most ancestrally democratic area in the country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:06:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  most ancestrally democratic area in the country?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: most ancestrally democratic area in the country?  (Read 4080 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »

what do you think it is?

In Texas, Atascosa, Frio, LaSalle, McMullen, Jim Hogg, Zapata, Starr, Hidalgo, Brooks, Duval, Jim Wells, Live Oak counties as well as part of Cameron, Harris, and Travis counties have never been represented by a republican in congress since at least the 1870s, if at all.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »

Arkansas.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »

I'm guessing some towns in New Hampshire.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »

Arkansas or West Virginia
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:47:39 PM »

parts of Boston, and coal towns in Southern WV and Eastern KY.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 05:07:52 PM »

Parts of lower Manhattan, NYC have been strongly Democratic since the time of Martin Van Buren's Presidency.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »

Parts of lower Manhattan, NYC have been strongly Democratic since the time of Martin Van Buren's Presidency.

you are surprisingly right. I always thought that New York (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx) were all strongly republican until the Great Depression. Take a look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/70th_Congress. I'm not sure how the numbering system worked back then but i thought low numbers = new york city and high numbers = buffalo. Notice how numbers 2 through 18 were democratic. I'm assuming most of those districts had high jewish and ethnic catholic populations.

However, in the state of New York, if one was to get outside of the city of New York, it was strongly republican. Even FDR lost almost all the counties in his home state all four times. The only reason he won his home state is because of the city of New York.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2011, 06:52:21 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

you are surprisingly right. I always thought that New York (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx) were all strongly republican until the Great Depression. Take a look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/70th_Congress. I'm not sure how the numbering system worked back then but i thought low numbers = new york city and high numbers = buffalo. Notice how numbers 2 through 18 were democratic. I'm assuming most of those districts had high jewish and ethnic catholic populations.

However, in the state of New York, if one was to get outside of the city of New York, it was strongly republican. Even FDR lost almost all the counties in his home state all four times. The only reason he won his home state is because of the city of New York.

As far back as the late 1800's, GOP strength was concentrated in the Upstate areas and in some enclaves throughout the city of New York like the East side. The presence of Irish, then italians, and then other minorities have given the Democrats a decided edge in most elections in New York City going back to the 1840's.

There was a lot of penetration in 1920 into New York City because of the Irish abandoning the Dems over Versaille. However in 1922 these were wiped out for the most part and the Democrats actually controlled the delegation from 1923-1947. Even Coolidge winning NYC couldn't regain a majority of NY seats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_delegations_from_New_York

Some people like Fiorella La Guardia and Jacob Javits represented Manhattan seats that really weren't Republican seats and were won largely because of a personal vote for those individuals. The East side district had a GOP machine of sorts and elected people like Coudert and then Lindsay and Green before it collapsed in the 1990's.

The GOP dominance over Long Island and other areas, that are often whined about having been lost, existed for only a decade in the 1950's and early 1960's. After that they were constantly competative with seats going back and forth in different elections with an exception being the 4th seat (sometimes numbered something else).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »

That area in eastern Kentucky.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 12:53:36 AM »

Portions of Downstate Illinois qualify as that, namely Gallatin County which was carried by Mondale and was the only county carried 1994's Democratic gubernatorial nominee, Dawn Clark Netsch (what a wipeout that was, a Democrat losing Cook).

The obvious answers are many counties in the Mississippi Delta and the Black Belt.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »

Portions of Downstate Illinois qualify as that, namely Gallatin County which was carried by Mondale and was the only county carried 1994's Democratic gubernatorial nominee, Dawn Clark Netsch (what a wipeout that was, a Democrat losing Cook).

The obvious answers are many counties in the Mississippi Delta and the Black Belt.

Those areas would've voted Republican prior to blacks getting voting rights if the blacks had them.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 01:00:27 AM »

Those areas would've voted Republican prior to blacks getting voting rights if the blacks had them.

Right, there is that issue.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 01:13:50 AM »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Brooks County, Texas is the only county in the country to have never voted for a Republican for any national office.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 01:18:21 AM »

What about Elliott County, KY?

Brooks has never voted Republican for President though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »

The Mississippi Delta and the Black Belt were actually the most Republican parts of the South for about the twenty years following the Civil War. Don't know if you want to count Reconstruction or not though.
Nichlemn

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »

Weird, it was won by Brady in 2010. Big trend that must have been?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 11:55:44 AM »

Parts of New York.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »

what about Tucson, AZ? Tucson is the epicenter of what I call old western populist democrats. Since statehood the majority of the city (except for the wealthy northern and eastern parts) has always been represented by a democrat in congress. Arizona used an at large system from 1912-1949 where they only elected democrats and when Tucson was put in the 2nd district, it was represented by Patten from 1949-1955, the Udall Brothers from 1955-1991, Ed Pastor from 91-03, and now Raul Grijalva.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies