Which occupations are trending leftward?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:05:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which occupations are trending leftward?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which occupations are trending leftward?  (Read 1471 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2021, 06:24:05 PM »

I'd say most white-collar occupations are trending leftwards. Which occupation is trending the most leftward?
ChineseConservative
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »

MBB Consulting for sure. A lot of my former co-workers have pretty liberal Facebook posts, contrary to what you would expect from an industry that once was best represented by Mitt Romney and supply side economics.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »

all of the ones that people compete to get, respect, require high IQ's and work ethic.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 09:04:14 PM »

Corporate executives.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 12:33:24 AM »

all of the ones that people compete to get, respect, require high IQ's and work ethic.

Totally not classist
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 12:34:19 AM »

An obvious answer is the military,
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 01:03:22 AM »

No idea of the OP's definition of Occupations.

Statistical Atlas has the following listed as "Occupations" which is a good starting point:

Meanwhile we could look at definitions of Industries:

Not gonna post my opinion until the question is clarified in further detail....
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 01:42:20 AM »

Healthcare/medical but they were fairly liberal to begin with, outside of administration/insurance.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 01:11:09 PM »

imagine being "left-wing" and this much of a greedy striver

it's clear that america's "left" is american as opposed to left-wing, in very, VERY bad ways
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 01:25:20 PM »

Healthcare/medical but they were fairly liberal to begin with, outside of administration/insurance.

Yeah, any ideas of Obamacare making life hard for doctors and healthcare workers have been totally and thoroughly forgotten in the age of COVID. More cynically, I have to imagine pharmaceutical companies have probably been trending to the left as Democrats' opinions of big pharma have improved in the last year or so and the right has been moving more towards the miracle cure market (which, granted, I'm sure the pharma companies will find a way to take advantage of).
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 01:29:50 PM »

Medicine because most new doctors will be on the salary rolls of large healthcare conglomerates rather than small business owners operating a private practice.  Medicine is obviously becoming a lot more female and non-White, too.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 03:37:51 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2021, 04:06:08 PM by YOU JUST POSTED MALARKEY! »

it's clear that america's "left" is american as opposed to left-wing, in very, VERY bad ways

"Non Swing Voter" is not remotely "left wing"

The only reason he identifies as a Democrat is due to desire need to feel superior to others (which I'm sure he'd also get done if he wanted to be a Republican, with people like this it doesn't really matter which party wins, it's more of a spectator sport).

It's interesting because the truth is (based on his posting history) that he holds nothing but thinly veiled (not veiled at all?) contempt for the working class (which he deems susceptible to wanting "free stuff"). On top of this he has more disdain for anyone else he considers less intelligent than himself (you can qualify for this by disagreeing with him).*

Add all of the above in with a massive strain of arrogance, an insufferable amount of ignorance, a complete lack of self-awareness, along with a laughably simplistic worldview and you can see why he is disliked across the forum.

Just see what "Non Swing Voter" has to say about the minimum wage if you want a glimpse of how "left wing" he is

* Funnily enough (and despite his current optimism about the party) if his ideas held sway in the Democratic Party it would collapse very quickly, because even as it may gain some among top CEOs, the media, and other people who he would consider "high IQ" and doing "real work", (lol!) this would happen at the expense of alienating the backbone of the party who would rather not see their social security slashed completely.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 03:55:29 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2021, 07:42:45 PM by RINO Tom »

Not sure about ~trends~, but this has been said before and bears repeating:

Jobs that require a lot of education and still do not pay that much are going to produce extremely Democratic-leaning voters, and the opposite is going to produce very Republican voters.  There are obviously still grad degrees that I would wager still lean Republican like MBAs (from my experience, as someone who recently got his), and there are obviously some low-education-requirement-high-income occupations that will naturally lean Democratic, too (e.g., a small business owner of a "leftie"-themed thing like a line of yoga studios or coffee shops).

EDIT: My guess of people I know, personally?  Moderate females who make between $75k and $100k (for comparison, that is $156k to $209k in Manhattan) and weren't super "into politics" before 2016 but ARE quite into Instagram.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 07:43:58 PM »

This is unreadable.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 07:47:47 PM »

Totally not classist

This isn't even worth responding to beyond saying it's not worth responding to.
GeorgeBFree
Npard23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 07:44:35 PM »

Based on donor data just about everyone who receives a W-2 is trending to the left.

The only ones that are trending Republican are police officers, self employed independent contractors, and small businesses owners.

People who work big corporations are more likely to trust government and value economic freedom less (especially as cost of living rises to point that they won’t get ahead anyway).

Those who leave big companies to be self employed likely value freedom and want less government intervention.

The problem for GOP is entrepreneurship rates are going down and many gig workers will become de facto employees with changes in labor laws
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »

Medicine because most new doctors will be on the salary rolls of large healthcare conglomerates rather than small business owners operating a private practice.  Medicine is obviously becoming a lot more female and non-White, too.

A lot of my bullishness on where the Dems are (heading) with Asian Americans (and Vietnamese Americans in particular) comes from seeing how left-leaning and progressive minded Asian pre-health college students, healthcare graduate students, and recent grads in their 20s are as a group- both in real life and online. I will note that there is a gender gap and arguably a class/religiosity one as well.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 07:59:14 PM »

Based on donor data just about everyone who receives a W-2 is trending to the left.

The only ones that are trending Republican are police officers, self employed independent contractors, and small businesses owners.

People who work big corporations are more likely to trust government and value economic freedom less (especially as cost of living rises to point that they won’t get ahead anyway).

Those who leave big companies to be self employed likely value freedom and want less government intervention.

The problem for GOP is entrepreneurship rates are going down and many gig workers will become de facto employees with changes in labor laws

While I believe you, I am honestly surprised there is that much room to "trend right" among "small business owners."  They have been extraordinarily Republican for an absurd number of years.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »

A lot of my bullishness on where the Dems are (heading) with Asian Americans (and Vietnamese Americans in particular) comes from seeing how left-leaning and progressive minded Asian pre-health college students, healthcare graduate students, and recent grads in their 20s are as a group- both in real life and online. I will note that there is a gender gap and arguably a class/religiosity one as well.

Would you consider the idea that there might be a Geography related gap too? That may have something to do with it. The Portland suburbs are known for their liberalism after all.

I honestly would be very curious now to find out if there are polls outlining the political differences between Califofnia Chinese Americans and Texas Chinese Americans.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 12:52:59 AM »

Medicine because most new doctors will be on the salary rolls of large healthcare conglomerates rather than small business owners operating a private practice.  Medicine is obviously becoming a lot more female and non-White, too.

Would you consider the idea that there might be a Geography related gap too? That may have something to do with it. The Portland suburbs are known for their liberalism after all.

I honestly would be very curious now to find out if there are polls outlining the political differences between Califofnia Chinese Americans and Texas Chinese Americans.

My observations about healthcare Asians under 35ish weren't strictly limited to people who grew up in the Portland area.

I'm sure there's some sort of regional geography divide, but have no idea if there are any trustworthy AALDEF- or Latino Decisions-style state level exit polls on Asian subgroups for either state.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 11:28:29 PM »

Don't know about polls, but we definitely have some precinct results from California over the years in fairly heavily Asian-American precincts, which may or may not be indicative of anything.

Although AAPI voters in TX are much more diffuse, seem to recall seeing some interesting precinct results from Sugarland area not that many years back....

Still individual precinct results do not a composite make, but TX is definitely a harder push than looking at precinct results in heavily Asian-American precincts in Portland OR and certainly CA does have some pretty extensive data-sets in heavily Asian-American precincts.
GeorgeBFree
Npard23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 03:35:51 PM »

While I believe you, I am honestly surprised there is that much room to "trend right" among "small business owners."  They have been extraordinarily Republican for an absurd number of years.

They have room to grow among non-white business owners.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 03:41:34 PM »

Those are the groups who supported a certain german individual in 1933.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies