Obama government will stop defending the DOMA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:01:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama government will stop defending the DOMA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama government will stop defending the DOMA  (Read 14157 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »

I agree, this seems like a bad precedent.

Does this mean the feds will now recognize my marriage? If not, when?

The IRS sure as hell isn't going to.......as to when:

Sadly.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »

I wonder if certain liberals here still think Obama is not liberal enough?

Lol. Obama is barely liberal. I don't understand how you could realistically define him as anything other than a charismatic centrist.

If National Journal's most liberal Senator in 2007 is not a liberal, then who is a liberal, exactly?

Obviously using the GOP definition of the liberal, which is anything to left of them...

Nice try.  National Journal is not a partisan publication.

C'mon now, cinyc,  you know all Presidents gravitate to the middle.......he could have been the left of Genghis Khan in 2007 but when you sit at the big desk you can't survive unless you move to the center.

He's not nearly as liberal as President as people feared......which is bad news for the "professional left" and good news for the pubs and moderates.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »

As for the growing politicization of the Justice dept., that continues to be a concern, but I doubt anything will stop it in the future, nor is it really avoidable.  We just need to be wary of the consequences.

Sam, has there been an administration's justice department in your memory that wasn't politicized?  I can't think of one
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »

That's really the only issue that matters - as that would be a huge executive power grab if this could not be done.

Congress can choose to appoint someone. I wonder if the House GOP may actually decide not to do so, because this is the one part of DOMA which is clearly and unequivocally indefensible, and Boehner isn't looking to stir up the youngs before 2012 with a culture war where they have already banked all the votes they can get out of the issue.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hard to see this as "growing politicization" of the Justice Dept. relative to the Bush years with this as an example.

Clinton's was no better, b33......they're all politicized.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hard to see this as "growing politicization" of the Justice Dept. relative to the Bush years with this as an example.

Clinton's was no better, b33......they're all politicized.

I didn't pay much attention to this issue before Bush's second term and not at all when Clinton was President... this is something you know more about than I do.

Fair enough.....and for the record, I agree about Bush's Justice Department.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »

By the way, without reading through all of the posts.......does anyone here finding the timing almost silly given what's going on around the globe at the moment?  (He should have done this much earlier, and during a relatively non-newsy period)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »

By the way, without reading through all of the posts.......does anyone here finding the timing almost silly given what's going on around the globe at the moment?  (He should have done this much earlier, and during a relatively non-newsy period)

No, I find it perfectly rational; he wants it to be buried, to some extent.  Those who like it will notice and be happy, but those who don't are distracted by more important news.

Thanks, friend.  I never thought of it from that angle.......a very plausible explanation indeed!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »

No, I find it perfectly rational; he wants it to be buried, to some extent.  Those who like it will notice and be happy, but those who don't are distracted by more important news.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Me too. I think it was timed to be quickly driven out of the news by Libya, Bahrain, Wisconsin, Christchurch, etc.

AG Holder was in Pittsburgh yesterday speaking and declined comment on the issue.......
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »

That's really the only issue that matters - as that would be a huge executive power grab if this could not be done.

Congress can choose to appoint someone. I wonder if the House GOP may actually decide not to do so, because this is the one part of DOMA which is clearly and unequivocally indefensible, and Boehner isn't looking to stir up the youngs before 2012 with a culture war where they have already banked all the votes they can get out of the issue.

Indefensible to gay rights activists, perhaps.  But not indefensible to the Republican social conservative base.  The Republicans are dead with their base if they don't fight Obama's nonsensical decision.

How are they going to fight him, except with words?  (Not rhetorical)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »

Damn that powerful Homosexual Lobby!
If only other minorities like Wall Street bankers and Oil & Gas companies had that much influence.

Nobody is as powerful and as stealthy behind...the scenes as the pink mafia.

Correct, Godfather Bullmoose.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:13 AM »

Damn that powerful Homosexual Lobby!
If only other minorities like Wall Street bankers and Oil & Gas companies had that much influence.

Nobody is as powerful and as stealthy behind...the scenes as the pink mafia.

Correct, Godfather Bullmoose.

Can you give me a moment...I'm a bit tired from chasing you around these tomato plants.  My left arm hurts...my chest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies