Parential notification for abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:03:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Parential notification for abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Parential notification for abortion  (Read 6891 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 09:57:28 PM »

A decision like this should not have to rely on the "stewardship" of her parents.  Her parents can be poor stewards and this is a decision a woman will have to lvie with far beyond age 18 without any parental support.  I would like to make life easier and say the decision should not be given to the whim of the parent.

The courts could decide in that case who is best fit to make the decision for the child. Thats why we have a whole 'child court system'. And who is the judge if the parents are poor stewards? The child herself? Obviously, no, for the fact that she may disagree with her parents and call them 'bad' simply for disagreeing with her. If you are under 18 you can't vote and have very few constitutional rights to do anything.

Courts are a bunch of buraucracy and very expensive.  It should not be left up to the courts because it takes too much time.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 09:57:42 PM »

So the parent should be responsible for the child conceived under 18 until that's 18?  And no parents do not OWN their children until 18.  A father can't have sex with his daughter because it's an object.  That was in Roman times buddy. 

I did not word that well. What I ment that is the parent is responsible for his/her child until he/she is eighteen. No they do not "own" the child, but they are responsible for it's wellbeing.

Yes, but your comment is essentially correct. Although parents don't 'own' their children. They steer much of a childs destiny and where/what/how a child does what he/she does.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2004, 09:59:27 PM »

A decision like this should not have to rely on the "stewardship" of her parents.  Her parents can be poor stewards and this is a decision a woman will have to lvie with far beyond age 18 without any parental support.  I would like to make life easier and say the decision should not be given to the whim of the parent.

The courts could decide in that case who is best fit to make the decision for the child. Thats why we have a whole 'child court system'. And who is the judge if the parents are poor stewards? The child herself? Obviously, no, for the fact that she may disagree with her parents and call them 'bad' simply for disagreeing with her. If you are under 18 you can't vote and have very few constitutional rights to do anything.

Courts are a bunch of buraucracy and very expensive.  It should not be left up to the courts because it takes too much time.

I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. But who/what should be responsible for parental oversight? Courts/Schools/Church?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2004, 10:04:05 PM »

States, you disagree with abortion anyway.  You're obviously going to try to make it as restrictive as possible.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2004, 11:32:58 PM »

ok dumb but democrats listen ive heard u all say theres a "REASON" that girls shouldnt have to tell their parents. Its simply and issue of responsibility, if a girl is "responsible" enough to go have sexual intercourse, then she should be considered "responsible" enough to carry a baby for nine months. Moreover if she is "responsible" enough to have sexual intercourse and then kill the off the offspring then hell, why she must be responsible enough to live on her own no? I mean if she is going to be making such important decisions on her own w/o her parents approval the she surely must be ready to make them ALL on her own, it's unnnecissary for her parents to help
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2004, 04:40:07 PM »

And I strongly do believe in throwing an 18y.o. out the door once they hit 18. It gives them a good lesson in life.

And that lesson is "Trust no one"

;-)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2004, 05:05:30 PM »

There seem to me to be two different debates going on in one thread, the first is one on parental NOTIFICATION for abortions, the second for parental CONSENT for abortions.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2004, 05:07:49 PM »

I favor parental notificarion for an abortion. The girls paretns won't "kill" them if she tells she is preganant. (At least I would hope not)

I don't know if you've ever known or conversed with a girl who's parents found out that she had an abortion.  The parents ended up kicking her out of the house the day she turned 18, and haven't exactly spoken to her since.

Kicking an unruly child out of your home isn't always the wrong thing to do. I've known quite a few people who've done it and it ended up being the best thing for the child.

While the child may have had an abortion, that does not mean they're unruly -- some may be, but I'd bet that many aren't, and would qualify as kids who just made a big mistake. They shouldn't have to get kicked out of their home for it.

See, this is the liberal in me Tongue
Julien
Squidward
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2004, 06:52:39 PM »

The child has the right to privacy. I oppose abortion, but if the child wants one that's her decision.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2004, 07:09:31 PM »

The child has the right to privacy. I oppose abortion, but if the child wants one that's her decision.

The child is also the responsibility of the parent. What happens if the child is injured during the procedure. Then what happens? The parents who didn't need to give their permission have to tend to the child. It's great, isn't it? People don't care enough about the parent's knowing about the abortion but I bet everyone here would agree that it's then the parent's responsibility to care for the kid. So someone like yourself Julien would basically be saying "You don't need to know what you're kid's doing. You have no involvement. But when something bad happens, yeah, now you can get involved." Ridiculous.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2004, 07:50:19 PM »

The child is also the responsibility of the parent. What happens if the child is injured during the procedure. Then what happens? The parents who didn't need to give their permission have to tend to the child. It's great, isn't it? People don't care enough about the parent's knowing about the abortion but I bet everyone here would agree that it's then the parent's responsibility to care for the kid. So someone like yourself Julien would basically be saying "You don't need to know what you're kid's doing. You have no involvement. But when something bad happens, yeah, now you can get involved." Ridiculous.

And the child is also responsible for their child in turn after age 18.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2004, 08:52:35 PM »

And the child is also responsible for their child in turn after age 18.

What happens when the 14 year old goes in for an abortion and has some problems? Who takes care of the 14 year old? The parents, of course. The same people you don't want involved in this process. Parents: Keep them out of your lives unless you need them for something important. Is that the motto?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2004, 09:58:17 PM »

I believe that children are the responsibility of the parents until they turn 18 - and that includes making medical decisions for them. No other medical procedure can be performed on a minor without parental consent, how is this different? It is a medical procedure that can be dangerous, and the parents would end up paying for any negative consequences.

Most young people are too immature to make the correct decisions in life, so it takes a parent to make those decisions sometimes. Aside from the rare exception of rape, how could you trust a pregnant teenager to make the right decision? They were stupid enough to get knocked up, probably unprotected, and you expect them to be mature enough to make the correct choice? PLEASE!

That being said, I do think that in these cases that the pregnant minor in question SHOULD be able to adopt her child out when it is born, with the help of an agent of the state(to determine if prospective families are suitable for a child), regardless of parental consent.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2004, 01:25:17 AM »

Here in Florida Parental Notification is now required by law. If they lowered the age of consent to 16 it could solve a lot of problems.
qwerty
ghwbush
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2004, 05:11:13 AM »

I believe that children are the responsibility of the parents until they turn 18 - and that includes making medical decisions for them. No other medical procedure can be performed on a minor without parental consent, how is this different? It is a medical procedure that can be dangerous, and the parents would end up paying for any negative consequences.

Dibble, this is basically what I've been trying to say. You said it clearer in one post then I did in four or five :-) Good job.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2004, 11:19:49 PM »

If the child gets injured then the parents sue the hospital for exorbitant amounts and everyone is happy.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2004, 06:15:33 AM »

If the child gets injured then the parents sue the hospital for exorbitant amounts and everyone is happy.

Oh, and that solves everything. "Let's sue. It's the American way!"

Please, that's a poor solution and you also infer that money is the key to happiness. BULLS**T! That's a very asinine thing to say. If someone allowed my child to do this and they got hurt OR DIED, I'd be furious and no amount of money could make me happy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2004, 03:56:52 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh ok I get it. Let's use the parent's ability to sue for damages. Still missing the point that the parent's, who were left out of the process because they didn't need to know, now have to take on the problem.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2004, 05:38:19 PM »

I don't think I would want to be States' kid.

Smiley

I fear you having children.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2004, 09:59:02 PM »

Look, people, let's be reasonable about this. Parental notification is NOT necessary. The teenager's body is essentially adult. The mind is still forming, and obviously the financial side of things would be problematic if the girl carried to term. What makes the most sense from the pragmatic appraoch? Abort the damn thing, ASAP.

Don't bother consulting the parents; it's not their body.

Don't bother notifying the parents. Either they know it happened or they don't know it happened. If they know, great. If they don't know, then why risk pissing off the parents?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2004, 11:05:55 PM »

Right. They just have to pay for it when things go wrong.

MINORS DO NOT HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS THAT ADULTS DO. Even as a libertarian, I have no problem with this. Your parents essentially make all other decisions for you before you are 18 - this is no different.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2004, 01:23:15 AM »

Children under the age of 18 do NOT have every right which exists in the constitution.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2004, 07:47:05 AM »

Don't bother notifying the parents. Either they know it happened or they don't know it happened. If they know, great. If they don't know, then why risk pissing off the parents?

I feel the need to further comment. You are obviously not a parent, so this is probably an easy thing to say for you, but do try to consider something - if you were a parent, don't you think it would be in both you and your child's best interests to know if they are going to have an abortion? This isn't just a notification about having an abortion - this is about being notified that your child has been having sex. If your kid is having sex, and getting pregnant, you should know. If parents don't know their kids are having sex, then they might not know they need to have a serious talk about sex, responsibility, and all that stuff.

Further on the 'it's not their body' argument - if you use this argument, then you have to allow children to be able to make ALL their own medical decisions. That includes things like plastic surgery. Also, it's always their body, so they should be able to do it whenever they like - a five year old should be able to get a boob job without parental consent by your argument. Oh, and let's not forget tatoos, piercings, ect. Oh, and parents can't force kids to eat their vegetables anymore, because it's not their body to regulate. You getting my drift yet? Minors do not have the same rights adults do - they aren't normally mentally ready to make any of those decisions.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2004, 03:29:47 PM »

But the parent suddenly has to take up responsibilty when something happens to their daughter's body AND inside of the daughter's body, whether you want to admit it or not, is a LIFE.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2004, 10:53:29 AM »

But the parent suddenly has to take up responsibilty when something happens to their daughter's body AND inside of the daughter's body, whether you want to admit it or not, is a LIFE.

So what if it's a life? Lives aren't sacred. Any time you eat, you take a life, so whether it's living or not is not an issue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies