THE RULES of "Election What-if's" and its subfora (Read before posting plzkthx)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:51:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  THE RULES of "Election What-if's" and its subfora (Read before posting plzkthx)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE RULES of "Election What-if's" and its subfora (Read before posting plzkthx)  (Read 11682 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »

In addition to the forum's terms of service (which everybody of course must follow), I'd like to highlight some guidelines specific to these boards and my moderation of them.

• I am a mere human and therefore can't monitor every single post. If you encounter a post that offends you, please report it and/or send me a PM.
  • STAY CIVIL. If you dislike a poster's timeline, criticize it, not the poster. Try to keep comments on a constructive level. Don't mock other forumites, make troll timelines, etc. Violations will be enforced rather harshly.

• Make sure your post goes in the appropriate sub-forum. If you mess this up just send me a PM and I'll move it. (Related: remember that there's an interactive timeline board further down on the board as well).

• Don't spam; no repeatedly bumping the same thread without reason or posting a dozen bland threads that could have easily been condensed into a single post in the random map thread, or anything like that.

• If you're doing one of those interactive timelines or any similar collaborative effort, heed the rules of the thread/game/timeline/whatever. Related: If a poster is doin' it wrong in your collaborative thread, PM me and I'll delete without infraction any post that doesn't break the forum rules, but does legitimately disrupt your gameplay/story/thing. I repeat my suggestion to contact me because I don't read those types of threads often.
  • I know this forum has pretty strict profanity rules, but I grant a degree of "artistic" leeway for things like character dialog in a timeline. In general, I'll only infract this sort of thing if it's bad enough that someone reports it.

Also, required reading, courtesy of Dallasfan65 (edited slightly to be universally applicable):

The What-if board is, to me, the one safe-haven from all the angry bickering that pollutes the rest of the forum. I don't want that toxic waste on this board. ... I'd like everybody to remember that the poster on the other side of the monitor is still a human being.* A real person with real feelings. I personally have a sense of humor about these things, and can take a joke, but this borders on harassment and makes [people] feel unwelcome.

*This is goes for every forum-goer - remember that the poster is infact still a person, whether or not you can actually see them. When you're hitting that reply button, ask yourself "What if this person is having a bad day?" or "Maybe he sees things just a little differently than I do?"

Now, I'm a realist, and know that my words probably won't be heeded. I may be pissing in the wind, but I'd like every poster reading this thread to ask themselves if this would be a better place if everybody just set the gloves down and stopped being so goddamn combative. I think it would.

That's all for now, enjoy your posting and feel free to shoot me a PM about anything.

-BK, your happy neighborhood mod
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »

I just wanted to reply for the sake of replying.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »

Era of freedom ended.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »

Great. I'm not going to name names, but now some certain posters may be able to continue on with their business instead of being harassed.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:18:21 AM »

ZOMG U SPAMMAR I REPORT U

Don't be silly, Kal. Tongue These are the rules I've used for this forum since I've been it's mod, I just figured I should probably make them explicit so everyone understands more clearly what line not to cross. I'm not going to suddenly be a hardass, here. Besides- I'm among the more lenient mods anyway so whatever you're afraid of could be a lot worse!

Great. I'm not going to name names, but now some certain posters may be able to continue on with their business instead of being harassed.

You don't need to name names; the "report to moderator" link is there for a reason!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:25:22 AM »

The happy days Bacon didn't care about his board are over Sad
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »

Speaking of that, is it possible to move the Interactive Timelines board up here? I think it would be more popular if it was in people's sight on a more popular board.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »

Speaking of that, is it possible to move the Interactive Timelines board up here? I think it would be more popular if it was in people's sight on a more popular board.

Sure, I'll ask Dave.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »

Actually, Bacon King is a pretty laid-back mod and doesn't usually dole out infractions.

This is the first major hubbub that's gone on since BK became the moderator of this board (I don't recall anything happening under Supersoulty's watch) because nothing controversial usually goes on here. So, I suppose this thread is more of a clarification of existing rules rather than new rules.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »

Actually, Bacon King is a pretty laid-back mod

And let's it stay that way
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »

To both of the above posts-

exactly. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »

I declare my interest in becoming the WI board moderator.

I will never, ever, moderate anything.
Hamster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 10:40:20 PM »

Sorry if I missed an obvious sign, but do stories set in the future (i.e. the 2016 election) belong here?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:48:09 AM »

Sorry if I missed an obvious sign, but do stories set in the future (i.e. the 2016 election) belong here?

Basically they're set any-when you'd want... But these more affect politics, than science or other stuff.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 04:27:51 AM »

I'd like to do a timeline about the height of the Republican conservative era, the collapse and the emerging Democratic majority. It would span 15 years and I would probably make up characters.

Is this acceptable? It's more of a conceptual timeline and trying to talk about why the political trends happen than mapping out the career trajectories of real politicians.

I can definitely use real politicians though. I just want to stay within guidelines for the forum.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2014, 10:41:48 AM by Enderman »

I'd like to do a timeline about the height of the Republican conservative era, the collapse and the emerging Democratic majority. It would span 15 years and I would probably make up characters.

Is this acceptable? It's more of a conceptual timeline and trying to talk about why the political trends happen than mapping out the career trajectories of real politicians.

I can definitely use real politicians though. I just want to stay within guidelines for the forum.

Yes and Yes. (As far as I've seen them)

Edit: Just make sure there is enough backstory to them. If it's gonna be completely fictional make sure some are fitting a certain cliche. Just as some reading guidance.

Also, I'd usually PM Bacon King about this stuff.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 08:40:46 PM »

Yes and Yes. (As far as I've seen them)

Edit: Just make sure there is enough backstory to them. If it's gonna be completely fictional make sure some are fitting a certain cliche. Just as some reading guidance.

Also, I'd usually PM Bacon King about this stuff.

Thanks Smiley I've sent a PM to BaconKing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies