Should we have border security?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:42:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should we have border security?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Should we have border security?  (Read 11298 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:34:30 PM »

Recently I posted a government analysis in which it was acknowledged that the southern land border was not secured.  One of the posters on that thread suggested something to the effect that 'everyone knows that.'

So, the next question is, should we have border security.  In this context, two specific proposals, with survey results on public attitude.

So, do you agree with the public? 

Would you favor or oppose each of the following proposals: (RANDOM ORDER)

Favor Oppose No opinion

Building a 700 mile long fence on the border with Mexico

May 21-23, 2010         54%     45%        1%
May 4-6, 2007             45%     53%        2%

Putting more Border Patrol and federal law
enforcement agents on the U.S. border with Mexico

May 21-23, 2010         88%     12%        1%
October 20-22, 2006   74%     25%        1%

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/26/cnn-poll-support-for-border-crackdown-grows/
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »

Obviously we need some degree of border security, but if the only options are nothing and building another Iron Curtain, I'll go with nothing.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »

Obviously we need some degree of border security, but if the only options are nothing and building another Iron Curtain, I'll go with nothing.

Especially on the Canadian side where I totally favor an open border.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »

Nope. There should be no customs, nothing. 100% open borders.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »

We'd certainly have more success in dealing with illegal immigration if we tackled the internal issues that cause people to want to come here illegally.  We certainly could increase and should increase the amount of legal immigration we have.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »

An open border with Canada would be alright.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »

Nope. There should be no customs, nothing. 100% open borders.

Tell that to the families whose loved ones were murdered by illegals, who would of never been allowed to enter the US if they came through a airport/green card/legal immigration process. A Open Border with Canada is a great idea, but it might not work out well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »

You could also say "Tell that to all the people in Mexico who's families were murdered with American-sold and smuggled arms." but we all know Libertarians wouldn't care about that. Actually I don't really care either because Mexico's gun control laws are dumb anyway. And I really see no reason to not have an open border with Canada.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »

You could also say "Tell that to all the people in Mexico who's families were murdered with American-sold and smuggled arms." but we all know Libertarians wouldn't care about that. Actually I don't really care either because Mexico's gun control laws are dumb anyway. And I really see no reason to not have an open border with Canada.

On Mexico-Your right, I dont care. My country first, and then when we can help them, we will.

On Canada-There wont be alot of illegals (obivously), but drugs, and even terrorist could come in. We certainly can lax the border with Canada though.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »

Well. Aren't you a sick excuse for a human being.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:54 PM »

On Mexico-Your right, I dont care. My country first, and then when we can help them, we will.

Uh, that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. FYI the reverse is true as well, imagine all the kids who'd bring in cheap weed from Mexico. That is not a bad thing of course.

On Canada-There wont be alot of illegals (obivously), but drugs, and even terrorist could come in. We certainly can lax the border with Canada though.

1-Uh, you're a Libertarian and you care about drug smuggling?
2-Why would people smuggle drugs from Canada anyway? Sounds like it'd more likely to be the other way around.
3-Oh yes, we have a huge threat from Canadian terrorists. Canada is country full of and known for terrorists after all.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »

Where's the poll? Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »

2-Why would people smuggle drugs from Canada anyway? Sounds like it'd more likely to be the other way around.
3-Oh yes, we have a huge threat from Canadian terrorists. Canada is country full of and known for terrorists after all.

1. Not all Libertarians are the sam-Drugs are a state right.
2. Pills, mainly, not Cocaine, etc.
3. Terrorist simply go to Canada, from wherever, and come through. It will be a staging point.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »

1. Not all Libertarians are the sam-Drugs are a state right.
2. Pills, mainly, not Cocaine, etc.
3. Terrorist simply go to Canada, from wherever, and come through. It will be a staging point.

1-Fake Libertarian then.
2-Those are just as easy to get in the US.
3-Why not just come to the US directly? Canada is actually tougher at not letting people in, they barred George Galloway from entering the country for example. If I were a terrorist trying to get to the US from Saudi Arabia or Egypt or wherever I'd just go straight to the US.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »

Enforcement of marijuana laws are somewhat looser than in this country.  Still, Canadian weed is believed to make up only around 2 to 5% of the US supply.  However, if ever did get a non-porous border with Mexico, I'd expect that to rapidly change.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »

Enforcement of marijuana laws are somewhat looser than in this country.

Uh, non-enforcement is effectively official policy in several cities like Seattle, Boulder, Denver, Ann Arbor and probably the majority of California. And even in places where it's not it's frequently quite lax as well, I can pull up city attorney records that show the amount of people arrested for marijuana in Minneapolis annually is usually in the single digits. And the few that are are guilty of some other crime too.

Still, Canadian weed is believed to make up only around 2 to 5% of the US supply.  However, if ever did get a non-porous border with Mexico, I'd expect that to rapidly change.

We need more Canadian weed as the people producing it are far less likely to be murderers.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »

Still, Canadian weed is believed to make up only around 2 to 5% of the US supply.  However, if ever did get a non-porous border with Mexico, I'd expect that to rapidly change.

We need more Canadian weed as the people producing it are far less likely to be murderers.

Why not simply allow domestic production?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »

Well that'd be best. But that'd also make it a non-issue on the border. And getting it allowed somewhere is the tricky thing, though I guess it's only a few years before California will, 4% is a small enough gap for enough olds to die off in a few years.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »

Ha, this reminds me of CARLHAYDEN so much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-GGSRmJ0NY
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »

Canadian customs are unbelievably incompetent, so an open border wouldn't be a good thing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »

The absolutely tragic story of the old bass player of Lemuria is the main reason I support an open border with Canada.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »

Canadian customs are unbelievably incompetent, so an open border wouldn't be a good thing.

They don't even currently search you while entering (as long as you act cool, present a passport, and maybe a verifiable itinerary such as a hotel reservation), so I don't really see what difference it would make. The main benefit would be for Americans returning from Canada, not having to deal with idiotic and dickish customs agents. Say what you will about opebo, but he is 100% correct on his characterization of US customs officials.

And as Ernest mentioned, Canadian weed only accounts for like 5% of the US supply, and most "BC Bud" is probably located around the Seattle metro area. This leads to highly inflated marijuana prices throughout the Midwest USA (sometimes 2x expensive than EU levels and 1.5x more expensive than Southern Ontario). Ideally open borders would facilitate a drop in prices to like $45 per 3.5 grams in cities like Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and various Big Ten college towns.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:18 PM »

Both U.S. and Canadian passport control and customs are pretty unpleasent, in my experience.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »

Well, it seems pretty clear from the comments to date that most of the lefties here oppose border security.

Interestingly while there has been some comment on aliens illegally entering the country, and substabntial comment on illegal drugs entering the country, there has been absolutely no comment on terrorists illegally entering the country.

Note: I posted the data from ORC/CNN poll to illustrate just how far out of touch with the general public this forum has become.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »

Well, it seems pretty clear from the comments to date that most of the lefties here oppose border security.

Ernest, Franzl and I aren't lefties though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies