What % of the population knows the difference between hardcore and metal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:28:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What % of the population knows the difference between hardcore and metal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What % of the population knows the difference between hardcore and metal?  (Read 1023 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:13:31 AM »

Probably about 25% I'd guess. Would be interesting to do an experiment on. I remember once Teddy claimed that Ampere sounded like death metal. That was pretty funny.

I wonder if my parents could tell the difference. They know that I hate metal, but I bet if I played them something I liked and some actual metal and asked them to identify it, they couldn't, they'd probably just consider both "loud screaming music" or whatever.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:15:38 AM »

What % give a toss about either?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:18:16 AM »

I don't, and I don't care.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:33:58 AM »

Probably about 5%, which I suspect is close to the percentage that listens to either hardcore or extreme metal.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »

20%

It's silly. For instance, Iron Maiden is metal in it's finest form, but a band like Avenged Sevenfold or Trivium is hardcore.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:08 AM »

I'd guess somewhere between 8 and 15%..lets go with 12.6%.  And 100% those would disagree on what specifically makes something hardcore or metal.  I read on the other thread that PiT mentions GWAR as a metal band (which they certainly are), but they certainly fill some...many of the criteria of hardcore/punk.  Especially the first 2 or 3 albums (the only ones I'm familiar with).

The genres share a lot of aspects, obviously, and really, all the cool kids should all get together to bash hippies, preppies and art fags.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2011, 12:19:10 PM by I Love You So Much It's Killing Us Both »

20%

It's silly. For instance, Iron Maiden is metal in it's finest form, but a band like Avenged Sevenfold or Trivium is hardcore.

Uh no, those bands are metal too.

The genres share a lot of aspects, obviously, and really, all the cool kids should all get together to bash hippies, preppies and art fags.

"Art fags"? Lots of hardcore kids would fall into that category. Have you ever listened to some of those uber-artsy hardcore bands? here for example is basically my favorite band in high school. Wolves for one example. City of Caterpillar is another. Would any metal band incorporate a viola part?

And that's not even mentioning those bands in the mid-90s that refused to give names to their songs because they thought it dilute the totality of their work or something. I actually have an LP with the tracklisting "4 or 5 songs. you make up the names."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »

I'd guess somewhere between 8 and 15%..lets go with 12.6%.  And 100% those would disagree on what specifically makes something hardcore or metal.  I read on the other thread that PiT mentions GWAR as a metal band (which they certainly are), but they certainly fill some...many of the criteria of hardcore/punk.  Especially the first 2 or 3 albums (the only ones I'm familiar with).

There was a great deal of overlap between metal & hardcore throughout the 80s. The main reason there isn't as much of it today is that metal has been successful in incorporating the language of aggression into itself, albeit in a very different fashion from traditional hardcore.

20%

Yeah, I've never heard of either of those bands being called hardcore. I've always known both of them as metal.

"Art fags"? Lots of hardcore kids would fall into that category. Have you ever listened to some of those uber-artsy hardcore bands? here for example is basically my favorite band in high school. Wolves for one example. City of Caterpillar is another. Would any metal band incorporate a viola part?

And that's not even mentioning those bands in the mid-90s that refused to give names to their songs because they thought it dilute the totality of their work or something. I actually have an LP with the tracklisting "4 or 5 songs. you make up the names."

Amon Amarth recorded a song with a cello interlude courtesy of Apocalyptica. Not to mention power metal & black metal bands with symphonic elements in many of their songs. Granted none of those examples endure throughout the entire song, but there are many metal bands that go beyond the traditional metal instruments.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »

20%

Don't get me wrong, Avenged Sevenfold is my favorite band, but true metal died in the 90's at the start of the Grunge era. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Anthrax were all metal bands, I guess A7X could be considered Metal, but I consider them Metalcore/Hardcore.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »

I know for a certainty that it is less than 100%.  Smiley
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »

Whatever the combined percentage of people who listen to either is, I'd wager. I think anyone who listens to anything with even the slightest hint of harsh vocal work and distorted guitars has gotten the "How do you listen to that shouting death metal stuff?!" treatment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »

20%

Don't get me wrong, Avenged Sevenfold is my favorite band, but true metal died in the 90's at the start of the Grunge era. Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Anthrax were all metal bands, I guess A7X could be considered Metal, but I consider them Metalcore/Hardcore.

My music library with over 40 metal albums released in the last decade would like to disagree with you. Tongue
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »

There is no difference; it's garbage either way.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »

20%

My music library with over 40 metal albums released in the last decade would like to disagree with you. Tongue

Cannibal Corpse and those bands are metal though Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »

20%

Cannibal Corpse and those bands are metal though Smiley

If you qualify your statement as mainstream metal having died out, I would more or less agree. Some forms of metal have achieved mainstream success, but its pretty clear that the listening public just goes for the "really hard rock" stuff. Underground metal is still going strong, though its very nature means that it takes a long time for bands to emerge & have any real impact on their contemporaries.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »

What's hardcore and metal?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »

Whatever the combined percentage of people who listen to either is, I'd wager. I think anyone who listens to anything with even the slightest hint of harsh vocal work and distorted guitars has gotten the "How do you listen to that shouting death metal stuff?!" treatment.

I remember someone on this forum once claimed that Ampere sounded like Job For a Cowboy! LOL!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies