Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:30:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 55
Author Topic: Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.  (Read 184425 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: May 01, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »

Splendid, we have three dead kids, it seems.

Very bad PR.

No, no, they were evil Gaddafis, right?  They were 'killing civilians', right?

This intervention is another in a long list of travesties on the part of the imperialists.  I'm sure the Libyans well understand the sacrifice the Gadaffi family is making for their freedom.  Even if the effort is quixotic, it is a fight for freedom.

Gadaffi's spokesman couldn't have put it more eloquently. Are you vying for his job?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #926 on: May 01, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »

Very bad PR.

This intervention is another in a long list of travesties on the part of the imperialists.  I'm sure the Libyans well understand the sacrifice the Gadaffi family is making for their freedom.  Even if the effort is quixotic, it is a fight for freedom.

Huhahahuhahaha, good one !
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #927 on: May 01, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »

Actually, I never got why you don't sympathize with Al-Qaeda's struggle against imperialism.

I do, profoundly (is that allowed?).  I just don't like their religion (is that allowed?). 

Gadaffi's spokesman couldn't have put it more eloquently. Are you vying for his job?

That would be a dream!  Of course it would have been much better to join the team 40 years ago. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #928 on: May 01, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »

If you believe Libyan state TV.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #929 on: May 01, 2011, 11:01:16 PM »

So much for that bullshiat about the opposition being infiltrated by Al Qaeda fighters.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #930 on: May 02, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

So much for that bullshiat about the opposition being infiltrated by Al Qaeda fighters.

What?  There's been no disproving of that claim.  They may very well be Al Qeuda or other varieties of Bearded Men.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #931 on: May 02, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »

What?  There's been no disproving of that claim.  They may very well be Al Qeuda or other varieties of Bearded Men.

I think there may very well be some Al Qaeda fighters in the opposition.  I just don't think it's as wide-spread as some people seem to believe.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when these new governments are formed in the Middle East.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #932 on: May 02, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »

I'm confused, opebo. If the rebels really are infiltrated by al-Qaeda, and al-Qaeda are anti-imperialist (true) and Qaddafi is anti-imperialist (don't really agree with you on this one, but for the sake of argument), then what's the problem?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #933 on: May 02, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »

I'm confused, opebo. If the rebels really are infiltrated by al-Qaeda, and al-Qaeda are anti-imperialist (true) and Qaddafi is anti-imperialist (don't really agree with you on this one, but for the sake of argument), then what's the problem?

I like the cut of his jib.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #934 on: May 03, 2011, 06:24:49 AM »

...and the imperialist West is, of course, allied with anti-imperialist Al Quaeda. Makes perfect sense.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #935 on: May 03, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »

...and the imperialist West is, of course, allied with anti-imperialist Al Quaeda. Makes perfect sense.

Well, after all, Al Quaeda is the creation of the Western imperialists, either intentionally or unintentionally, (and most likely both).

Yin and Yang, Police and Theives, etc.  And when an honest patriot gets caught in the middle, his grandkids get blown up. 

Anyone ever read Catch-22?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #936 on: May 20, 2011, 10:42:47 PM »

8 Libyan Navy ships destroyed by NATO: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43106115/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/

That's 38% of the entire Libyan Navy actually.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #937 on: May 23, 2011, 07:23:36 PM »

Death of the War Powers Act?

By Bruce Ackerman and Oona Hathaway, Published: May 17

This week, the War Powers Act confronts its moment of truth.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/death-of-the-war-powers-act/2011/05/17/AF3Jh35G_story.html
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #938 on: May 23, 2011, 11:38:50 PM »

Nut job appears on Libyan state tv. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvSeIjeAzjA&feature=player_embedded#at=421
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #939 on: May 27, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »

Obama: U.S. Involvement in Libya Action Would Last 'Days, Not Weeks'

http://abcnews.go.com/International/libya-crisis-obama-moammar-gadhafi-ultimatum/story?id=13164938
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #940 on: May 27, 2011, 09:45:13 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2011, 09:49:30 AM by Honorary chairman of the FDP »

I suppose we are to assume that you're making the case that this didn't happen or something?

To quote from that article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Granted, it's a bit mushy were "active involvement" ends and where "more of a supporting role" starts. It can mean pretty much anything.

However, the US-led "Operation Odyssey Dawn" has officially ended on March 31, when operational command was fully transferred from the U.S. Africa Command to NATO. As far as I know, the major burden for military operations in Libya is still carried by France and the UK anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #941 on: May 27, 2011, 10:10:59 AM »

Why don't we just call it Operation Mission Creep?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #942 on: May 28, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »

Well Russia just flipped and now supports Gaddafi's ouster. Sounds like they're viewing the writing on the wall.

And France the UK have gone so far as to threaten a complete Apache bombardment on Gaddafi's main compound if Zuma's peace negotiation tomorrow fails (which we know it will.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #943 on: July 15, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »

US officially recognizes the TNC in Benghazi as the government of Libya:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/16/world/africa/16libya.html?_r=1
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #944 on: July 16, 2011, 02:52:26 AM »

LOL, better late than never... Roll Eyes

Not a fan of French diplomacy, but we recognized it even before UNO's resolution. Tongue
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #945 on: July 16, 2011, 04:09:50 AM »

Apparently they are still claiming that the aims of the operation is protecting civilians. When will they understand that crude propaganda usually has exactly the opposite effect?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #946 on: July 16, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »

Rebels attempting to seize Brega (again).  If successful, Qaddafi will be limited to pretty much just Sirt and Tripoli.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #947 on: July 16, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »

Rebels attempting to seize Brega (again).  If successful, Qaddafi will be limited to pretty much just Sirt and Tripoli.
And everything but Misrata in between, as well as the coast from Tripoli to the Tunisian border and the western part of the Fezzan.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #948 on: July 16, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »

And everything but Misrata in between, as well as the coast from Tripoli to the Tunisian border and the western part of the Fezzan.

I meant in terms of population centers.  There's not many people (outside rebel-controlled Misrata) between Tripoli and Sirt, let alone down in Fezzan.

In many ways, it would make sense (if the attack on Brega succeeds) for the rebels to cut off and bypass Sirt rather than try to take it.  It's Qaddafi's most loyal city in the country.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »

I meant in terms of population centers.  There's not many people (outside rebel-controlled Misrata) between Tripoli and Sirt, let alone down in Fezzan.

In many ways, it would make sense (if the attack on Brega succeeds) for the rebels to cut off and bypass Sirt rather than try to take it.  It's Qaddafi's most loyal city in the country.

Well, there's also the cities along the coast west of Tripoli, which Gadaffi does control. Of course, it's clear by the initial success of the rebels there that they don't support Gadaffi (nor does Tripoli, of course), but he has the military advantage there.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies