Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:48:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 55
Author Topic: Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.  (Read 184436 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: August 21, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »

Oh, and BRTD:

I'd like to remind everyone that this military force kicked Gadaffi's ass:

Nearly 6 months later, and they're still at it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1026 on: August 21, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »

The only part of Libya that's confirmed loyalist-controlled is Sirt.  Without Tripoli, he doesn't really have a base anymore outside of his hometown of Sirt, and a town of ~200k people is no base of operations in a country of over 6m people.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1027 on: August 21, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »

I'm now wondering who will be in office longer, Qaddafi or Obama.

(please note that was only 5 days ago.)

He's still not out, as of yet.  We could be seeing him controlling parts of Libya, if not parts of Tripoli.  Hold your breath, everyone.

I'm sure a rogue Ghaddafi surviving on eating beetles in a hole somewhere will make it all the way to February 2013, J.J..
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1028 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »

He's still not out, as of yet.  We could be seeing him controlling parts of Libya, if not parts of Tripoli.  Hold your breath, everyone.

I'm sure a rogue Ghaddafi surviving on eating beetles in a hole somewhere will make it all the way to February 2013, J.J..

No, but he could very probably lead a guerrilla war.

The only part of Libya that's confirmed loyalist-controlled is Sirt.  Without Tripoli, he doesn't really have a base anymore outside of his hometown of Sirt, and a town of ~200k people is no base of operations in a country of over 6m people.

The rebels don't have Tripoli yet. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1029 on: August 21, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »

You can't fight a guerilla war out of power and with your assets frozen when your power is pretty much all mercenaries, which is the case with Gaddafi. The non-mercenary components of the Libyan Army defected and surrendered en masse under pressure.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1030 on: August 21, 2011, 11:17:10 PM »

LOL. Is Gaddafi actually still considered to be in office?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1031 on: August 21, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »

LOL.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1032 on: August 21, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »

LOL.

I guess we know who is trying to get hired as the Tripoli Bob.
Marston
United States

« Reply #1033 on: August 21, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »

LOL.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1034 on: August 21, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »

J.J.'s posts in this thread...

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1035 on: August 21, 2011, 11:33:43 PM »

J. J. reminds me of that Libyan State TV anchor who was videotaped holding a gun and saying that she would fight to the death along with many others for Gaddafi. Well now that state TV office is abandoned.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1036 on: August 21, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »

J. J. reminds me of that Libyan State TV anchor who was videotaped holding a gun and saying that she would fight to the death along with many others for Gaddafi. Well now that state TV office is abandoned.

I think even Gaddafi admitted that the rebels controlled some of Tripoli. Gaddafi has no use for a Tripoli Bob when he's.... I wonder what the heck Gaddafi is doing right now.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1037 on: August 21, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »

Going through this thread makes one feel quite upset towards certain people...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1038 on: August 22, 2011, 12:02:56 AM »

You can't fight a guerilla war out of power and with your assets frozen when your power is pretty much all mercenaries, which is the case with Gaddafi. The non-mercenary components of the Libyan Army defected and surrendered en masse under pressure.

Look at your Che Guevara tee shirt sometime.

I doubt if Qaddafi kept all of his assets at Chase.

The Army didn't defect (which would be good) .  It deserted, which means most of it is still out there.

While Opebo is worried about another Iran, I'm more worried about another Iraq or Somalia or a combination of the two.

Yes, I love to the Libyans get some paper, a pen, and a copy of Robert's Rules and form a democratic government.  I bet that is not what will happen.  Everyone step back and take a deep breath.  This is good, but it is not over.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1039 on: August 22, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »

I think even Gaddafi admitted that the rebels controlled some of Tripoli. Gaddafi has no use for a Tripoli Bob when he's.... I wonder what the heck Gaddafi is doing right now.

Actually, MSNBC was reporting (as of a half hour ago) that his compound and some of the city is still being held.  Also, there are pro Qaddafi snipers in the city.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1040 on: August 22, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »

Soviet flag over the Reichstag? Nonsense. Eva is simply hanging the laundry outside for drying.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1041 on: August 22, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »

Actually, MSNBC was reporting (as of a half hour ago) that his compound and some of the city is still being held.  Also, there are pro Qaddafi snipers in the city.

Well, the rebels claims to hold the city, except Gaddafi compound, from what I understand.
I suspect they have a little less more ground than what they claim, so MSNBC seems logic.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1042 on: August 22, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »

Actually, MSNBC was reporting (as of a half hour ago) that his compound and some of the city is still being held.  Also, there are pro Qaddafi snipers in the city.

Exactly.  Boarded up compounds and snipers.  Qaddafi's men are acting like rebels in their own city.  It's gone.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1043 on: August 22, 2011, 01:00:24 AM »

Has the first Downfall parody of Gaddafi's defeat been uploaded in YouTube yet?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1044 on: August 22, 2011, 01:24:53 AM »

Well, the rebels claims to hold the city, except Gaddafi compound, from what I understand.
I suspect they have a little less more ground than what they claim, so MSNBC seems logic.

They also said "pockets."  It might be over soon, but there could be a lot more bloodshed before it is over, even in Tripoli.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1045 on: August 22, 2011, 01:28:54 AM »

They also said "pockets."  It might be over soon, but there could be a lot more bloodshed before it is over, even in Tripoli.

Yes, but it is pretty sure than Gaddafi won't regain control of the city. Which more or less means he is finished.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1046 on: August 22, 2011, 01:44:32 AM »

Yes, but it is pretty sure than Gaddafi won't regain control of the city. Which more or less means he is finished.

He may not need to, directly.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1047 on: August 22, 2011, 01:59:07 AM »

This isn't going to be another Iraq.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1048 on: August 22, 2011, 02:13:59 AM »

This isn't going to be another Iraq.

It might, but the worse possibility is another Somalia.  I'd prefer it to over before we all celebrate.

Asian gold is up 37-40, which is probably a reaction
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1049 on: August 22, 2011, 02:27:29 AM »

If pictures emerged of Gaddafi's corpse being hung from a tree by his feet, J. J. would argue that as long as he's still vertical rather than horizontal, he still maintains some degree of control.  And then he'd post the latest gold prices for whatever reason.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies