may like Christie more than Romney, but what is the argument that he is a better general election candidate?

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »

I remember in 2008 when Ann Coulter went on O'Reilly and he asked her opinion on several of the candidates, and was dismissive of all of them until he got to Mitt Romney, her reaction to whom was borderline ogasmic.

Her method or way of picking her favorite candidate(s) takes away much from her opinions on them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »

Al Gore wasn't a sitting statewide official in Tennessee at the time of the election and hadn't been for years. I don't think a sitting Governor or Senator who could even possibly lose their own home state is all that viable.

What does that matter? He was a Senator and a Congressman from said state for awhile and helped Clinton carry it in 1992 and 1996.

You're clueless if you think someone isn't viable because they can't win their home state especially when that state is usually safe the other way. It isn't necessary for victory so it has no impact on a candidate's viability.

If Christie is losing his home state by the same amount that McCain lost it, what does that say about the rest of the country?

Here's the obvious answer: the rest of the country isn't as Democratic/liberal as New Jersey!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Totally different set of circumstances. By the way, why are we all taking this one poll to be golden? He's losing by the same margin as Huckabee. Does anyone really think that would happen?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »

You're right, it's worse!
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »

If Christie is losing his home state by the same amount that McCain lost it, what does that say about the rest of the country?

Here's the obvious answer: the rest of the country isn't as Democratic/liberal as New Jersey!

I'm not saying it is. But if Christie is losing New Jersey by the same amount that McCain lost it, even if you completely ignore the home state factor boosting his numbers, then he's about on par with McCain. Which is great for Christie except that McCain sort of lost, by a good amount.

Totally different set of circumstances. By the way, why are we all taking this one poll to be golden? He's losing by the same margin as Huckabee. Does anyone really think that would happen?
[/quote]

Of course this poll isn't accurate. It's assuming that Chris Christie is running in 2012, which he isn't.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 08:45:27 PM »

I'm not saying it is. But if Christie is losing New Jersey by the same amount that McCain lost it, even if you completely ignore the home state factor boosting his numbers, then he's about on par with McCain. Which is great for Christie except that McCain sort of lost, by a good amount.

He's on par with McCain...in New Jersey. That has no baring on the national landscape.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 08:51:37 PM »

What does that matter? He was a Senator and a Congressman from said state for awhile and helped Clinton carry it in 1992 and 1996.

It matters a lot, when Gore lost, he hadn't represented Tennessee for awhile, it was a lot different losing your own home state when you aren't a top statewide official.

You really ought to cease with the name calling, it doesn't help your argument. That said, one of the reasons Christie is even talked up is because he won the Governor's seat in a blue state. Rather the state is necessary for a win isn't my point, it's about crossover appeal. As a sitting Governor, one would have to show a few points of crossover appeal in their own home state in order to crossover in a Presidential election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 08:58:54 PM »

You really ought to cease with the name calling, it doesn't help your argument. That said, one of the reasons Christie is even talked up is because he won the Governor's seat in a blue state. Rather the state is necessary for a win isn't my point, it's about crossover appeal. As a sitting Governor, one would have to show a few points of crossover appeal in their own home state in order to crossover in a Presidential election.

Wrong. Totally wrong.

One of the reasons why Christie is talked up is because he's a conservative Governor in a liberal state. That isn't his only strong point with Republicans.

Also, I still don't understand why lacking crossover appeal in a state that is pretty solid for the opposition in a Presidential election year means someone cannot have crossover appeal elsewhere. I think you know it is a foolish point, too. It's just so obvious.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »

Wrong. Totally wrong.

One of the reasons why Christie is talked up is because he's a conservative Governor in a liberal state. That isn't his only strong point with Republicans.

Also, I still don't understand why lacking crossover appeal in a state that is pretty solid for the opposition in a Presidential election year means someone cannot have crossover appeal elsewhere. I think you know it is a foolish point, too. It's just so obvious.

If crossover appeal wasn't some of the reasoning behind Republicans talking him up, then why is that his being a conservative Governor in a liberal state even a strong point for him? You are contradicting yourself and don't even realize it.

Here it is in plain terms. There is nothing to support that Christie being a "conservative Governor in a liberal state" is really anything substantial in terms of Presidential viability. You can call all the names you want, it doesn't change that fact.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2011, 09:45:08 PM by redcommander »

Coulter is just being hypocritical. She was the woman who afterall touted Mitt Romney as "the charming, conservative, handsome, smart, candidate in Reagan's mold" last time around, and now that he has a chance she is throwing him under the bus? Romney has a decent shot at beating Obama. He wouldn't make an idiotic choice of a runningmate like McCain did as a cheap ass attempt at winning the female vote, and he has an excellent record for someone who had to govern in the only state McGovern won, and with a Democratic supermajority in the state legislature. But see too many people in the Republican party were dumb enough to not vote for him last time around, and I'm sure there will be plenty come 2012 as well. I only hope that Republicans don't blow their chances by dismissing Romney because of certain policies he implemented when trying to govern a heavily left leaning state.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »

Coulter is just being hypocritical. She was the woman who afterall touted Mitt Romney as "the charming, conservative, handsome, smart, candidate in Reagan's mold last time around, and now that he has a chance she is throwing him under the bus? Romney has a decent shot at beating Obama. He wouldn't make an idiotic choice of a runningmate like McCain did as a cheapass attempt at winning the female vote, and he has an excellent record for someone who had to govern in the only state McGovern won, and with a Democratic supermajority in the state legislature. But see too many people in the Republican party were dumb enough to not vote for him last time around, and I'm sure there will be plenty come 2012 as well. I only hope that Republicans don't blow their chances by dismissing Romney because of certain policies he implemented when trying to govern a heavily left leaning state.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »

I remember in 2008 when Ann Coulter went on O'Reilly and he asked her opinion on several of the candidates, and was dismissive of all of them until he got to Mitt Romney, her reaction to whom was borderline ogasmic.

Her method or way of picking her favorite candidate(s) takes away much from her opinions on them.

She felt a tingling up her leg many times when she talked about Romney last time around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wefVWfmPt8I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaExYKXfOGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQU3VYK5sk
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 10:11:26 PM »

If crossover appeal wasn't some of the reasoning behind Republicans talking him up, then why is that his being a conservative Governor in a liberal state even a strong point for him? You are contradicting yourself and don't even realize it.

Because it proves that long odds can be overcome. New Jersey Democrats might be too stubborn to vote for anyone but Obama/any other Democrat in a Presidential race but Democrats in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Florida, etc. are a different story.
Its Evolution Baby
BoomerSooner92
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: 8.35

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 10:31:13 PM »

Ann Coulter and the word "sense" do not belong in the same sentence.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies