Arizona "Birther" Bill passes State Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:22:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arizona "Birther" Bill passes State Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Arizona "Birther" Bill passes State Legislature  (Read 4951 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »

Anyone who believes in the truther stuff, the Hillary had Vince Foster killed or the birther stuff is crazy period.  And no it would not have been the same if this was about Bush, Bush is white.

We HAD a WHITE President who faced questions about his birthplace - Chester Arthur.  That's a fact.  Attributing to racism something that can more easily be explained by something else is far too simplistic.  People are racist isn't the answer to everything regarding those who think something bad about Obama.

I am not defending birthers, just pointing out their motives aren't as simplistic as they're racist or nuts - especially those who aren't true birthers, but those don't really know or perhaps even care where Obama was born.  Doubts have been raised, which will increase undecideds among those who don't pay close attention to politics.

The poll which showed that only 27% of GOP voters believe the president is a Christian (the plurality believe he's a muslim) and 51% believe the president was not born in the United States... can you IMAGINE what the response would have been if 51% of democrats believed that Bush/Cheney organised 9/11???

Do you have a link to that poll?  If it is the Kos poll I think it was, I seem to recall it was sort of a push poll, and might have lumped the don't knows with those who think he was born overseas.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »

It was a PPP poll.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_US_0215.pdf
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »

Thanks.  The poll is of GOP Primary voters, including Independents and Democrats.  The sample size is pretty small - 400.  And, for some bizarre reason (extremely small sub-sample size, no doubt), those describing themselves as very liberal are most likely to believe Obama was born outside of the US.  

Considering the nonsense Trump has been spouting the past few weeks, the numbers might be even higher now, across the board - at least temporarily.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »

The thing that's really frustrating is that reasonable Republicans are not putting their foot down saying "look, the President was born in the United States, this is ridiculous" - only Romney has done it... what does that say to you?

There's a lot of currency is spouting this dangerous and, I'm sorry, blatantly racist BS.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2011, 08:19:04 PM »

Anyone who believes in the truther stuff, the Hillary had Vince Foster killed or the birther stuff is crazy period.  And no it would not have been the same if this was about Bush, Bush is white.

We HAD a WHITE President who faced questions about his birthplace - Chester Arthur.  That's a fact.  Attributing to racism something that can more easily be explained by something else is far too simplistic.  People are racist isn't the answer to everything regarding those who think something bad about Obama.

I am not defending birthers, just pointing out their motives aren't as simplistic as they're racist or nuts - especially those who aren't true birthers, but those don't really know or perhaps even care where Obama was born.  Doubts have been raised, which will increase undecideds among those who don't pay close attention to politics.

The poll which showed that only 27% of GOP voters believe the president is a Christian (the plurality believe he's a muslim) and 51% believe the president was not born in the United States... can you IMAGINE what the response would have been if 51% of democrats believed that Bush/Cheney organised 9/11???

Do you have a link to that poll?  If it is the Kos poll I think it was, I seem to recall it was sort of a push poll, and might have lumped the don't knows with those who think he was born overseas.

And the Arthur thing was over 100 years ago, and was not this big thing.  Granted that was well before the TV & Internet, but fact is anyone that thinks a major portion of this birther movement isn't about race clearly has their head in the sand.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »

Well Brewer vetoed the bill, so this conversation is now irrelevant.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/politics/state_politics/brewer-vetoes-birther-bill-guns-on-campus-4-18-2011
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »

Brewer vetoes the birther bill (also vetoed the guns on campus bill)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/041811_brewer_vetoes
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2011, 08:26:57 PM »

While a significant portion of the birthers are racist, to say that this is all about race is inaccurate.  If Obama was born and raised in inner city Chicago, there would be nobody disputing his citizenship.  What this is about is xenophobia (which is not racism) and fear of radical anti-American sentiment at the highest level of government.  And, of course, the highly convoluted story regarding his birth certificate.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »

While a significant portion of the birthers are racist, to say that this is all about race is inaccurate.  If Obama was born and raised in inner city Chicago, there would be nobody disputing his citizenship.  What this is about is xenophobia (which is not racism) and fear of radical anti-American sentiment at the highest level of government.  And, of course, the highly convoluted story regarding his birth certificate.

I'm not saying its all about racism, but rather than its a significant part of the whole birther issue, the other side is just people who are completely bats*** nuts. 

If instead of Obama, this was white and had one parent from Kansas and the other lets say from Britain, and he spent four years of his childhood in Germany who was born in Hawaii and supplied a state certified birth certificate showing he was born in Hawaii, this would have been long over.  Hell it would have never reached the point where people were asking for a birth certificate at all.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »

My opinion of Brewer just went up. Thank God for separation of powers and the remaining degree of sanity that the GOP shows now and then.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2011, 12:40:15 AM »

Thanks.  The poll is of GOP Primary voters, including Independents and Democrats.  The sample size is pretty small - 400.  And, for some bizarre reason (extremely small sub-sample size, no doubt), those describing themselves as very liberal are most likely to believe Obama was born outside of the US.  

Considering the nonsense Trump has been spouting the past few weeks, the numbers might be even higher now, across the board - at least temporarily.

You're a real piece of work.
I remember seeing multiple polls that produced pretty much the same results as PPP. But by all means continue to pretend that your fellow Republicans are a bunch of sane and rational people.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2011, 04:47:15 PM »

If he would've released it sooner, he wouldn't be hearing nearly as much scrutiny over it now.  Unfortunately, since he waited so long, the ultra-crazies will still claim it's not legitimate.  But I think the Donald Trumps of the world will be satisfied.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2011, 10:23:04 PM »

If he would've released it sooner, he wouldn't be hearing nearly as much scrutiny over it now.  Unfortunately, since he waited so long, the ultra-crazies will still claim it's not legitimate.  But I think the Donald Trumps of the world will be satisfied.

I still would have let them hang themselves, continue to let them isolate themselves from moderates and independents, as well as the minorities that the GOP NEEDS to win...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies