Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 12:55:34 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  IDS Budget and Tax Committee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: IDS Budget and Tax Committee  (Read 8032 times)
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:31:25 pm »
Ignore

Since we have just created his body, I think it's only proper that a thread be created for it. The Emperor & Imperial Speaker shall be co-chairs, but any elected regional official may take a seat (up to five total). Furthermore, any citizen of the region is welcome to aid in the process.

The purpose of this committee is to ascertain the region's current tax rates & expenditures, so as to formulate a budget for the region. At the beginning of the next legislative session in late March, we will have to decide on whether or not to keep this as a permanent entity in the regional government.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:47:17 pm »
Ignore

Thank you, Emperor PiT, for setting this up.  I want to apologize for my absence; I haven't had time for much else than a few posts in the 2012 forum this week.  I don't have much to report on the budget as of yet.

As the first action of this body, I propose that each co-chair present his findings in this thread one day out of every week, effective this week.  This way, the committee won't slip our minds quite as easily.

To the citizens of the IDS: Please Help!  This is a big task; we need all the help we can get.  If you remember reading somewhere about something related to the South/Southeast/Dirty South/Imperial Dominion of the South's budget, please let us know.

With that said, may the fun begin!

Goodbye
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:54:56 pm »
Ignore

I am fine with that proposal. Actually, I think I might make one post at the beginning of each week & edit it to include any new findings as the week progresses. That should be a good way to keep my thoughts organized.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »
Ignore

I am fine with that proposal. Actually, I think I might make one post at the beginning of each week & edit it to include any new findings as the week progresses. That should be a good way to keep my thoughts organized.
Sounds great.

I was looking through wiki and, unless I read it wrong, the only laws cataloged are initiatives.  I realize this is probably outside the scope of this committee but, if that's correct, something must be done to update it.

Goodbye
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:59:26 pm »
Ignore

Sounds great.

I was looking through wiki and, unless I read it wrong, the only laws cataloged are initiatives.  I realize this is probably outside the scope of this committee but, if that's correct, something must be done to update it.

Indeed, not a single law has been catalogued since the creation of the Legislature. I have a lot to do this weekend, but I'll try to get at least a couple of laws up on the Wiki.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »
Ignore

Sounds great.

Indeed, not a single law has been catalogued since the creation of the Legislature. I have a lot to do this weekend, but I'll try to get at least a couple of laws up on the Wiki.
Sounds good.  Do you, by any chance, know where to find the old legislative threads?  Search didn't turn up anything.

Goodbye
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »
Ignore

Interesting endeavour.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:16 pm »
Ignore

Sounds great.

Sounds good.  Do you, by any chance, know where to find the old legislative threads?  Search didn't turn up anything.

Prior to the creation of the Imperial Legislature, except for a universal legislature that briefly existed in 2006, all laws were passed by referendum. You should be able to find all of the old voting booths looking on the Voting Booth board.

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:59:26 pm »
Ignore

Heartily endorsed! This is something I hope all regions will undertake in some form in the foreseeable future.

Please let me know how the GM's Office can be of assistance.

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:23:52 pm »
Ignore

Heartily endorsed! This is something I hope all regions will undertake in some form in the foreseeable future.

Please let me know how the GM's Office can be of assistance.

Thank you.  If you happen to be looking through any old papers in your office that have (one of the south's many) names on it and a $ figure next to the name, please let us know. 

Goodbye
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 05:25:51 pm »
Ignore

Cataloging the Legislature

My first step will be to catalog every spending bill passed by the Southeast/IDS legislature.  I'll edit this post.  PiT, if you would do the same for the initiatives I would be very grateful.

Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature

Our law code, unless modified by initiative, is by default that of Georgia c. 2006.  The following was passed by the RL Georgian legislature in April of 2006, meaning it would be in statute for the Southeast Region.
-page 13; April 18, 2010

Put the "free" back in Free Enterprise Bill

1. All non-federal business regulations in the Southeast are hereby repealed.

2. From July 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010 all taxes on corporate income shall be set to 10%. Starting January 1, 2011, the rate at which corporations are taxed shall be set at 8.6%

3. All new businesses in the SE shall not have their income taxed within the first year of starting. In addition, all new businesses in the SE shall have an income tax rate of 5% in their second year of establishment.
-page 17; May 11, 2010*

Southeastern Educational Incentive Act
1. The Southeast shall provide a $1,000 tax credit per student, indexed to the Atlasian rate of inflation of currency, to all households who have a member enrolled in an institute of higher learning full-time, and a $500 tax credit, indexed to the Atlasian rate of inflation of currency, to a member enrolled part-time. An institute of higher learning shall be defined as any accredited trade school, community college, four-year college, or university.
2. The credit provided shall not exceed the total value of the income tax assessed. (i.e. taxation cannot be less than $0)
3. A full-time student shall be deemed any student who successfully completes a total of 24 credit hours per year, or completes 12 credit hours per semester.
4. A part-time student  shall be deemed any student who successfully completes at least 6, but no more than 23 credit hours per year, or who completes at least 3, but no more than 11, credit hours per semester.
5. This law shall take effect starting for students enrolled within institutes of higher learning during the semester starting in the Fall of 2010.
6. In order to be eligible for the credit, households must be based within the Southeast, though students may study elsewhere.
7. In addition, this credit shall only apply to those households whose annual income after charitable and other deductions is $250,000 or below. This value also shall be indexed to the Atlasian rate of inflation of currency.
page 33; July 23, 2010*

Pentagram Creation Act
1.  A giant structure is to be built in the shape of a Pentagram.
          a.  The interior of the Pentagram is to be an intricate maze.
          b.  The walls are to be several stories high and made of black marble.
2.  The construction of said Pentagram shall be contracted out to a regional construction company.
3.  The Pentagram should, upon completion, be designated a tourist attraction.
4. The Pentagram shall be built in the city of Memphis, TN, outside the southern border of the Capital Complex, facing the Capitol Building.
5. 80% of revenues from ticket sales for admission to the Pentagram shall go into the Treasury of the Imperial Dominion of the South. The remaining 20% shall go to the contractors responsible for the construction of the Pentagram.
          a. Up to half of that shall be withdrawn by the government of the Imperial Dominion of the South, until that amount withdrawn is equal to the amount that the government of the Imperial Dominion of the South's contractual expenditures in the construction of the Pentagram.
-page 44; September 23, 2010*

Looks like the President has designated $750M to the DS for now. He hasn't allocated the full $15 billion for 2010 yet. Anyway, unless I continue with the bill to override, that's what we have for now. We did get the most of all the regions.
-page 58; November 28, 2010
NOTE: This is the Highway Fund from the federal government (I think)

Duke Greenway Road Creation Act

1.  This act creates a state road running along the path specified.
2.  This road shall be named Duke Greenway
3.  Construction of the Duke Greenway shall be paid for with $140 million dollars taken from the Highway Fund.
4.  The map below is the specified path.
-page 59' November 20, 2010

Road Creation Act- Blanche Lincoln Boulevard- Monticello, Ark.

1.   This act creates a new segment of Arkansas State Highway 35, with four lanes total, a divided highway running along the path specified, with new oak trees planted in the center median (local government will decide how many, and how far apart they shall be spaced), with at-grade intersections.
2.   This divided highway shall be named Blanche Lincoln Boulevard.
3.   The map below is the specified path.
4.   This bill appropriates $100,000,000 for the completion of this project
-page 60; December 1, 2010

2010 Federal Stimulus Act
-page 61 (old copy); December 3, 2010

$5,000,000,000 total
highest priority is infrastructure
lowest priority is sewer & water treatment filtration
-page 61; December 5, 2010
NOTE: This somehow ties in with the 2010 Federal Stimulus Act (How?)

III Act

Improving Imperial Infrastructure

1.  The regional government of the Imperial Dominion of the South hereby allocates $300 million to the states for infrastructure projects.

2.  The funds will be allocated to the states in the following manner.
Alabama: $15,500,000
Arkansas: $9,200,000
Florida: $60,600,000
Georgia: $31,100,000
Louisiana: $14,900,000
Mississippi: $9,600,000
North Carolina: $30,400,000
Puerto Rico: $12,400,000
South Carolina: $14,900,000
Tennessee: $20,400,000
Texas: $81,000,000

3.  Infrastructure projects shall be defined as any of the constructs in the following categories.

---Transportation Infrastructure
Road, highway, and railway networks including relevant structures such as bridges, tunnels, culverts, retaining walls, signs and communications systems, electrical systems, edge treatments, road maintenance depots, rest areas, and terminal facilities
Canals and navigable waterways requiring continuous maintenance
Seaports and lighthouses
Airports and air navigational systems
Mass transit systems
Pedestrian walkways and bicycle paths
Ferries
---Energy Infrastructure
Electrical Power Networks including generating plants, electric grid, substations, and local distribution
Natural gas and Petroleum pipelines, storage, and distribution terminals
Coal mines and specialized facilities for washing, storing, and transporting coal
Steam and hot water production for district heating systems
---Water Management Infrastructure
Drinking water supply systems
Sewage collection and waste water disposal
Drainage systems
Major irrigation systems (reservoirs, irrigation canals)
Major flood control systems (dikes, levees, major pumping stations and floodgates)
---Communications Infrastructure
Postal service, including sorting faculties
Telephone networks (land lines) including switching systems
Mobile phone networks
Television and radio transmission stations, including the regulations and standards governing broadcasting
Cable television physical networks including receiving stations and cable distribution networks. (Does not include content providers or "networks" when used in the sense of a specialized channel such as CNN or MTV)
---Solid Waste Management
Municipal garbage and recyclables collection;
Solid waste landfills
Solid waste incinerators and plasma gasification facilities
Materials recovery facilities
Hazardous waste disposal facilities
-page 68; December 30, 2010
NOTE: With the passage of this bill, $300 million is left from money allocated by the Federal Government for infrastructure projects
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:02:34 pm by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »Logged

Goodbye
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 05:53:28 pm »
Ignore

Alright, I'll look through the initiatives later today. I plan on getting a bunch of bills up tonight, so looking for any taxation provisions in the initiatives shouldn't be a problem.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 06:59:41 pm »
Ignore

My first post exceeded the 11,000 character limit so below is the rest of it.  So that's everything money-related in the Legislative thread.  I did notice some bills without any monetary specifications but budgetary implications (just about everything that doesn't have to do with the rules, function and names of government).  Do I need to go back and log all of that so it can be taken into account when we create the budget or can we just use Georgia law in these grey areas.  Also, when it comes to our baseline tax revenue, should it be based off the actual total population of the United States southeast or should be use a mathematical equation based on our in-game population to arrive at that total?

Regional Stimulus Distribution Bill

This bill shall be passed into law concerning the funds disbursed to the Imperial Dominion of the South pursuant to Section 2, Subsection e of the 2010 Federal Stimulus Act. All Clause numbers given in this bill shall refer to the Clauses passed into law under the aforementioned Act, Section, and Subsection.

1. From Clause 1 of the bill,
     a. $1,000,000,000 shall be distributed to the states of the region for the purposes outlined by the Clause in question, in the same ratios as prescribed by Section 2 of the III Act.
     b. From Clause 1 of the bill, $4,000,000,000 shall be distributed to the regional Department of Transportation, to be dedicated to the construction, retrofitting, & maintenance of interstate bridges and highways.

2. From Clause 2 of the bill, $3,000,000,000 shall be distributed to the states of the region for the purposes outlined by the clause in question, in the same ratios as prescribed by Section 2 of the III Act.

3. From Clause 3 of the bill, $2,000,000,000 shall be distributed to the states of the region for the purposes outlined by the clause in question, in the same ratios as prescribed by Section 2 of the III Act.

4. From Clause 4, Sub-Clause A of the bill,
     a. $10,000,000 shall be devoted to the renovation of the Regional Buildings throughout the region.
     b. $990,000,000 shall be disbursed to the regional Department of Labor for the establishment of a regional worker retraining program that will make use of the space renovated pursuant to Section 4a of this bill.
     c. $2,000,000,000 shall be disbursed to the states of the region for the purposes outlined in the clause and sub-clause in question in the following manner:
Alabama: $93,000,000
Arkansas: $49,700,000
Florida: $487,700,000
Georgia: $211,300,000
Louisiana: $80,300,000
Mississippi: $63,400,000
North Carolina: $199,500,000
Puerto Rico: $134,800,000
South Carolina: $105,900,000
Tennessee: $128,900,000
Texas: $445,500,000

5. From Clause 4, Sub-Clause B of the bill, $2,000,000,000 shall be disbursed to the regional Department of Education to be used in conjunction with the Southeastern Educational Incentive Act.      
     a. An additional tax credit shall be addended and made disbursed to all students who qualify for a tax credit under the Southeastern Educational Incentive Act.
     b. The value of this tax credit shall equal 50% of the value of the tax credit that the students in question are entitled to under the Southeastern Educational Incentive Act and be disbursed to students in order of increasing annual income after charitable and other deductions.
     c. Once the funds supplied by the relevant clause and sub-clause of the bill have been depleted, the continued disbursement of this tax credit shall be terminated immediately.
-page 73; January 20, 2011
NOTE: I'm feeling quite stimulated Wink

Atlasia Dispatch-Herald

Regional Budgets Released
Southeast: This region has revenue of $632 billion and expenses of $630 billion, resulting in a surplus of $2 billion. The surplus is mostly a result of increased taxation, in addition to crisis funds from the federal government. The Southeast has also had success curbing lavish expenditures that had been typical of the region before the creation of the Southeast Legislature. It is recommended that surplus revenue be used predominantly to help the continued troubled industries in the Southeast through a combination of tax cuts/credits and subsidies.
-page 16; April 29, 2010

Goodbye
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 03:26:02 am »
Ignore

Section 6 of the Southeast Lottery Regulations, adopted on November 5, 2004, as amended by the Expanding Choice Initiative, passed on July 18, 2005:
A Lottery General Fund shall be established. This Fund shall receive monies from the operation of the games run by Lottery Commission as described above. It shall be used to pay the expenses of administering the games, including promotional expenses. No more than 8% of the monies entered into the Lottery General Fund in any fiscal year may be used for administrative expenses. At the end of each fiscal quarter, 92% of the monies in the Lottery General Fund shall be transferred to the Lottery Education Fund.

Sections 3-6 of the Excise Tax Administration Initiative, passed on January 24, 2005:
Section 3 - Licensing
When an initiative providing for an excise tax calls for certain classes of persons to be licensed:

(1) A licensee must not be convicted of a felony for any crime or of a misdemanor involving the deliberate evasion of taxes.
(2) The collecting authority may charge a fee for the license which shall not exceed 125% of the costs directly attributable to the issuance of said licenses.
(3) Acting in a capacity that requires a license without obtaining said license shall:
(A) if acting in such capacity did not require the person to collect or remit excise taxes under that law, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than $1,000 per month the person acted in such capacity, or
(B) if acting is such capacity as required the person to collect or remit excise taxes under that law, be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than $10,000, 30 days imprisonment, or both per month the person acted in such capacity.
(4) A person guilty of a misdemeanor under paragraph (3) shall have the punishment trebled if it is determined in a court of law that he was aware that:
(A) such capacity required such a license, and
(B) that he was ineligible for such license because of paragraph (1).

Section 4 - Failure to Remit Tax
(a). Failure to remit less than $10,000 of required excise tax in a calendar year shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than the greater of $1,000 or five times the excise tax that should have been paid, six months impisonment, or both.

(b). Failure to remit $10,000 or more, but less than $50,000 of required excise tax in a calendar year shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than five times the excise tax that should have been paid, twelve months impisonment, or both.

(c). Failure to remit $50,000 or more, but less than $250,000 of required excise tax in a calendar year shall be a felony punishable by a fine of no more than five times the excise tax that should have been paid, twenty five months impisonment, or both.

(d). Failure to remit $250,000 or more, but less than $1,000,000 of required excise tax in a calendar year shall be a felony punishable by a fine of no more than five times the excise tax that should have been paid, five years impisonment, or both.

(e). Failure to remit $1,000,000 or more of required excise tax in a calendar year shall be a felony punishable by a fine of no more than five times the excise tax that should have been paid, ten years impisonment, or both.

Section 5 - State Excise Taxes
(a). Once a Regional excise tax is in effect, States may assess excise taxes on such products of no more than one-quarter of the tax assessed under said excise tax.

(1) States may delegate such taxing authority to a subdivision thereof.
(2) The authority collecting an excise tax for the Southeast Region shall collect the excise tax for a State that imposes an excise tax on all such goods sold within said State that are taxed under a particular initiative is in uniform proportion to the Regional excise taxed assessed under said initiative and remit the same at no cost to the State.
(3) The collecting authority may collect the excise tax for a State which either varies according to the locale of sale or varies according to the variety of assessed good in a manner not proportional to the rates assessed by the initiative, but only on a basis which recovers all costs to the collecting authority of collecting said tax for the State or subdivision thereof.
(b). The limitation on excise tax assessed by the States established by Subsection (a) shall not preclude the assessment of non-excise taxes on the goods, such as sales tax or inventory tax that the State (or a subdivision thereof) assesses on general goods so long as no more than 15% of the revenues obtained by such assessment are derived from the assessment of the goods subject to a particular Regional excise tax.

(1) If more than 15% of such revenues are so obtained that the State (or subdivision thereof) shall remit to the general fund of the Southeast Region a portion of such revenues so that no more than 15% of the revenues retained by the State (or subdivision thereof) from said tax are so obtained.

Section 6 - Expenditures
(a). The collecting authority may spend no more than 5% of the excise tax collected for the Southeast Region by the collecting authority on its own administrative costs, exclusive of enforcement.

(b). The collecting authority may spend no more than 10% of the excise tax collected for the Southeast Region by the collecting authority on activities to enforce the collection of those taxes.

(c). The collecting authority shall allocate a minimum of 5% of the excise tax collected for the Southeast Region by the collecting authority to an educational fund.

(d). The collecting authority shall allocate 5% of the excise tax collected for the Southeast Region by the collecting authority into a reserve fund.

(1). At the end of each fiscal year the amount of the reserve fund in excess of three times the adminstrative expenses of the collecting authority shall be transferred to the general fund of the Southeast Region.
(2). The reserve shall be available to the collecting authority only to meet:
(A) administrative expenses if a decrease in taxes collected from the prior year caused the funds available for adminstrative costs under Subsection (a) to be less than expected and
(B) the costs of defending the collecting authority of civil suits claiming improper collection of the excise tax it collects by the commission or an employee thereof and to pay adverse judgements in such cases.
(e). The collecting authority shall allocate all funds not obligated under the preceeding subsections, which shall be a minimum of 75% of the excise tax collected for the Southeast Region by the collecting authority, into the program fund for that excise tax.

Not sure yet what relevance this has, if any, since I am not aware of any excises with program funds passed in the region. I guess I will find out soon, though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:45:35 am by Emperor PiT »Logged

IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:15 am »
Ignore

Also, when it comes to our baseline tax revenue, should it be based off the actual total population of the United States southeast or should be use a mathematical equation based on our in-game population to arrive at that total?

For the stimulus bills, I came up with apportionment figures for the states based on the assumption that their populations were the same as in real life. As such, for the sake of consistency, I think we should use the actual populations of these states.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:51:02 pm »
Ignore

Also, when it comes to our baseline tax revenue, should it be based off the actual total population of the United States southeast or should be use a mathematical equation based on our in-game population to arrive at that total?

For the stimulus bills, I came up with apportionment figures for the states based on the assumption that their populations were the same as in real life. As such, for the sake of consistency, I think we should use the actual populations of these states.
Sounds good.  I was thinking, if this is just a one-time thing it will be a complete waste.  Once we have our budget, tax, and debt figures, we should maintain them.  Thus, I propose we eventually repeal the law that the repealed the Regional Budget Creation Initiative (or preferably write our own).  The budget could (and should) be based off the previous years so we don't have to write up a new one and can be compiled by the Attorney General and Governor and then ratified by the Legislature.

Goodbye
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 06:00:27 pm »
Ignore

Sounds good.  I was thinking, if this is just a one-time thing it will be a complete waste.  Once we have our budget, tax, and debt figures, we should maintain them.  Thus, I propose we eventually repeal the law that the repealed the Regional Budget Creation Initiative (or preferably write our own).  The budget could (and should) be based off the previous years so we don't have to write up a new one and can be compiled by the Attorney General and Governor and then ratified by the Legislature.

I do agree that maintaining a regional budget would be a good idea, though I don't like the original initiative. Rather than repealing its repeal, I'd suggest an altogether new bill in its vein. We don't have a statute-as-amended, recall. Tongue

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »
Ignore

Let me offer some general ideas for a framework based on what the Mideast has done. I emphasize "general" and "framework" as the IDS will characteristically do its own thing. Wink

Check out the links in the following posts in the budget thread:

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128143.msg2756417#msg2756417
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128143.msg2769048#msg2769048
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128143.msg2774577#msg2774577
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128143.msg2789445#msg2789445
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=128143.msg2789731#msg2789731

The benefit here is it allows comparison to real life for several broad spending and taxing catagories. The structure makes it relatively simple to assess the results of taxing and spending decisions based on RL comparison. The actual taxing and spending levels within that framework are 100% your own.

Thoughts?

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 09:14:52 pm »
Ignore

Let me offer some general ideas for a framework based on what the Mideast has done. I emphasize "general" and "framework" as the IDS will characteristically do its own thing. Wink

The benefit here is it allows comparison to real life for several broad spending and taxing catagories. The structure makes it relatively simple to assess the results of taxing and spending decisions based on RL comparison. The actual taxing and spending levels within that framework are 100% your own.

Thoughts?
Phew!

That's a lot.  A very good suggestion but it will take some work.  Looking down that list, I noticed categories that the SE has never past spending bills related to.  Should we assume that we were spending in these categories during the past few years or not?  If we don't, we will have an unrealistically large surplus without any of the negatives associated with not spending any money in some of the categories.  However, that seems like a bit of a realism killer.

Goodbye
IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 04:22:39 am »
Ignore

Southeast Alcohol Initiative, Section 8, as passed on February 21, 2005:
Section 8 - Taxes
(a). Alcoholic beverages sold in the Southeast Region after January 1, 2006 shall be subject to an excise tax levied by the Southeast Region of $1.00 per proof liter.

(b). Not withstanding any other provision of law, States (or a political subdivision thereof if the State chooses to delegate this authority) may assess a tax of no greater than $1.00 per alcoholic drink sold.

Southeast Tobacco Initiative, Section 6, as passed on February 21, 2005:
Section 6 - Taxes
(a). Cigarettes sold in the Southeast Region after January 1, 2006 shall be subject to an excise tax of 4 cents per cigarette.

(b). Cigars sold in the Southeast Region after January 1, 2006 shall be subject to an excise tax of 8 cents per cigar.

(c). Packaged loose tobacco sold in the Southeast Region after January 1, 2006 shall be subject to an excise tax of $2.00 per kilogram.

Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4, as passed on February 21, 2005:
Chapter 4 - Taxation
Section 31 - Excise and Sales Taxes
Excise and sales taxes imposed by the Southeast Region or any of its subsidiary governments on electrical power produced by an approved nuclear plant shall be 80% of what they otherwise would be under law.

Section 32 - Income Taxes
A deduction of 10% of the gross income from the sale of electrical power produced by an approved nuclear plant shall be made to determine the net income of the producer for the purposes of income taxes imposed by the Southeast Region or any of its subsidiary governments.

Section 33 - Property Taxes
For purposes of taxation only, the assessed valuation of an approved nuclear plant shall be no greater than $50,000 per megawatt of generating capacity.

Southeast Biomass Initiative, Section 3, as passed on February 21, 2005:
Section 3 - Excise taxes
Excise and sales taxes imposed by the Southeast Region or any of its subsidiary governments on electrical power produced by the combustion of biomass shall be 80% of what they otherwise would be under law. In the case of power generated by co-firing with non-biomass fuels, the tax rate shall be prorated according to the portion of energy derived from the use of biomass.

Transportation Commission Initiative, Chapter 2, Sections 14 & 15, & Chapter 3, Section 22, as passed on March 21, 2005:
Section 14 - Highway Education Fund
1. There shall be established in the Southeast treasury a “Highway Education Fund”.

2. The Commission shall use this fund to:

(a) establish and fund programs for driver education, and
(b) encourage safe vehicle operation.
3. This fund shall receive the funds allocated to the education fund defined in Section 2, Clause 2 of the Excise Tax Administration Initiative (9).

Section 15 - Highway Operation Fund
1. There shall be established in the Southeast treasury a “Highway Operation Fund”.

2. The Commission shall use this fund to:

(a) build and maintain the highways and byways of the Southeastern Region,
(b) to operate a highway patrol to enforce the traffic laws of the Southeastern Regions and its subdivisions,
(c) to cooperate with railway companies to ensure that crossings between railways and highways are safe,
(d) to provide supervisory and common contracting functions for publically owned passenger and cargo airports, and
(e) to operate waterports and ferry systems.
3. This fund shall receive the funds allocated to the program fund defined in Section 2, Clause 3 of the Excise Tax Administration Initiative (9).

Section 22 - Excise Tax
Liquid fuel sold in the Southeast Region after January 1, 2006 shall be subject to an excise tax by the Southeast Region of $0.08 per liter.

Fair Consequences Initiative, Section 3, as passed on July 18, 2005:
Section 3: Fiscal Impact, Funding
Funding for the Southeast Regional Sex Offender Database shall be provided by increasing the driver's license fee by one dollar. Any excess funds shall be placed into the general activities fund.

Safe Roads Initiative, Section 6, as passed on July 18, 2005:
6. The owner of the motor vehicle, upon registration, shall pay a one-time fee of five dollars for the license plates and for administration of the registration program.

That covers the first 50 initiatives. Some of them imposed fines on various crimes or carried various unenumerated economic implications. I don't think any of them would have a substantial effect on the regional budget though, so I generally neglected them. Once we've completed the main project, it might be a good idea to go back & estimate the little details.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:48:23 am by Emperor PiT »Logged

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 10:30:04 am »
Ignore

The benefit here is it allows comparison to real life for several broad spending and taxing categories. The structure makes it relatively simple to assess the results of taxing and spending decisions based on RL comparison. The actual taxing and spending levels within that framework are 100% your own.

Thoughts?
Phew!

That's a lot.  A very good suggestion but it will take some work.  Looking down that list, I noticed categories that the SE has never past spending bills related to.  Should we assume that we were spending in these categories during the past few years or not?  If we don't, we will have an unrealistically large surplus without any of the negatives associated with not spending any money in some of the categories.  However, that seems like a bit of a realism killer.

I would take it that you are spending whatever levels you determine you're spending, regardless of past legislation or lack thereof. In other words, treat this as "year one" for determining how much is being spent in these various categories. However faithful you want to be to prior legislation is up to you guys (and commendable), but don't let the fact the IDS (e.g.) never passed a budget for police and prisons (other than the free range one Wink) stop you all from deciding to appropriate 'X' Billion towards police and prisons. Unless you guys insist otherwise the GM is willing to give a mulligan on prior spending in this category. Wink

That said, I will base the relative level of services provided through a comparison of real life expenditures to whatever you guys appropriate. In other words if RL expenditures for "protection" in the 10 states comprising the IDS are $10 Billion, but the IDS only appropriates $5 Billion, that means the IDS will have to prepare a plan for dealing with half the prisons, guards, parole officers, and state troopers the real world south deals with, and/or suffer whatever ramifications the GM determines would arise from such funding levels.

With that in mind, PiT, I assure you with this economy the LAST thing you guys will have to deal with is "large surpluses". Sad

IDS Attorney General PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 12:34:54 pm »
Ignore

The benefit here is it allows comparison to real life for several broad spending and taxing categories. The structure makes it relatively simple to assess the results of taxing and spending decisions based on RL comparison. The actual taxing and spending levels within that framework are 100% your own.

Thoughts?
Phew!

I would take it that you are spending whatever levels you determine you're spending, regardless of past legislation or lack thereof. In other words, treat this as "year one" for determining how much is being spent in these various categories. However faithful you want to be to prior legislation is up to you guys (and commendable), but don't let the fact the IDS (e.g.) never passed a budget for police and prisons (other than the free range one Wink) stop you all from deciding to appropriate 'X' Billion towards police and prisons. Unless you guys insist otherwise the GM is willing to give a mulligan on prior spending in this category. Wink

That said, I will base the relative level of services provided through a comparison of real life expenditures to whatever you guys appropriate. In other words if RL expenditures for "protection" in the 10 states comprising the IDS are $10 Billion, but the IDS only appropriates $5 Billion, that means the IDS will have to prepare a plan for dealing with half the prisons, guards, parole officers, and state troopers the real world south deals with, and/or suffer whatever ramifications the GM determines would arise from such funding levels.

With that in mind, PiT, I assure you with this economy the LAST thing you guys will have to deal with is "large surpluses". Sad

Now is not the greatest time to do the budget if you want to get a rosy picture of things, but it is still good to get it done.

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »
Ignore

Thoughts?
Phew!

Now is not the greatest time to do the budget if you want to get a rosy picture of things, but it is still good to get it done.

Amen, brother.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:41 pm »
Ignore

Regional Revenues

This is the IDS taxation history based on the information from my catalog and PiT's work.  Remember, these are only state taxes; the citizens would also be paying federal taxes (would they be paying state taxes?).

$2 Billion surplus as of April 29, 2010

Corporate Tax
July 1-December 31, 2010: 10%
January 1, 2011-present: 8.6%
All businesses created after May 11, 2010 did not have to pay taxes for the remainder of 2010 and will only pay 5% for 2011; after December 31, 2011 they will pay the full 8.6%.

Excise Taxes
$1.00 per alcoholic beverage
Nuclear and biomass power are 80% less than what it would be under law
$0.08 per liter of liquid fuel
$1.00 fee on driver licenses to pay for Sex Offender Database
$5.00 fee for license plates; one-time only

Sales Taxes
Nuclear power is 10% less than what it would be under law (is there another law related to this?)

Property Taxes
Nuclear power plants pay $50,000 per megawatt generation capacity

Tax Credits
$1,000 to households with full-time student beginning in Fall 2010; only applies to households with income under $250,000
$500 to households with part-time student beginning in Fall 2010; only applies to households with income under $250,000

Miscellaneous
80% of ticket sales from Giant Pentagram
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:00:09 pm by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »Logged

Goodbye
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »
Ignore

Federal Charity

Highway Fund
$15 Billion total (Federal Money)
$750 Million authorized to the IDS

$140 Million for Duke Greenway
$100 Million for Blanche-Lincoln Boulevard

$510 Million authorized
$14,760 Million total (Federal control)

Stimulation Station
$5 Billion for Infrastructure + Sewage and Water treatment/filtration + Power Grid updates and maintenance
$3 Billion for Education
$2 Billion for Coal to Liquid Plants
$400 Million for Wind Power Plants
$500 Million for Solar Power Plants

$5 Billion allocated to the states for infrastructure
$3 Billion spent on Education
$2 Billion spent on Coal to Liquid Plants
$990 Million spent on Worker Retraining Program
$10 Million spent on Regional Building Renovation
$2 Billion spent on Education (Clause 4, Sub-clause B is not a valid part of the 2010 Federal Stimulus Act
$1 Billion for the construction of Coal to Liquid Plants

Balanced- all money spent as allocated.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:31:27 pm by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »Logged

Goodbye
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout