NYT: GM reports first annual profit since 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:09:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYT: GM reports first annual profit since 2004
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT: GM reports first annual profit since 2004  (Read 508 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:53 PM »
« edited: February 24, 2011, 01:32:47 PM by Lief »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/25/business/25auto.html?_r=2&hp

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, would you look at that. I guess government and unions can work fruitfully with business for the betterment of all involved. Too bad the Republicans will ignore this and pretend it never happened.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »

We would've created far more jobs by letting this company with 210,000 employees liquidate and then give tax breaks to their former executives, Lief.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/2010/11/18/gm-flashbac/

Rep. John Boehner (R-OH): “Does anyone really believe that politicians and bureaucrats in Washington can successfully steer a multi-national corporation to economic viability?”

RNC Chairman Michael Steele (I miss him!): “No matter how much the President spins GM’s bankruptcy as good for the economy, it is nothing more than another government grab of a private company and another handout to the union cronies who helped bankroll his presidential campaign.”

Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ): When government gets involved in a company, “the disaster that follows is predictable.”
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »

The GM bailout was successful. Pretty hard to deny that, but I think it's important to stress that it was an absolute exception and that it's now responsible for itself.

I'm pretty sick of poor business practices leading to bailouts for everything.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »

Leaving out the possibility of funny numbers (mere reclassifications, fraud or otherwise) I'm glad GM is doing better than it has in some time, that said I wholeheartedly agree with the statement below:

The GM bailout was successful. Pretty hard to deny that, but I think it's important to stress that it was an absolute exception and that it's now responsible for itself.

I'm pretty sick of poor business practices leading to bailouts for everything.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »

Although I do agree with the GOP on thing: we shouldn't have helped Chrysler.  They've been a failure of a car company their entire existence with their only contribution to society being the introduction of unnecessary Jeeps off road vehicles, Dodge trucks and crap minivans to hockey mom types.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »

Surprising. I don't know anybody who drives an American car. I've heard they're big in China though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »

Although I do agree with the GOP on thing: we shouldn't have helped Chrysler.  They've been a failure of a car company their entire existence...

Have you no soul?  Have you never seen the Blues Brothers?

Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler have made many impressive and useful vehicles.  Like GM and to a lesser extent Ford they have been responsible for allowing a mass working class a decent life - a full sized V8 car in the garage, a boat to tow behind it, and so forth.  Don't malign them just because all cars have become bad over the last couple of decades.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »

V-8's are no match for a good inline-6 or a V-12.  Their only virtue is being cheaper (not less expensive, cheaper) than a V-12 and taking less space than an inline-6.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies