man charged w/ manufacturing child sexual abusive materials for editing a video
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:38:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  man charged w/ manufacturing child sexual abusive materials for editing a video
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: man charged w/ manufacturing child sexual abusive materials for editing a video  (Read 1302 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:01:06 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
le sigh

Yes, he did something stupid.  Yes, he may need to be punished for what he did....maybe.  But a felony...for child sexual abuse material?  Have not hundreds (probably thousands) of people done the exact same bit before?  Film something light and fun with some kids, then edit to make it look like something not so light and fun is going on.  Often you'll get comedy gold.

This...this is just idiocy.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »

Wow, so this guy's probably going to be labeled a pedophile sex offender (and show up as such on those "LOOK AT THE MOLESTERS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD" website databases for everyone to see) for doing something that didn't harm any kids in any way.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »

I would consider any legislator who voted for the pile of garbage he's being prosecuted under a "sex offender".
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »

Utterly ridiculous. What he did was dickish and stupid perhaps, but not criminal.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »

Utterly ridiculous. What he did was dickish and stupid perhaps, but not criminal.

In today's world, dickish and stupid are too often treated as criminal behavior.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »

Wow, so this guy's probably going to be labeled a pedophile sex offender (and show up as such on those "LOOK AT THE MOLESTERS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD" website databases for everyone to see) for doing something that didn't harm any kids in any way.

What he did is no better or worse than written or non-photographic material that has pedophilic themes, and those can get one jailed and convicted under the theory that it encourages people to think of children sexually, even tho no children at all were involved in their production.  Generally, I find that a dubious argument, but in this case children were involved, albeit indirectly.  Certainly there could be a higher likelihood that those specific children could be seen as sexual creatures by someone viewing the video than if they hadn't been edited into the video.  Not having watched the video, I have no idea if the video actually does that, but the possibility is certainly there, and if so, then the children were harmed.  Whether they were harmed sufficiently to warrant criminal prosecution is a separate question I don't have sufficient knowledge of the case to answer, but neither do those of the predictable chorus of libertarians here who are chiming in against the very idea of this possibly being criminal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »

Whether they were harmed sufficiently to warrant criminal prosecution is a separate question I don't have sufficient knowledge of the case to answer, but neither do those of the predictable chorus of libertarians here who are chiming in against the very idea of this possibly being criminal.
Yes, he did something stupid.  Yes, he may need to be punished for what he did....maybe.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »

So you weren't part of the chorus dead0man.  Doesn't mean there wasn't one.

(Emphases added by me below.)

Wow, so this guy's probably going to be labeled a pedophile sex offender for doing something that didn't harm any kids in any way.

I would consider any legislator who voted for the pile of garbage he's being prosecuted under a "sex offender".

In today's world, dickish and stupid are too often treated as criminal behavior.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies