Opinion of Christopher Hitchens (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:27:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Christopher Hitchens (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: FF or HP?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Opinion of Christopher Hitchens  (Read 3409 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: February 14, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »

An extremely skilled polemicist. But that's more or less all he is. He's not as clever, profound or intellectually interesting as he likes to think. Far too frequently (and on a bewildering range of subjects) he has taken the position of the bigot and the bully; anyone who has the temerity to hold a view opposed to Hitchens or (heaven forbid!) to actively disagree with him is at best an idiot and is usually attacked as being utterly malign. Of course that's a fairly common trait of those who passed through youthful Trotskyism of one kind or another, but that doesn't actually excuse that sort of behavior.

That said, he's vastly superior to his brother who has all of his faults (though they manifest themselves differently, of course) and a few more on top. And is basically an out-and-out fascist.

This. Oh, and I will also add that a lot of positions seem to have been reached at out of a desire to refute conventional wisdom regardless of what that conventional wisdom is. Why else does he hate Mother Theresa so much?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »

Oh, and I will also add that a lot of positions seem to have been reached at out of a desire to refute conventional wisdom regardless of what that conventional wisdom is. Why else does he hate Mother Theresa so much?

I think he likes to refute the conventional wisdom when he perceives it to be wrong, not just because he likes to refute it. As to Mother Theresa, if the things that he's criticized her for are true then there's plenty of reason to dislike her.

Perhaps. If there was some consistency to his criticism but I havenīt seen any. He just attacks conventional wisdom for the purpose of doing so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies