Boycott the Renamed Airports!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:11:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Boycott the Renamed Airports!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Boycott the Renamed Airports!  (Read 2848 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »

Hartsfield-Jackson is the Atlanta Airport Wink

You can have an airport in New Joisey.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »

Hartsfield-Jackson is the Atlanta Airport Wink

You can have an airport in New Joisey.

I call Newark Int'l!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »

Political leaders elected by the people don't speak for the people? Okay dude...

And considering that the local governments of Northern Virginia and DC are not represented in this game at all I don't really know how you expect us to listen to their input.

um, we do have a Mideast assembly.  on the other hand, we have more important things to do than rename airports. such trivialities are best left up to the Feds.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »

I call O'Hare.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 11:27:51 PM »

I'd call MSP... but I like generic names... so Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport it shall remain. 

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 02:49:55 AM »

Why didn't we just change it back to Washington National? Or Nyman national in this case....?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »

You make my day. Roll Eyes
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »

I said "earlier", that is, their names immediately before this bill passed, not "original".

The airport was named after the country's first president until 1998, when Republicans in Congress forced it to change its name against the wishes of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority and the people of D.C. and NoVA.

You see that little red county at the top there? Arlington County? Yeah, that's where the airport is located.

And while we're at it:

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/index.html

President Washington > President Reagan x 100.

FWIW, I would've preferred the amendment to name them after Nym and Wixted. That said, yes it was a bit of political hackery, in response to original political hackery by renaming the airport to begin with. Our Senate is part of an online political sim entitled to some silliness in government. What was the US Congress's excuse in 1998?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »

Huh... I was refering to TrueCon.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 02:32:40 PM »

The new law is equally as silly the old law. Furthermore, it's equally silly for defenders of the bill to cite the partisan nature of the right to justify their own partisanship. We should just name them after Atlasia's founders, hold hands, and be happy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »

The new law is equally as silly the old law. Furthermore, it's equally silly for defenders of the bill to cite the partisan nature of the right to justify their own partisanship. We should just name them after Atlasia's founders, hold hands, and be happy.

Partisanship isn't a bad thing when the purpose of the bill is so futile anyways. I don't see what's bad with being partisan there.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 02:35:25 PM »

That was the aim of my amendment to the bill but sadly it didn't go through.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »

Uh, that's not what we're doing. Were pointing out that OfficePark is being ridiculous to decry our "partisanship" while defending the Reagan name.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »

Uh, that's not what we're doing. Were pointing out that OfficePark is being ridiculous to decry our "partisanship" while defending the Reagan name.

Well, when you're right-wing hack, that's ok, appearently...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »

Has anyone taken into consideration the cost of changing the name for these airports?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 08:10:06 PM »

Has anyone taken into consideration the cost of changing the name for these airports?

If you really care so much, you can look up how much it cost in 1998 to rename it after Reagan, account for inflation, and double it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »

If you really care so much, you can look up how much it cost in 1998 to rename it after Reagan, account for inflation, and double it.
It was a small amount, but I honestly don't see why we are wasting any taxpayer money on something like this.

I agree with HappyWarrior on this entire issue - If we're going to rename Atlasian airports, let's at least rename them after Atlasians. It was partisan politics to name this after Reagan 13 years ago, and it's partisan politics that's changing it now.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »

It was a small amount, but I honestly don't see why we are wasting any taxpayer money on something like this.

I agree with HappyWarrior on this entire issue - If we're going to rename Atlasian airports, let's at least rename them after Atlasians. It was partisan politics to name this after Reagan 13 years ago, and it's partisan politics that's changing it now.

yes, it is hackery, I have never denied that. But it has accomplished exactly what I wanted it to. With ~90 posts in the Senate thread and 40+ here, it has probably become the most discussed bill in this Senate... Maybe it's silly that this is the kind of thing that generates activity, but whatever, it's working. Tongue
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2011, 08:30:08 PM by True Conservative »

Is it partisan to have airports named after FDR or JFK? No, and the same goes for Reagan. Mondale didn't do anything to merit an airport named after him, on the other hand. We know why the Senate voted to give him the name of an airport, and it's because he's a leftist. That's why I'm claiming that the liberals are engaging in hackery, and I maintain that position.

And even bgwah admitted that he was being a hack! (see above post)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2011, 07:51:48 AM by Gustaf »

Is it partisan to have airports named after FDR or JFK? No, and the same goes for Reagan. Mondale didn't do anything to merit an airport named after him, on the other hand. We know why the Senate voted to give him the name of an airport, and it's because he's a leftist. That's why I'm claiming that the liberals are engaging in hackery, and I maintain that position.

If airports already named after Presidents were renamed after FDR and JFK, then yeah, I think that would be partisan.

Mondale was VP. Interesting that illegally selling weapons to Iran and illegally funding death squads "merits" the 1998 renaming, though.

Moderator edit!
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »

If airports already named after Presidents were renamed after FDR and JFK, then yeah, I think that would be partisan.

Mondale was VP. Interesting that illegally selling weapons to Iran and illegally funding death squads "merits" the 1998 renaming, though.

But, no offense, you've proven that you are quite intellectually limited, so there's probably no use trying to explain these seemingly easy concepts to you. I'll let you get back to playing with your colored blocks now.

What?! You don't know who you're messing with, sir. If I used foul language, I'd give you a piece of my mind! Go troll somewhere else!!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 12:57:12 AM »

My point still stands, bgwah. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution