houston area districts in 1980s
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:03:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  houston area districts in 1980s
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: houston area districts in 1980s  (Read 1038 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »

back then I believe there was CD 25, CD 8, and CD 18. What did they look like then?

My guess is that CD 18 is similar to CD 18 of today only it was smaller in size and not so grotesque looking. CD 25 I'm thinking had a lot in common with the present CD 9. I also think CD 8 had a lot of area currently in CD 29, although the harris portion of Poe's district I think was in it. I believe in 91 they took out all the dem parts of CD 8 to form CD 29 and took Fields' home in Humble and glued it to ultrarepublican areas of Montgomery county and collie station.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »

jimrtex linked to this site a while ago, it has everything you need.

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/redist/historical_congress.htm
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »

The main reason that TX-18 and TX-29 were so grotesque is that they were trying to keep TX-25 as a Democratic district when they added TX-29.

TX-25 was created in 1982, and that was its closest race during the decade (60:37), and the Republicans did not even contest it in 1986 and 1990.

Ordinarily TX-25 would have moved south to make room for TX-29, but that would have made TX-25 vulnerable to flipping, just like TX-22 had flipped.  TX-22 had been similar to TX-25, but had pushed southward in 1972, when TX-18 was moved from the panhandle to Houston.  At that time TX-22 was extended into Fort Bend and Brazoria county.  When the longtime incumbent retired in 1976, Ron Paul won the special election.  He lost in the general in 1976, but came back in 1978.  His wins in 1978 and 1980 were extremely narrow.

When TX-25 was created, TX-22 retained the strongest Republican areas in Harris County.  Notices the finger coming into west Harris and also the swath across southeast Harris County in the 1982 maps.  This not only took out Republican voters from TX-25, it took out potential bases for Republican candidates in TX-22.  Paul had been re-elected in 1980 by a 51:48 margin, and in 1982 was unopposed.

The winner in TX-25 in 1982, Mike Andrews, had lost to Ron Paul in TX-22 in 1980.  In 1992, TX-25 was intricately drawn to make room for TX-29, but not go too far south.  Andrews who had been unopposed in 1990, won by 56-42 in 1992.  IOW, it had been kept Democratic by making it cling to both TX-18 and TX-29, and carefully carving out areas in SW Houston and SE Harris County.  It had enough black voters to make sure the Democrats won the general election but not enough so a Black could win the primary.

After the 1996 Bush v Vera decision the interior boundary of TX-25 was straightened out, but at least some of the intricate boundaries with TX-22 in SW Houston and SE Harris County were retained.  These were legally OK because they were politically motivated (see the 1996 boundaries for TX-6 in the FWDfDwF area for a similar case while making TX-30 neat.

In the 1996 special open primary in TX-25, Democrats barely had a majority, but Ken Bentsen won in the special runoff in December.

In 2002, the court ordered version of TX-25 was more convoluted than the 1996 version (while they did clean up TX-6 in the DFW area).  The district court decision specifically said that though the judges were sympathetic to Morris Overstreet's arguments for a black-majority district in SW Houston, that as a federal judiciary they did not have the power to legislate.  They could only preserve the political gerrymander of the 1990s while making the district lines cleaner.  In this the case, the Texas legislature listened and drew such a district in 2003.

The NAACP brief in the remedy phase of LULAC v Perry was pretty interesting.  They really didn't care what happened in the area that the trial was concerned with in south Texas; so they complained about the dismantling of former congressman Frost's district in the DFW, and if you read between the lines, the part about the Houston reads: "Happy Dance".
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2011, 10:45:06 PM by freepcrusher »

in the 80s, what was in TX 25? Because, based on the map it looks like Deer Park, La Porte, Clear Lake, NASA area (all very republican areas) were all in the district. If those neighborhoods/towns were in that district, i'm surprised a democrat was able to hold it.

Also in the 1980s map, the part of Texas 22 that "fingers" into Harris County looks like the Alief area, which is strongly democratic. So I don't think it was an attempt to remove gop voters from the 25th district.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:33:35 AM »

in the 80s, what was in TX 25? Because, based on the map it looks like Deer Park, La Porte, Clear Lake, NASA area (all very republican areas) were all in the district. If those neighborhoods/towns were in that district, i'm surprised a democrat was able to hold it.

Also in the 1980s map, the part of Texas 22 that "fingers" into Harris County looks like the Alief area, which is strongly democratic. So I don't think it was an attempt to remove gop voters from the 25th district.
Alief would not have been much whiter then, and besides Alief is further west, so it would have been mostly in TX-7.  The finger comes in to West U and Bellaire, and areas along the SW Freeway which would have also been whiter then.

TX-9 takes in Clear Lake and NASA so Jack Brooks could get funding.  TX-25 is further north in the 1980s (compare the 1980s to the 1990s map, and see the big area to the south of downtown that was moved into TX-18.  Deer Park and La Porte are working class, though perhaps higher paying because they would be refinery jobs, they would also tend to be more unionized.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies