Is this Christie's opening?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:44:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is this Christie's opening?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this Christie's opening?  (Read 1503 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:34:36 PM »

His speech this week is making waves. The "planets are aligning" according to some. The "time is now" is another common phrase.

Could this be the opening he's been secretly hoping for for awhile now?  Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:42:43 AM »

February 16, 2011

Bonus Quote of the Day

"Listen, I threatened to commit suicide. Apparently, I actually have to commit suicide to convince people I'm not running."

-- New Jersey Chris Christie (R), quoted by The Hill, still trying to convince reporters he's not running for president.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/02/16/bonus_quote_of_the_day.html
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:05:56 AM »

February 16, 2011

Bonus Quote of the Day

"Listen, I threatened to commit suicide. Apparently, I actually have to commit suicide to convince people I'm not running."

-- New Jersey Chris Christie (R), quoted by The Hill, still trying to convince reporters he's not running for president.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/02/16/bonus_quote_of_the_day.html

Well, you have to give him points for creativity.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »

Another, more important quote -

"You have to believe in your heart and your soul that you're ready to be president. And I don't believe that about myself right now".

Saying he's "not ready" is a lot more definitive than the usual "I'm not running" stuff.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:41:39 AM »

I think that staying out is a smart move for Christie.  He only got elected governor in 2009, a few more years under his belt would help him.

Also, if he runs in 2012, he'll be facing an incumbent president with an formidible campaign orginization (asuming he gets the nomination).  If he waits it out until 2016, it is likely that there will be an open seat, which would be an easier task.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »

I think that's the best explanation I've read on why Republicans seem so enamored with Christie.

http://www.frumforum.com/chris-christie-rino-tough

A left-wing friend of mine jokes that conservatives are “the party of affect”: meaning that conservatives tend to care much more how a politician speaks than what a candidate says. Christie almost perfectly exemplifies this rule. If he were a soft-spoken, conciliatory Northeastern budget-balancer, he’d be dismissed as a Bill Weld/Mike Castle RINO. But instead, he’s an-in-your-face confrontationalist. So he can favor handgun control and still be the Coulter choice for president. Just so long as he’s rude about it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »

Christie mused, sadly, that he might have to commit suicide to convince folks he isn't running. He said, candidly, that he is not now ready for the job. I wonder when the bulk of the GOP candidate who are running, will reach that level of self awareness; heck,  for most of them, they will never be ready.

The more I cross paths with Christie, the more I like him. He is one fat for whom I have the hots. I love the guy!  Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »

I think that's the best explanation I've read on why Republicans seem so enamored with Christie.

A left-wing friend of mine jokes that conservatives are “the party of affect”: meaning that conservatives tend to care much more how a politician speaks than what a candidate says. Christie almost perfectly exemplifies this rule. If he were a soft-spoken, conciliatory Northeastern budget-balancer, he’d be dismissed as a Bill Weld/Mike Castle RINO. But instead, he’s an-in-your-face confrontationalist. So he can favor handgun control and still be the Coulter choice for president. Just so long as he’s rude about it.

That's spot on IMO.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »

That's spot on IMO.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »

He'll run in 2016. I know he will.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »

Perpahaps TPaw should post some videos of him yelling at people on YouTube. He could just walk the streets and say things like "life's a bitch, deal with it!" to random walkers by and he could get some of that Christie buzz
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »

Perpahaps TPaw should post some videos of him yelling at people on YouTube. He could just walk the streets and say things like "life's a bitch, deal with it!" to random walkers by and he could get some of that Christie buzz

He called Obama a "chicken" and supports the reinstatement of DADT, to no avail.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 03:53:22 PM »

That's spot on IMO.

It's not quite spot on, because it assumes Chris Christie is a RINO. He's actually a solid conservative, which is what makes him intriguing. Dude is pro-life, for example.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2011, 04:03:31 PM by feeblepizza »

One more time: CHRISTIE IS NOT RUNNING IN 2012.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »

That's spot on IMO.

It's not quite spot on, because it assumes Chris Christie is a RINO. He's actually a solid conservative, which is what makes him intriguing. Dude is pro-life, for example.

He is pro-gun control, supports civil unions for gays and he is sympathetic to illegal immigrants.
Other Republicans have been crucified for much less.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 04:54:55 PM »

If he supports civil unions for gays, it's because it's the status quo in NJ, and he isn't actively seeking to repeal it. That is as conservative as it gets for 95% of the state. He scuttled the gay marriage bill passed before he took office, working behind the scenes, because he didn't want to deal with it as Governor. Not that the legislature was super enthusiastic.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »

If he supports civil unions for gays, it's because it's the status quo in NJ, and he isn't actively seeking to repeal it. That is as conservative as it gets for 95% of the state. He scuttled the gay marriage bill passed before he took office, working behind the scenes, because he didn't want to deal with it as Governor. Not that the legislature was super enthusiastic.

I don't question any of that. I just point out that even this seemingly reasonable position would be considered anathema by the Coulters and the Limbaughs if it was Mitt Romney or Mike Castle the one to hold it, instead of Christie.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 11:51:53 PM »

The simple truth is that a top tier challenger like Christie has every reason to wait and no real reason to run.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 03:04:23 AM »

Yeah totally!

...but in reality, no, he isn't running...like he has said many different times before.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies