what do you think of the idea of a reverse VRA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:02:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  what do you think of the idea of a reverse VRA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what do you think of the idea of a reverse VRA  (Read 670 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »

Here is my idea

For all the states that are gaining congressional seats, the new seat has to have the most population growth possible the past 10 years. For instance, in Georgia I made a new seat that takes in Forsyth, Cherokee, and eastern Gwinnett counties. The district grew about 50% from 2000.

In Texas the four new districts are as follows:

1. one that takes in all of Jodie Laubenberg's district, all of Ken Paxton's district, and 70% of Tan Parker's district (basically all of Rockwall County, everything in Collin County not in Plano, and the northern and western parts of Denton County.

2. A district that takes in all of Fort Bend county and southwestern Harris County

3. A district that takes in all of Montgomery County and northwestern Harris County

4. A district that takes in all of Williamson, Hays, Burnet, Blanco, and western Travis counties.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:34:07 PM »

Here is my idea

For all the states that are gaining congressional seats, the new seat has to have the most population growth possible the past 10 years. For instance, in Georgia I made a new seat that takes in Forsyth, Cherokee, and eastern Gwinnett counties. The district grew about 50% from 2000.
Since it is likely that same areas will continue to grow at a high rate, this will maximize the deviation in the future.  Thus it would be a deliberate effort to deny equal protection, and unconstitutional.

In Australia, reapportionment is done on a continuing basis, whenever a state is apportioned an additional seat or loses a seat. or whenever the deviation between district populations is too large.  They project future growth and deliberately draw smaller districts in those areas.  The idea is that population equality will be reached in a few years, and then the districts will cross over.  Districts that are initially low in population will grow to have more population towards the end of the period.

So in the US, it would better to use projected 2015 populations, and use the ACS to check whether districts are getting out of line or not.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:58:07 PM »

Here is my idea

In Texas the four new districts are as follows:

1. one that takes in all of Jodie Laubenberg's district, all of Ken Paxton's district, and 70% of Tan Parker's district (basically all of Rockwall County, everything in Collin County not in Plano, and the northern and western parts of Denton County.

2. A district that takes in all of Fort Bend county and southwestern Harris County

3. A district that takes in all of Montgomery County and northwestern Harris County

4. A district that takes in all of Williamson, Hays, Burnet, Blanco, and western Travis counties.

Why?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies