The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:37:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32]
Author Topic: The Wisconsin Cheese Showdown  (Read 58943 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: April 01, 2011, 07:53:37 PM »

Hopper was the first one for whom they collected enough signatures.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/118847354.html

The recall campaign against Sen. Randy Hopper (R-Fond du Lac) may or may not have enough signatures to force a recall election, though volunteers don't plan to stop collecting them before next week.

Scott Dillman, a former Department of Corrections employee who is one of the campaign's coordinators, wouldn't say directly Tuesday that volunteers had collected the 15,269 signatures required to force the election. But he said that volunteers were planning a last push for signatures on election day next Tuesday, and that he's hoping that the total collected will be "closer to 30,000 than 15,000."
Dgov
United States

« Reply #776 on: April 01, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »

Wisconsin Teacher charged with death threats against Republican Lawmakers.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/01/wisconsin.budget.death.threats/

Probably won't change much--the news cycle here has already moved on.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #777 on: April 01, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »

Wisconsin Teacher charged with death threats against Republican Lawmakers.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/01/wisconsin.budget.death.threats/

Probably won't change much--the news cycle here has already moved on.

I'd actually eat my hat if this turns out to be significant news.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #778 on: April 01, 2011, 11:47:24 PM »

Meritorious, TG, but will it stop the law from taking effect or being overturned?
If Kloppenburg wins it changes the court from 4 conservatives and 3 progressives to the other way around and what that may mean to a ruling on the law.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #779 on: April 02, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »

Meritorious, TG, but will it stop the law from taking effect or being overturned?
If Kloppenburg wins it changes the court from 4 conservatives and 3 progressives to the other way around and what that may mean to a ruling on the law.

I'm glad you realized it wasn't a rhetorical question......thanks for the info!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #780 on: April 02, 2011, 09:38:31 AM »

How insane is it that we have to assume the political leanings of the justice will determine how they would rule on a case that is purely about procedure under the law where there is no undefined gray area. I don't even know what Walker's argument would be. He's clearly in the wrong on Open Meetings, hence the steamroller approach to establish facts on the ground.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #781 on: April 02, 2011, 02:08:31 PM »

How insane is it that we have to assume the political leanings of the justice will determine how they would rule on a case that is purely about procedure under the law where there is no undefined gray area. I don't even know what Walker's argument would be. He's clearly in the wrong on Open Meetings, hence the steamroller approach to establish facts on the ground.

If you only read the left wing blogosphere echo chamber, which is often uncritically regurgitated by the mainstream media, Walker has no argument.  In the real world, there is a very good argument that no violation occurred.   Under the open meetings law, Senate rules trump the Open Meetings Law.  And those rules were followed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #782 on: April 02, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »

If you only read the left wing blogosphere echo chamber, which is often uncritically regurgitated by the mainstream media, Walker has no argument.

I admire the craftsmanship in this sentence.

I wonder if you can google up a link from a conservative blog that proves that Walker was right to pretend the law had passed because the LRB published it, too.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #783 on: April 02, 2011, 08:51:18 PM »

If you only read the left wing blogosphere echo chamber, which is often uncritically regurgitated by the mainstream media, Walker has no argument.

I admire the craftsmanship in this sentence.

I wonder if you can google up a link from a conservative blog that proves that Walker was right to pretend the law had passed because the LRB published it, too.

I never said that anything proves anything.  I said that your claim that Walker has no arguments is simply incorrect.

The people who brought the lawsuit never sued the person responsible for publishing Michigan's laws.  As such, the injunction did not apply to him.  Moreover, a Wisconsin judge has no power whatsoever to stop a law from being published.  Court challenges can only be brought after a law has gone into effect.  Otherwise, there is no case or controversy to begin with, as there is no law on the books to sue about.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #784 on: April 19, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »

Two more petitions were filed today, against Luther Olsen and  against  Sheila Harsdorf.
Up to 4 and getting close with Darling.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #785 on: May 04, 2011, 12:09:57 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2011, 12:12:05 AM by TexasGurl »

The Democrat won the special election to fill a seat in the assembly that was Republican for16 years, he mostly ran against walker not his opponent.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #786 on: May 04, 2011, 02:53:04 AM »

Does this mean the GOP doesn't have a quorum-proof majority anymore?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #787 on: May 04, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »

No, those seats were vacant at the start of the session.  Reps added 2, Dems added 1, so the numbers are now 59-38-1, so the GOP has just over 60% (and therefore quorum-proof) majority.  I think there's another Special election though, but its a Safe Dem seat in Madison.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #788 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06:53 PM »

No, those seats were vacant at the start of the session.  Reps added 2, Dems added 1, so the numbers are now 59-38-1, so the GOP has just over 60% (and therefore quorum-proof) majority.  I think there's another Special election though, but its a Safe Dem seat in Madison.

And once that's filled the republicans will have 59.59% of the seats - though they'd still be able to get to the quorum w/ the independent, if he chooses to turn out.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #789 on: May 04, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »

And once that's filled the republicans will have 59.59% of the seats - though they'd still be able to get to the quorum w/ the independent, if he chooses to turn out.

The independent caucuses with Democrats. 
Dgov
United States

« Reply #790 on: May 04, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »

yeah, but by that point it won't really matter.  Its not like the Democrats are inkling to repeat that boondoggle all over again
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #791 on: May 06, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/05/wis-dems-alleging-gop-fraud-in-recalls.php?ref=fpblg

Sorry again for Talkingpointsmemo, but this was just too good.

So, Wisconsin Republicans... desperate to recall Democrats, pay people from out of state on a per signature basis in order to beef up the petitions... and at least one name rung some bells... of a man, whose widow assures us has been dead for 20 years, that showed up on the petition.  How'd that happen?  His name still appears in the phone book.

This opens up a whole can of worms since it's very very very very unlikely that whoever put his name in there only got his name from the phone book.

This is honestly just too good.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #792 on: May 06, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »

Dead people's names??  On a petition?!?  Now I've truly seen everything...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #793 on: May 06, 2011, 06:35:54 PM »

Dead people's names??  On a petition?!?  Now I've truly seen everything...

Voter fraud!!!

I betcha it's all the fault of those damn Mexicans. Wisconsin is crawling with them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #794 on: May 10, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »

It's ACORN's doing for sure!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies