Is it hypocritical for a Confederate sympathizer to like LBJ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 02:25:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is it hypocritical for a Confederate sympathizer to like LBJ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well is it?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Is it hypocritical for a Confederate sympathizer to like LBJ?  (Read 3275 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »

I knew a guy who felt this way, so I'm asking all of you this question.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »

It's certainly bizarre, but the gulf in time makes it hard to declare that position "hypocritical."  Sounds like this person is taking an "all things Texas" attitude.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:08:45 PM »

As wormyguy said, I can understand that for a Texan, so in that case, no. Otherwise, yes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:23:06 PM »

It's certainly bizarre, but the gulf in time makes it hard to declare that position "hypocritical."  Sounds like this person is taking an "all things Texas" attitude.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:15 PM »

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:53:23 PM »

Another way to put what Wormy said.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »

Define "Confederate sympathizer".  Does it mean one who believes the Confederacy had a moral and just cause or just somebody who thought that the South should've been left alone?  Because if it's the latter I don't see how it would make them hypocritical unless one is taking an "all or nothing" approach (ie if they "like LBJ" they agree with everything he did blah blah blah).
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:25 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2011, 12:10:39 AM by I Turn On My Charmander Pants Come Right Off »

Define "Confederate sympathizer".  Does it mean one who believes the Confederacy had a moral and just cause or just somebody who thought that the South should've been left alone?  Because if it's the latter I don't see how it would make them hypocritical unless one is taking an "all or nothing" approach (ie if they "like LBJ" they agree with everything he did blah blah blah).

I mean someone who felt that the South was completely justified in leaving the Union. I should probably note  that he wasn't a racist, just a states rights supporter.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:01:13 AM »

Any real Texan believes that Texas has the right to secede whenever and for whatever reason it wants, because it is Texas and it used to be a Republic and its doing the rest of y'all a favor by agreeing to be part of this country.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 02:03:30 AM »

I mean someone who felt that the South was completely justified in leaving the Union. I should probably note  that he wasn't a racist, just a states rights supporter.

Well if he's a state's rights supporter I would say yeah that's pretty hypocritical considering that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (LBJ's biggest achievement) was pretty much the federal government forcing integration on the states.
For the record I probably would've supported the CRA, so please don't take what I just said out of context.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »

Well, it'd be a bit interesting, but...

There were probably a decent amount of Confederate 'sympathizers' that voted for Johnson in the outer South - those that said "Hands off the TVA!" to Goldwater.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »

Well, it'd be a bit interesting, but...

There were probably a decent amount of Confederate 'sympathizers' that voted for Johnson in the outer South - those that said "Hands off the TVA!" to Goldwater.

Makes since. LBJ won half of the Old Confederacy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »

yes, and a fairly high percentage of white Texans feel this way. When I lived in Texas, I always found it ironic and humorous that very conservative Republican Texans liked LBJ so much but despised Clinton and Gore, even though LBJ was far more liberal and would obviously be completely unelectable in the Texas of today.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »

Not necessary hypocritical, but utterly inconsistent for sure.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 01:27:39 AM »

What about FDR for that matter? A New Deal liberal but got massive majorities in the Deep South.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »

What about FDR for that matter? A New Deal liberal but got massive majorities in the Deep South.

Well, FDR didn't sign the Civil Rights Act.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »

Well, FDR didn't sign the Civil Rights Act.

Also, this was before the days when liberal Democrats forced a Civil Rights plank into the party platform.  To FDR's credit he did at one point (I think in 1934 or 1935) call lynching "a vile form of collective murder", however for most of his presidency he refrained from pushing forward anti-lynching legislation and other Civil Rights pushes in order to generate support for his New Deal agenda in the Solid South.  It is true that a lot of the New Deal put many African Americans and other not so popular minorities to work on government programs, however once it seemed like racial integration might occur Southern governors and politicians would raise hell to Roosevelt about it and he would shut the hell up just to keep his party's coalition together.  In fact it wasn't really until Roosevelt issued Executive Order 8802 (which arguably (at least according to wikipedia) was the most significant federal move in support of African American rights between Reconstruction and the Civil Rights Act of 1964) that a serious move from FDR's administration to address Civil Rights for African Americans happened, in June 1941.  To me it doesn't seem that hypocritical for the Southern whites to vote overwhelmingly FDR when in his first two terms he kept quiet on segregation, especially considering how pro civil rights most Republican presidential candidates were before 1964 (well except for Hoover).  When it comes to the 1944 election I would say (again) that Southerners probably perceived FDR as less anti-segregation than his opponent Thomas Dewey (who from I read was no fan of segregation).  That's why it took the GOP a friggin war hero (Dwight Eisenhower) before southern whites felt somewhat comfortable with electing a Republican.
Plus, his presidency took place during the middle of the Great Depression and World War II.  When it comes to rallying national pride there are no bigger suckers than Southerners (trust me, I come from a long line of Texans), something FDR excelled at.

That's my two cents.

ftr, I'm not a big fan of FDR's policies, just giving an objective analysis of why it isn't completely hypocritical for a Southerner to be pro-FDR
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies