Driver's licenses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:15:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Driver's licenses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: What makes the most sense?
Raise the age limit to 18

Keep it the way it is

Do away with driver's licenses

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Driver's licenses  (Read 11539 times)
danwxman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 11:32:07 PM »

No. I can't even get it until December. But I think it's stupid that you need certification from a 'professional' Behind the Wheel teacher.

Would you rather the Behind the Wheel program be government run?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 11:33:40 PM »

No. I'd rather it not exist.
danwxman

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2004, 11:33:55 PM »

If anything, the system for getting your driver's license should be more rigid and restrictive. There should also be a mandatory test for senior citizens once they reach the retirement age, and another test every five years after that.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2004, 11:38:17 PM »

One of the things we need to do is build a culture of personal responsiblity. I bet accidents would go down under my system.
danwxman

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2004, 11:39:22 PM »

One of the things we need to do is build a culture of personal responsiblity. I bet accidents would go down under my system.

We don't live in this utopian society you speak of.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2004, 11:39:43 PM »

That's an extreme minority, and they'll die off pretty quickly

taking how many others with them?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2004, 11:41:04 PM »

alright, Philip, why not legalize drunk driving? We need to create a culture of personal responsibility, and besides, most people won't do stuff that dangerous anyway.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2004, 11:42:20 PM »

Im really sorry but the idea of not having a drivers license is just plain insane.  People would not do stupid stuff like drive without insurance or drunk because the risk is too great?  Ive got news for you tons of people do it now, and eliminating a drivers licence would not solve anything, it would put more idiots and children behind the wheel.   

In my opinoin this is just a stupid idea of an obviously immature individual that wants to be able to drive the strip to pick up chicks at age 15...

It is obvious that you are a 15 year old kid that has it all figured out.  You think that you are oppressed by adults and that just cant wait to get behind the wheel.  When you grow up you will see that these regulations are in place for reasons other than to just keep kids from having a good time.

In my current work I rutinely see people splattered across the interstate.  Not fun.  I guaruntee, if anything is needed it is stricter control on licenses.  We have enough immature idiots of all ages on the road as it is.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2004, 11:51:32 PM »

In my opinoin this is just a stupid idea of an obviously immature individual

Correct

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Incorrect.

Except that I'm not 15, and don't have it all figured out.

That is one of the dumbest things I've read in my life.

Actually I don't give a damn. I have no place to drive to. This is a philosophical argument.

Alright, it's fine to insult me, but at least read my posts first. I said that under THIS IDEA adults wouldn't let them drive. And that's why it isn't insane. OBVIOUSLY no kid should be able to drive without his/her parent's permission.

My idea is supposed to reduce the number of people splattered across the interstate. And I've never seen that.
danwxman

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2004, 11:54:19 PM »

I enjoyed driving for about 2 years after I got my license. Now, I hate it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2004, 12:12:05 AM »

I think Australia has it right, personally. When you turn 16, you get a learners' license-you can drive, but must have an adult driver in the passangers' seat, and have to have yellow L-Plates on your car. When you are 18, you get your P-Plates (Probationary), red ones, which you keep for at least 3 years; you can drive by yourself but can't have any blood alcohol, or break the law, because if you do you'll have to start the three year period again. After that-after 5 years of driving-you have a full license-and no plates Cheesy.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2004, 12:21:19 AM »

I should add after reading the thread more carefully-it's absically an esier to understand version of British Columbia's system-but which Victoria copied the other? Cheesy
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2004, 12:24:07 AM »

BC. Canada rips everyone off. Cheesy
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2004, 12:24:30 AM »

If anything, the system for getting your driver's license should be more rigid and restrictive. There should also be a mandatory test for senior citizens once they reach the retirement age, and another test every five years after that.

I......OMG agree with you on this!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2004, 12:31:31 AM »

we've already had that debate, the government basically decided that if you were an old driver and got caught breaking the road rules or if there were multiple (3, IIRC) complaints about your driving, then you had to sit a driving test.

I would prefer it to be just every ten years for every driver; because some people haqve abused the complaints system to get back at neighbours, exes, etc.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2004, 01:18:33 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

Alright, it's fine to insult me, but at least read my posts first. I said that under THIS IDEA adults wouldn't let them drive. And that's why it isn't insane. OBVIOUSLY no kid should be able to drive without his/her parent's permission.

My idea is supposed to reduce the number of people splattered across the interstate. And I've never seen that.

I did read your post, and what you obviously cant understand is that getting rid of drivers licences would not make less kids drive.  That is totally insane and illogical.  Your theory that people act responsibly is absolutely inncorrect and naive.

In no way would people not having drivers liceses keep people from getting killed.  You only argument is that people would suddenly realize that their actions have serious consequences.  Ive got news for you, that isnt the way the world works.

If you did see a family of 5 splattered across the interstate, or a 15 year old drunk kid who took the family car pinned under the rear dualies of a tractor-trailer, maybe you would realize how serious driving is.  Peoples lives are at stake here.  And I for one do not want my wife and children out on the road with a bunch of 14 year old immature idiots out on the town. 

Oh, ok you arnt 15....ok you are 16 then, I know that is a real big difference.  Still have a lot to learn. 

Please try to bring a lucid argument that actually relates to reality in some way, becuase I do not think one exists. 

I believe that all people should have stricter regulations and requirements as far as testing, etc, no matter the age. 
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2004, 01:24:31 AM »

That is one of the dumbest things I've read in my life.

Well, you think you should be able to drive, you think you should be able to drink.  Obviously you think that these things are rights and that they have been taken away from you by adults, so it isnt dumb.   

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2004, 01:28:51 AM »

I never said 14 year olds should be allowed to drive. I'd leave the age limit alone, but I'd make it easier on people who are old enough.

As things are, parents are more inclined to let their kids get away with the bare minimum. If it was completely up to them, they'd be more cautious.

Okay, yes. I'm being 'oppressed' by people who happen to be adults and want the drinking age to be 21.

If someone's 16 and his/her parents are okay with this person drinking, then government should stay out of it. That's a right of free people.

I don't really want to drink. It has nothing to do with me (and I could already just drink anyway).
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2004, 01:45:29 AM »

there is a far cry from parents letting a 16 uear old have a drink while at home, from then being able to go to bars and liqour stores. 

If we didnt have drivers licenses then how would the cops know who can drive and who cant.  Maybe everyone under tha age of 18 should carry their birth certificate and a note from mommy in their pocket.

"little Jimmy can drive with my permission , Momma Smith"

I dont think that the few minutes it takes to go get a license is really making it hard on anyone who is old enough.  THere simply is no benefit at all to no having the license, for people who should be eligible that is.  For those who arnt, well they benefit cause they get to drive unrestricted.  Everyone else is potentially at risk though, so where is the gain?

I know that most people are secretly pissed off about having to go to the DMV for 10 freakin minutes every 5-10 years or more just to get a license.  You would have to go to get your state ID anyway,or else how would we know who is old enough to drive and who isnt, since you dont want to change the age requirement.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2004, 01:48:52 AM »

Nuh uh.  We were the original; everyone else copied us.

"But Gabu, Canada has only been a country since 186-"

SHUT UP
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2004, 01:52:36 AM »

I said in an earlier post:

I would technically keep driver's licenses, but you'd just have to fill out a form to get one. If you're caught driving drunk, then it should be revoked in court.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2004, 02:00:52 AM »

Just for curiosity's sake, what sort of form would you require that people fill out?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2004, 02:05:11 AM »

Name, address, SSN, etc.

They'd also have to show proof of citizenship and age, of course.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2004, 02:09:19 AM »

Phillip can you please explain how not having the license makes provides any benefit.  I cannot see a logical one.  Without it this discussion is moot.

You still need a license, it can be revoked, not everyone can have it.  SO what is the difference, just no test.  This argument just makes no sense and is totally pointless if you are just saying that it is wrong for people to have to take a test to at least show some basic understanding of road laws.  Do you really think that people would study the applicable laws in their community if they wernt tested on it?  You really are naive.

Not to mention that the drivers test could be passed easily by a quasi-reatrded monkey.  If you fail the test, do everyone a favor and stay off the road.  And please remove your genes from the pool while you are at it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2004, 02:13:45 AM »

Do you really think that people would study the applicable laws in their community if they wernt tested on it?  You really are naive.

Not to mention that if everyone DID decide to learn the laws of the road without the test, taking the rest would then be no big deal.  It takes 10 minutes tops.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies