Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:19:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libya: Benghazi unrest, to Civil War, to a new government and Gaddafi's death.  (Read 184445 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:44 PM »

William Hague has suggested Gaddafi may be on his way to Venezuela (?)

If so the Grauniad comments will go into melt down

Apparently Chavez's government has denied this. I think at this point it would be crazy even by his standards to give shelter to this guy - it would be a PR nightmare.

Thailand gave shelter to Pol Pot.

And the United States provided support to the KR for a long time after 1979.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »

Just as Tunisia and Egypt influenced others, Libya may as well. If the country falls into a protracted civil war and humanitarian crisis, particularly if Qaddafi is able to re-take cities, this may have a chilling effect on protests elsewhere, particularly raising awareness of potential violent dynamics and the risks inherent in attempting a revolution. Such a chilling effect, at this point, would not be entirely unwelcome.

It's really rather difficult to come up with an adequate response to this.

Don't try to understand it, Xahar, just accept that them sandpeople don't really count when that Human Rights thing is discussed.

My point is that you guys are taking a rather simplistic view of things, but I don't expect you to understand.

Yes, we're ignorant naive idiots who aren't as naturally brilliant as you are. Sorry Sad
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »

If anybody thinks France is acting like this out of commitment to human rights/democracy and any other big nice concepts, they're stupid.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:04:21 PM »

Isn't it so damn obvious that Sarkozy is only acting like this to boost his international standing after his utter incompetence on Tunisia/Egypt and an attempt to place himself ahead of the US on the issue?

Really, if anybody believes that France is acting out of concern for democracy or human rights they're either hopelessly idealist fools or downright stupid.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:09:19 PM »

Maybe the UMP should consider annexing Cyrenaica. It could help their dim electoral chances.

Also, Westerwelle/Germany's actions have been disgraceful, almost as bad as Sarkozy's in the Egyptian and Tunisian days.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »

Well, Brazil's foreign policy pretty much sucks. Lula's main fault there is cozying up too much with authoritarian regimes for strategic reasons.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »

Canada will send 6 planes for the no-fly zone.

Hahahahahalololololol hahaha. Thankfully we're not sending our wooden ships, or else they'd get there by 2013.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »

Well, now we can say honor is (partly) saved. Except for Germany which should really go f-ck itself now, what a disappointment.

Let's just hope it's not too late...

Brazil is also pretty disappointing in its abstention

Oh, yeah, and I guess that Qadaffi's secret of the Hungarian Dwarf is pretty damn bad if France wants to bomb the sh**t out him that fast.

Canada will send 6 planes for the no-fly zone.

Hahahahahalololololol hahaha. Thankfully we're not sending our wooden ships, or else they'd get there by 2013.

Ah, I can't say, CBC is more optimistic than you though, they say they'll be over Libya under 24h, that are some CF-18 exactly, and 100 to 200 men would participate.

I thought all our CF-18s were broken for a change. Hopefully Steve doesn't gain points out of this to make the idiots who live in this country forget his foreign policy failures otherwise.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »

Awful people. Hungarian Dwarf and the used car salesman from Calgary
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »

I have a feeling that scumbag Steve Harper will disgustingly and shamelessly spin this to his advantage during the oh, so likely election campaign later this month. And the idiots who inhabit  Canada will gobble it all up.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »

Apparently, Canada is sending 6 bombers in Libya. They left Canada on Thursday

But they don't do anything until they decide if they will be based in France or in Italy.
Great, if it take two days to take that decision... no wonder why people laugh of Canada.

Well, we have a reactionary idiot leader, a cabinet of clowns and incompetents, a defense minister who looks like a village idiot, a joke environmental policy made by oil lobbyists, a navy which is the butt of all jokes and an attitude both politically/culturally/economically which makes us look like idiots or jokes.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »

Does anybody have links or something to some decent articles on the role of tribes and tribal loyalty in this? I've barely found anything, and it's a a subject of interest.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:20:40 AM »

Damme it. I don't suppose there's any chance he could escape to Saudi Arabia?

Considering that Qadhafi allegedly tried to arrange an assassination of the Saudi monarch and that he viscerally hates them, I kinda doubt it. Sorry your bloodthirsty tyrant won't make it.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »

I'm npwhere near hypocritical enough to pretend this outcome wasn't the best one possible as far as I'm concerned. What would have been the use of a trial for crimes against humanity? Those things are at best just edified lynching parties, at worst they mean the war criminal gets to die an easy death in a The Hague mini-appartment . Also, when a dictator of multiple decades falls, exterminating all possibility of a restoration is the way to go.

Thank you. I was worried about this world with all those idiots going on about their whining about "zomgz it was evul!!11 war crimes!!11". Gaddafi was a mass-murderer, an authoritarian bastard of the most despicable kind, and a criminal who killed thousands of his own people in terrible atrocious condition. Maybe lynching isn't cute, but I really don't think that sh**t deserved any better. So can we cut out the bleeding-heart activism which is so pathetic?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies