"Raise the Standard" Coalition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:25:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  "Raise the Standard" Coalition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: "Raise the Standard" Coalition  (Read 5015 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2004, 02:42:36 AM »

Friends,

This idea has been brought up before but I think there now may be enough concensus and enough concern to do something about it.  If this forum is overrun by trolls or random friends of current posters who are just there to abuse the results of an election, then there is very little hope for our future.  The time has come to raise the posting standard.  I would place the new standard at 50 posts, though I would welcome any number above 18.

I do not wish in any way to discourage new people from joining the forum.  But we do have a clear problem here that must be solved.  People should spend a little time around here, learning about the diversity of parties, ideologies, and people before exercising their right to vote.

If you believe as I do that it's time to Raise the Standard, then we need to start talking about this and getting legislation back on the table that will fix this problem.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 02:45:05 AM »

How about this, we still have the minimun of 18 posts, but people with less than 50 posts have to vote in every election to keep their registration?
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 02:54:03 AM »

18 posts does not afford a poster enough time to even begin to comprehend the issues that face Atlasia and make an informed decision when they vote.

How about this, we still have the minimun of 18 posts, but people with less than 50 posts have to vote in every election to keep their registration?
LesterMaddox
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 03:11:33 AM »

We don't require real voters to make an informed decision, why should we expect more from a fantasy?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 03:28:22 AM »

I personally suggest that the time limit be raised to discourage people from spamming.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 03:56:54 AM »

It was set at 18 to correspond with age 18... but we have posters here with over 10,000 posts.  If we extrapolate that number to correspond with the highest age in real life (100+), then the post minimum should be 1,800. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 04:10:26 AM »

It was set at 18 to correspond with age 18... but we have posters here with over 10,000 posts.  If we extrapolate that number to correspond with the highest age in real life (100+), then the post minimum should be 1,800. Smiley

I think that's some strained symbolism that can be dropped. Wink
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 04:20:35 AM »

So all I'm asking is for the posting limit to be raised from 18 (the equivalent of a 2 month old infant) to 50 (a 6 month old infant) Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 05:14:15 AM »

I agree fullly.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 08:27:14 AM »

I don't see a huge problem. What about people who have verified registrations yet don't have 50 posts. Would their registrations be delcared invalid, or would it not include them?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 08:35:09 AM »

Friends,

This idea has been brought up before but I think there now may be enough concensus and enough concern to do something about it. If this forum is overrun by trolls or random friends of current posters who are just there to abuse the results of an election, then there is very little hope for our future. The time has come to raise the posting standard. I would place the new standard at 50 posts, though I would welcome any number above 18.

I do not wish in any way to discourage new people from joining the forum. But we do have a clear problem here that must be solved. People should spend a little time around here, learning about the diversity of parties, ideologies, and people before exercising their right to vote.

If you believe as I do that it's time to Raise the Standard, then we need to start talking about this and getting legislation back on the table that will fix this problem.

I agree Don, I will help you in your efforts on this issue.

I don't see a huge problem. What about people who have verified registrations yet don't have 50 posts. Would their registrations be delcared invalid, or would it not include them?

Easy...Just declare a deadline. Whoever registers before the deadline only needs 18 posts, after they will need the higher number.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 08:36:43 AM »

Friends,

This idea has been brought up before but I think there now may be enough concensus and enough concern to do something about it. If this forum is overrun by trolls or random friends of current posters who are just there to abuse the results of an election, then there is very little hope for our future. The time has come to raise the posting standard. I would place the new standard at 50 posts, though I would welcome any number above 18.

I do not wish in any way to discourage new people from joining the forum. But we do have a clear problem here that must be solved. People should spend a little time around here, learning about the diversity of parties, ideologies, and people before exercising their right to vote.

I agree Don, I will help you in your efforts on this issue.

Easy...Just declare a deadline. Whoever registers before the deadline only needs 18 posts, after they will need the higher number.

That would work. I support this until someone makes an inspiring arguement against it. It would need to be a Const. Amendment, so some Senator would need to propose it.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 09:10:46 AM »

I agree with this 100% Don.  Personally, I think 50 posts is even a bit low, but we have to start somewhere.  A person can register and then get 18 posts in one day, a couple of days tops if the person is posting on a regular basis.  Most of these new people tend to say the same thing:

John Doe
Democrat or Republican
State X

Hey, what's this fantasy board all about?

These people have little to no idea what is going on in fantasy politics, and as such tend to just vote party line with no regard for the people involved, and then tend lose interest shortly after the election.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 09:44:13 AM »

People with over 123 posts should be declared dead and banned from holding office. Smiley They can still vote from the graveyard.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 10:05:57 AM »

In addition to this, we should consider raising the number of posts required for someone to run for an elected office.  If the minimum number of posts required to vote is 50, then people will be able to run for Senate before they can vote.  Like a 16 year old running for US Senate Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 12:00:39 PM »

I think we need to raise the standard.  18 posts was the set limit when the fantasy government did not deal with real issues and, on average, a new poster logged on every 3 days.  Today, we have 3 new posters a day and the issues are far more complex.

Raise it to 50.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 12:32:51 PM »

Raise the Standard! I fully support this cause.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2004, 12:38:05 PM »

I agree fully with this. When I had 18 posts I barely knew what was going on. I had to create a thread just so that I could ask questions. 50 posts would give people time to get to know the forum and get a feel for how things are done.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2004, 01:59:26 PM »

Since it takes 50 to be a Junior Member, 100 to be a Full Member, and 250 to be a Senior Member those would be logical breakpoints for voter, Senator, and President respectively, if we should choose to increase the values.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2004, 03:00:32 PM »

Since it takes 50 to be a Junior Member, 100 to be a Full Member, and 250 to be a Senior Member those would be logical breakpoints for voter, Senator, and President respectively, if we should choose to increase the values.

An excellent suggestion.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2004, 03:12:29 PM »

I'm not so sure about this. Although I am one to get mad at the uninformed, I still think an opinion is an opinion.

Maybe when a new member registers, we could ask them questions as to what Atlasian issue matters to them most or what legislation the are most strongly for or against. It'll have them looking through the Government board before they even register.

But kudos to Don for making a snazzy logo for it before it picks up steam!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2004, 05:45:41 PM »

I agree... personally I'd be happy with 100.. but there ya go Smiley ... 50 sounds good to me.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2004, 06:01:17 PM »

Great idea!

Don, I support the cause.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2004, 07:47:18 PM »

Agreed.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2004, 08:28:14 PM »

Agreed.

I also agree.

Additionally, I like Alcon's idea of a time limit to prevent spamming. Perhaps

To vote: 7 days at atlas + 50 posts
To run for senate: 14 days at atlas +100 posts
To run for president: 30 days at atlas + 250 posts
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies