Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:30:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Man receives 25 years for insulting creators of stupid, unfunny show  (Read 27675 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
« edited: February 27, 2011, 07:43:14 PM by True Conservative »

Family Guy has great humor and I have never been offended by anything on it besides the episode where they attacked Christians.

You have no reason to be offended by that; you're an atheist.

False.

So what religion are you a part of?

Christianity.

Right.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You think that everything right-wing is "garbage". Roll Eyes

And you still haven't told us: even if South Park were a stupid/unfunny show, how does that excuse or justify this man's terrorism?[/quote]

If he got South Park to cease production it would do wonders for our culture. Just like getting Friedberg and Seltzer to quit making movies.
[/quote]

So? Again, it doesn't matter; he's still a terrorist.[/quote]

Hordes of your fellow Catholics love the IRA and would argue they aren't terrorists, so I'll take the same attitude toward this guy.
[/quote]

Wrong. First, you don't know what I think of the IRA, as I've never commented on it. Second, it doesn't excuse your opinion on South Park; if you think we're wrong over the IRA, then you should be condemning this man also. Unless, of course, you think the IRA is right after all.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »

No the IRA had a wrong cause. This man had a good cause.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 07:54:22 PM »

No the IRA had a wrong cause. This man had a good cause.

And you're still trying to get away from my question--are you saying that terrorism is a good thing when it comes to South Park?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »

Don't know if 25 years is appropriate, but this guy is quite a vile person. He gains no sympathy from me.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »

All I know is that Draw the Prophet Mohammed Day should be a national holiday.
...and South Park is better. I think the point of things like South Park and Family Guy is to just get a sense of humor and not be offended.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 08:24:56 PM »

Terrorism is wrong period, doesn't matter whether you like the show or not, stop wasting everyones time BTRD.

Btw, South Park is one of the best shows currently on TV, Family Guy is Crap
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:59 AM »

Yes, BRTD, it's against the law to be liberal and Christian.  The founding fathers wrote it in the Constitution after "one nation under God."
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »

I have never been offended by anything on it besides the episode where they attacked Christians. South Park offends me all the time with their right-wing garbage

Translation: Shows are only offensive if they attack BTRD's religion or don't conform to BTRD's political views Tongue   
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »

The Family Guy pop culture references and whatnot are used for jokes. In South Park you're basically expected to laugh just because they are there. Kind of like how Friedberg and Seltzer movies are like "HA HA, HERE'S A CHARACTER FROM ANOTHER MOVIE!". South Park is like "HA HA HERE'S ROB REINER AND HE'S FAT AND EATING UNHEALTHILY BUT HE PREACHES AGAINST SMOKING HE'S SUCH A HYPOCRITE! HA HA HA HA!" Family Guy makes actual jokes, even if they're cutaways, so it's a lot better than a stupid show completely devoid in humor.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »

The Family Guy pop culture references and whatnot are used for jokes. In South Park you're basically expected to laugh just because they are there. Kind of like how Friedberg and Seltzer movies are like "HA HA, HERE'S A CHARACTER FROM ANOTHER MOVIE!". South Park is like "HA HA HERE'S ROB REINER AND HE'S FAT AND EATING UNHEALTHILY BUT HE PREACHES AGAINST SMOKING HE'S SUCH A HYPOCRITE! HA HA HA HA!" Family Guy makes actual jokes, even if they're cutaways, so it's a lot better than a stupid show completely devoid in humor.

Haha, they broke the mold with you, BRTD.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 02:41:16 PM »

For example the subplot in the aforementioned offensive episode, where Stewie kidnaps the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation was a celebrity reference, but it was really funny and well-written and far superior to the main plot in that episode which was offensive, unfunny garbage, quite rare for Family Guy. Actually the main plot in that episode was very South Park-ish.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2011, 02:48:06 PM by IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble »

Haha, they broke the mold with you, BRTD.

The real funny thing is that he sounds almost exactly like Cartman from the South Park episodes about Family Guy, except in reverse.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/8173/South-Park-rips-Family-Guy/
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »

Guys, both of your shows are retarded.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »

And I can well understand why you might not like either of them. The difference between you and BRTD is that you don't think that making terrorist threats (or "insults" as BRTD likes to call them) against the creators of said shows is acceptable just because you don't like them.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »

And I can well understand why you might not like either of them. The difference between you and BRTD is that you don't think that making terrorist threats (or "insults" as BRTD likes to call them) against the creators of said shows is acceptable just because you don't like them.

That's the way BRTD is; if BRTD likes it, it should be supported by any means necessary, and if he doesn't, it should be abolished, by almost any means necessary (he's almost but not quite to opebo levels yet though).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 10:31:45 PM »

South Park is like "HA HA HERE'S ROB REINER AND HE'S FAT AND EATING UNHEALTHILY BUT HE PREACHES AGAINST SMOKING HE'S SUCH A HYPOCRITE! HA HA HA HA!"

This kind of disproves your own point, BRTD.  You, a non-fan of the show, remember Rob Reiner's appearance in context to an episode about Smoke Stoppers.

What happened in the rest of the episode before and after Sneakers O'Toole walked across the screen?

And I thought Sneakers O'Toole was funny, too, but I don't remember sh**t about the plot of the episode.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 12:25:58 AM »

South Park is like "HA HA HERE'S ROB REINER AND HE'S FAT AND EATING UNHEALTHILY BUT HE PREACHES AGAINST SMOKING HE'S SUCH A HYPOCRITE! HA HA HA HA!"

This kind of disproves your own point, BRTD.  You, a non-fan of the show, remember Rob Reiner's appearance in context to an episode about Smoke Stoppers.

What happened in the rest of the episode before and after Sneakers O'Toole walked across the screen?

And I thought Sneakers O'Toole was funny, too, but I don't remember sh**t about the plot of the episode.

Uh, that was the episode where they went to Texas because it was believed that Stewie was demoniacally possessed because he threw up communion wine.. It's even discussed in the bit around Sneakers O'Toole.

Chris: Where are we going?
Stewie: Who cares, as long as it's away from those bloody church fanatics.
Lois: We're going to Texas. We can stay at my sister Carol's place until this blows over.
Brian: Texas? We're going to Texas in search of religious tolerance? That's like trying to get Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off!
*Sneakers O'Toole clip plays*
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2011, 12:52:04 AM by Mr. Morden »

And people still ask how BRTD can be a fan of opebo?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 01:17:57 AM »

Uh, that was the episode where they went to Texas because it was believed that Stewie was demoniacally possessed because he threw up communion wine.. It's even discussed in the bit around Sneakers O'Toole.

Lois: We're going to Texas. We can stay at my sister Carol's place until this blows over.
Brian: Texas? We're going to Texas in search of religious tolerance? That's like trying to get Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off!

Yes and how many times have you watched that?

I doubt it took multiple viewings to sink in which episode the Rob Reiner joke of South Park occurred.  Hell, for saying South Park just references like Friedberg/Seltzer with no visible purpose, you also sure got the whole "Rob Reiner is hypocrite because he's fat" meaning without much effort.

South Park still has better story structure.  One problem I have with Family Guy (especially recent seasons) is that it spends about 20 minutes of its 22 minute running time building the plot, but the resolution is only about 30 seconds.  Like they could have this whole story line about Peter in an argument with Lois and then in two short sentences tacked on into the end, they make up.  Or Stewie will go on with some big plan about something for 20 min and Brian will ask Stewie "what happened with..." at the 21 minute mark and "oh I decided..." and it's over. They don't tell a funny story.  If they can't fit it all in their running time, I think it should be an hour long show.  The "Road to..."s and other specials are usually their best.

The only thing FG has on South Park is that it makes self-referential humor about itself.  Stewie making an "oh, I thought we were going to show a clip" after a one-liner.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 01:28:54 AM »

Yes and how many times have you watched that?

I doubt it took multiple viewings to sink in which episode the Rob Reiner joke of South Park occurred.  Hell, for saying South Park just references like Friedberg/Seltzer with no visible purpose, you also sure got the whole "Rob Reiner is hypocrite because he's fat" meaning without much effort.

But the Sneakers O'Toole gag is just as funny out of context. The anti-Rob Reiner stuff isn't all that funny in context and is just Anvilicious preaching.

South Park still has better story structure.  One problem I have with Family Guy (especially recent seasons) is that it spends about 20 minutes of its 22 minute running time building the plot, but the resolution is only about 30 seconds.  Like they could have this whole story line about Peter in an argument with Lois and then in two short sentences tacked on into the end, they make up.  Or Stewie will go on with some big plan about something for 20 min and Brian will ask Stewie "what happened with..." at the 21 minute mark and "oh I decided..." and it's over. They don't tell a funny story.  If they can't fit it all in their running time, I think it should be an hour long show.  The "Road to..."s and other specials are usually their best.

Uh, that's deliberate. It's called a Shaggy Dog Story.

South Park does that too anyway. They often act like there will be some big climax and then end it on a silly note. See the giant douche vs. turd sandwich episode, "Oh, now your vote didn't matter." The end. Roll credits.

The only thing FG has on South Park is that it makes self-referential humor about itself.  Stewie making an "oh, I thought we were going to show a clip" after a one-liner.

Yes and the cut-away gags are great too because they work out of context. It's similar to that show You Can't Do That On Television linked earlier today. The show was literally nothing more than a bunch of skits running together, and these were rarely more than 2 minutes, so it wasn't even like SNL. And it worked PERFECTLY.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 01:42:02 AM »

Yes, the cutaway gags work out of context.  But you are claiming that South Park is like Friedberg/Selzter, which is entirely movies of jokes that are totally out of context and don't advance the story.  If anything, Family Guy is Friedberg/Seltzer well-executed.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »

No the thing is in South Park there is no joke. You're basically expected to laugh because of the extremely simplistic caricature of Rob Reiner and ridiculously Anvilicious preaching. You know how all the tobacco employees were singing about how great of a job it is?

Family Guy does not rely on that and it's hardly Friedberg and Seltzer-ish. I mean look at Sneaker's O'Toole for example, that's not a pop culture reference at all.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »

No the thing is in South Park there is no joke. You're basically expected to laugh because of the extremely simplistic caricature of Rob Reiner and ridiculously Anvilicious preaching. You know how all the tobacco employees were singing about how great of a job it is?

Family Guy does not rely on that and it's hardly Friedberg and Seltzer-ish. I mean look at Sneaker's O'Toole for example, that's not a pop culture reference at all.

Yes, but Sneakers O'Toole is an exception not the rule.  South Park is still funny even if it doesn't follow a punchline style.  McFarlane and Judge don't use the punchline style in American Dad and King of the Hill either.  It's all encompassing jokes in those shows.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »

I should watch an episode, compile all the cutaway gags, and then determine which percentage are pop culture-related.
danny
Israel

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »

No it's not funny. It's just the same type of "humor" as the Seltzer and Friedberg movies. OMG CELEBRITY REFERENCE! OMG SOMETHING "OFFENSIVE" AND "SHOCKING"! Family Guy has great humor and I have never been offended by anything on it besides the episode where they attacked Christians. South Park offends me all the time with their right-wing garbage and just being stupid and unfunny.
Is saying something is right wing garbage your way of calling something you don't like? I watch South Park and while some times it supports the right wing position, plenty of times it goes against the right as well,like here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies