Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2015, 02:22:18 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  What if the financial crisis happened in Sept. 2007?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What if the financial crisis happened in Sept. 2007?  (Read 109 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:41:05 pm »
Ignore

Would it have changed much? I have to think it would've been even worse for the GOP. Unemployment probably would've peaked at 10% right around Election Day. I assume TARP and some type of stimulus still would've happened, but the latter would've taken a different form given that R's had the White House and 49 Senate seats.

Would McCain have still been the nominee? The GOP may have looked for someone with more expertise on economic issues. On the other hand, the nomination would've been seen as so worthless (even more so than IRL) that maybe no one would have challenged him. I doubt Romney would be a serious candidate in this scenario.

I don't think the 2010 midterms would be as bad for the Democrats because unemployment would have begun to fall by then...maybe the Republicans don't even win the House.

I think Obama's reelection is a shoo-in.
Blue Collar Communist
TNF
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:02:34 pm »
Ignore

Obama wouldn't be the Democratic nominee, because Democratic Party voters are probably going to go with someone who they think is experienced enough to guide the country through the crisis and/or someone with some populist street cred. My guess is that Obama wouldn't even be the go-to choice for liberals - it'd be John Edwards.

Edwards and Clinton (who fakes populism like there's no tomorrow) duke it out and Edwards' sex scandals probably do him in and allow Hillary to win the nomination.

On the Republican side, this probably gives a big boost to Huckabee, although I could still see McCain as the nominee. Either way, the Democrats win by an even larger margin, as now they have an entire year to hit the Republicans not just for their foreign policy failures, but also a massive economic crisis. Nader might get 1 percent of the vote.

Blue Collar Communist
TNF
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:05:20 pm »
Ignore

My best guess.

vivaportugalhabs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -0.52

P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:10:19 pm »
Ignore

My best guess.
Wait, losing IN but winning TN, WV, and KY?

Economically progressive, socially centre-left Portuguese-American-Canadian Catholic.
tara gilesbie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:20:28 pm »
Ignore

My best guess.
Wait, losing IN but winning TN, WV, and KY?

Hillary Clinton is the candidate in the scenario.

Quote from:  My Immortal
“What do you know, Hargrid? You’re just a little Hogwarts student!”

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT….” Hargirid paused angrily. “BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”

“This cannot be.” Snap said in a crisp voice as blood dripped from his hand where Dumblydore’s wand had shot him. “There must be other factors.”

“YOU DON’T HAVE ANY!” I yelled in madly.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout