Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 08:55:51 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Ban jmfcst
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ban jmfcst  (Read 3440 times)
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:01:53 pm »
Ignore

Consider this honest-to-god begging, Nym. That poster contributes even less worthwhile debate than almost all of our previously-banned posters.

Just...please?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:10:50 pm by Dave Leip »Logged

In Wyoming, there are two seasons.
Winter and July.
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
Ignore

As much of a jerk as he can be, I can't say I agree with this assessment, especially in regards to some of the debates in the religion board. He provides a certain perspective on things there that does exist in no small amount in this country, so having someone like that to debate has some value.

He does cross lines sometimes though, and should be disciplined when that occurs.

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:23:26 pm »
Ignore

Ridiculous......I'd rather see you go.  jmfcst does just fine on the elections boards etc.....and he adds to the conversation.
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »
Ignore

He's one troll who has been doing the same act for like 7 or 8 years now. It's actually quite impressive! Tragically, his routine is both unfunny and unintelligent. Needless to say I rarely read his posts, and I'm honestly perplexed the same couple people get into "debates" with him over and over again. Doesn't that get boring?! Surely there are more entertaining ways to kill braincells.

Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:30:33 pm »
Ignore

Svensson, it's a faux pas to advocate banning someone who's been a part of this forum about 10x longer than you have.

SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:38:30 pm »
Ignore

Svensson, it's a faux pas to advocate banning someone who's been a part of this forum about 10x longer than you have.

Even when they haven't contributed anything at all in that entire time?

Winter and July.
Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:10:38 am »
Ignore

See, this is why you don't make judgments without knowing the facts. You look ignorant in the eyes of  your target audience (the moderators), whom all have far more empirical experience on this forum than you do. jmfcst was responsible for one of the more memorable threads of the 2008 election cycle, when he correctly postulated that Sarah Palin would be John McCain's running mate via analyzing flightpaths or something along those lines. Moreover, he, beet, rocket, sam spade, opebo, and CARLHAYDEN essentially make up the personality of the economics board.

If his religious posts annoy you, don't read them. I don't know how/why people read posts and threads that don't pique their interests regardless. I don't read jmf's religious posts either (mainly because he's made clear what he believes over the past decade and is probably just regurgitating the same message at this point), but it has no tangible effect on neither my nor your life if he continues to post biblical analysis. So just relax, drop the antagonism, and have some fun dude. You'll get a lot more out of this place if you do. Or continue to spend your life calling Zachary Nelson of Minneapolis, Minnesota a retard. It's up to you.

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:13:02 am »
Ignore

I think Jmfcst contributes to the forum. The biggest problem with him is really that he represents a minority opinion that a lot of people don't like, which leads to a lot of tension.

I think it would be kind of sad for a forum supposed to discuss American politics to not even have one representative of the religious right as a member.

Some of his posts have been offensive, but he gets trolled just as much in return as well.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:16:44 am »
Ignore

It boggles the mind that people consider it reasonable or acceptable to advocate banning of jmfcst.  How is the man 'trolling'?  He's presenting his honest political positons and opinions - just as I do.  To call such positions 'trolling' is just to disallow certain opinions.  Svensson should be banned for this trolling thread.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:47:35 pm »
Ignore

It boggles the mind that people consider it reasonable or acceptable to advocate banning of jmfcst.  How is the man 'trolling'?  He's presenting his honest political positons and opinions - just as I do.  To call such positions 'trolling' is just to disallow certain opinions.  Svensson should be banned for this trolling thread.

That's funny, coming from someone who gets off on the idea of killing people who disagree with him. I'd think you'd be the type to advocate putting him in the gas chamber for even suggesting conservative ideas.

Then again, it may just be likeness. I mean, you both contribute about the same amount of worthwhile debate to this forum.

Oh, and just as an addendum, I care less and less every day if I get banned, mainly because of you and your fanclub destroying every thread you post in. I think of banning as just a bit more free time in my life.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:51:32 pm by SvenssonRS »Logged

Winter and July.
Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 03:44:16 am »
Ignore

Oh, and just as an addendum, I care less and less every day if I get banned, mainly because of you and your fanclub destroying every thread you post in. I think of banning as just a bit more free time in my life.

I don't know what makes you take everything so seriously, but it's getting ridiculous. If you really can't bear thos damn librul hacks, why can't you just put them on ignore ? Personally, if I were ignoring some users, you'd probably be on my list, because you are annoying as hell.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 03:49:07 am »
Ignore

I don't know what makes you take everything so seriously, but it's getting ridiculous. If you really can't bear thos damn librul hacks, why can't you just put them on ignore ?

It's mostly the fact that most of the people I have on ignore are like train wrecks - their posts are so bad, I can't help but look. Because I'm a gullible little s**t.

Winter and July.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 04:23:48 am »
Ignore

That's funny, coming from someone who gets off on the idea of killing people who disagree with him. I'd think you'd be the type to advocate putting him in the gas chamber for even suggesting conservative ideas.

I don't 'get off on the idea', I consider it a necessary step for survival in many political situations.  If its either a violent Gaddafi/Mubarak/whomever or the Bearded Men, I think it is worth pointing out the positives and negatives of each side, and considering all the options, rather than just favoring the latter because there are a lot of them and disfavoring the former because he happens to be in a palace.

This forum is entirely different from real life - it is the internet.  The only purpose is chit-chat, and it has no effect on anything outside of the forum.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:41:09 pm »
Ignore

Please go away, Swenson.
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »
Ignore

It boggles the mind that people consider it reasonable or acceptable to advocate banning of jmfcst.  How is the man 'trolling'?  He's presenting his honest political positons and opinions - just as I do.  To call such positions 'trolling' is just to disallow certain opinions.  Svensson should be banned for this trolling thread.

Then again, it may just be likeness. I mean, you both contribute about the same amount of worthwhile debate to this forum.

Jesus Christ Sven, settle down.

Why do you take guys like opebo (who in my opinion is obviously playing an exaggerated persona to get a rise out of people), BRTD (same thing), and Jmfcst (a religious freak, but his advocation of religion isn't being forced at the point of a gun so no worries) seriously?
I did at one point take BRTD seriously, for like five minutes, before I realized it would be better if I take everything he said with sarcastic interest instead of outright antagonism.
And secondly, and I'm sorry if you take this personally but I think it's massive hypocrisy when one cries about how unfair the moderating system is and then goes to the Atlas board begging for another poster to be banned because in his eyes the other poster is "useless" and you don't like what they say.  If you don't f***ing like what they have to say it's all on you buddy, you had the opportunity to ignore them but you didn't.  And if you come here asking that Dave ban a poster because it is hard for you to look away at their disagreeable posts well, you aren't getting any more sympathy from me.
That isn't to say that I think the moderators do a perfect job, I have my disagreements with them but you aren't winning any damn sympathy when you come on here begging for other people to be banned while screaming about how persecuted you are.

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 01:32:31 pm »
Ignore

For the record Sven, I don't think any less of you as a person for making this thread.  I'm just disappointed with how you are letting people you disagree with piss you off as much as they apparently do.

Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 01:35:05 pm »
Ignore

I honestly fail to understand how Svensson can take this place seriously enough to get furious each time someone says somehting he doesn't like. And I say that as someone who takes things rather seriously. He seems far too affected by other people's behaviour and in some way that makes me feel sad for him. Guy, really, this is a forum. If there is people you don't like, why don't you just laugh at them instead of calling for their execution ? Not everything you don't like ought to be outlawed.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 12:09:13 am »
Ignore

Consider this honest-to-god begging, Nym. That freak contributes even less worthwhile debate than almost all of our previously-banned posters.

Just...please?

I told you to tell them you was in a sanitarium, not sanitation.  I told you to say you had TB
and you was in a sanitarium.  You was cured.  You should've kept your mouth shut.  They'd think you was a horse and let you out.

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 05:47:24 pm »
Ignore

Consider this honest-to-god begging, Nym. That freak contributes even less worthwhile debate than almost all of our previously-banned posters.

Just...please?

could SvenssonRS's request to be banned (can't find that thread so I picked this one) be considered a form of D.O.R., like in the movie An Officer and A Gentleman?

that would make SvenssonRS this guy:

...and Nym would be:

You see this cane, SvenssonRS?

See the notches near the handle?

There's a notch for every college
puke like you that I got to DOR.

That's Drop On Request
from this program.

The first one I'm going to carve
out of this class is you, SvenssonRS.

I expect to lose half of you
before I'm finished.

I will use every means
necessary, fair and unfair,

to trip you up, to expose your
weaknesses as a potential poster

and as a human being, understand?

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

Lettuce Gay Bacon and Tomato
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 06:49:38 pm »
Ignore

He's grandfathered in like BRTD and opebo. He's been here so long he won't get banned.

Convincing BRTD to drop the Sneakers O'Toole BS is like convincing Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off.

(I realize I'm probably just further encouraging him by saying that, and for this I apologize.)
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 07:27:05 pm »
Ignore

It boggles the mind that people consider it reasonable or acceptable to advocate banning of jmfcst.  How is the man 'trolling'?  He's presenting his honest political positons and opinions - just as I do.  To call such positions 'trolling' is just to disallow certain opinions.  Svensson should be banned for this trolling thread.

Except for the last line, I agree with Opebo.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 07:29:52 pm »
Ignore

Except for the last line, I agree with Opebo.

It demonstrates clearly why both Opebo and jmfcst both haven't grasped why some of their posts have been moderated. They believe they are being infracted for reasons other than the real reason as to why they are being infracted; because they are violating the Terms of Service.

Lunar
Moderators
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 08:37:01 pm »
Ignore

It has to do with how graphic it is, not the general concept of a death.  Severed heads counts as graphic.  The specific rule that you violated in the Terms Of Service is my interpretation of the prohibition against "obscene" postings.  This board is not the right place to discuss moderation policies, however.  If you have questions regarding this, please take it elsewhere.

dude, I was just asking a general question, I wasnt planning to take you to forum court.  I understand the images of beheadings are disturbing and the acts themselves are obscene, but those images are revealant to the topic being discussed.  What are we going to do, burn all the holocaust films and pretend it never happened?  Are you aware that that is precisely why the American generals ordered that those pictures be taken, even though the acts were hideous?  Those generals understood the danger of NOT showing the pics, that the world would brush it under the rug and allow it to happen again

Let me respond to your post here, because I don't like to discuss my moderation policy on my board and I know that you're reading this:

I don't care what gigantic point you're trying to convey.  There are plenty of blogs that use shocking images to demonstrate profound political points, including blogs I read and enjoy, but this isn't the place for that and it never has been.  

There are plenty of places, even classrooms, where you're allowed to use profanity inside of an exact quotation of a historical figure too, but that's still not allowed here.  There are also educational settings where nudity in certain contexts is permitted.  But that's not allowed here.  This is a family-friendly forum and that filter applies before the substantive merit of your posts is even evaluated.

I would infract you if you started posting graphic Holocaust images as well.   Several moderators feel I was overly lenient on you to only give 4 points, and in retrospection, I probably was.

These cyclical "episodes" are rather frustrating.

this is real
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:37 pm »
Ignore

lunar, I don't know why ur getting bent out of shape over this, I already stated I understood you finding it a voilation, but to equate to profanity or porn as you just did is a bit over the top since what I posted has been presented in MSM while porn and foul language is not...so not allowing graphic material is one thing, but it can not honestly be compared with the likes of climbing down in the gutter and using porn or foul language

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 12:12:49 am »
Ignore

I don't have much time for jmfcst's religious views.... I don't like moral absolutism from anyone...

But when not talking about religion he usually has some interesting things to say... so I wouldn't support attempts to remove him.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout