Bannock County, ID
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:22:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Bannock County, ID
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bannock County, ID  (Read 1935 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »

What's up with this county? It seems to be somewhat of an anomaly in how unusually Democratic is it (in Idaho standards). It is in no way a Democratic stronghold like Blaine County, or one of the other top-tier Democratic-leaning counties like Teton and Latah, but it does seem to be one of the most Democratic friendly counties in Eastern Idaho. Here are some recent election results in Bannock County.

Governor - 2010
Butch Otter (R) 48.01
Keith Allred (D) 45.06
Jana M. Kemp (I) 4.83

President - 2008
John McCain (R) 54.62
Barack Obama (D) 41.74
Ralph Nader (I) 1.37

Governor - 2006
Jerry Brady (D) 52.72
Butch Otter (R) 43.30

In the heavily GOP-dominated Idaho state legislature, Bannock County is completed represented by Democrats.

Idaho House
District 30: Roy Lacey (D-Pocatello)
Elaine Smith (D-Pocatello)

Idaho Senate
District 29: Diane Bilyeu (D-Pocatello)
District 30: Edgar Malepeai (D-Pocatello)

Analyzing the county even more, I found this on the Wikipedia page, which may explain it:

Like other Eastern Idaho counties, Bannock County has a significant Mormon population which strongly tends to vote Republican. However, a substantial trade union presence in the county - as well as the Idaho State University community - often gives Democrats an overall advantage, especially in local races. Bannock County routinely elects more Democrats than Republicans to county-level offices. The last Democratic candidate for President to win the county was Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964, although subsequent Republican victories have been by smaller margins than those in neighboring counties.

Any Idaho residents on here familiar with the politics of Pocatello/Bannock County to give us some home-field insight into why this county is so unlike the other staunchly red counties it borders?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:39:32 PM »

That whole circle of the country seems to be like that. It's very near Teton County, Wyoming, which is an anomaly by the state's standard's in that it's liberal central.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:42:28 PM »

I think the bit about trade unions and Idaho State about sums up why Democrats run well there.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:08:02 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2011, 12:09:54 AM by Verily »

I would assume it's a lot like Salt Lake County or the smaller Grand and Carbon Counties. Once you're in Mormon country, every single non-Mormon votes Democratic, and Bannock has a lot of non-Mormons.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:04:45 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2011, 02:09:55 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

It's all about its working class nature and unionism. The university is the main reason why Democrats haven't completely collapsed in the county since the passage of Right to Work laws and the death of Idaho's union tradition. Even still I'd expect that it'd be slightly more Democratic than the surrounding counties.

The main reason why Allred did so well in Bannock County has to do with his Mormonism and his southern Idaho origins.

Other fun fact: Idaho Mormons are the most Republican of Mormons and have been stalwart GOPers since the early 1900s. Until fairly recently they have had near total domination within the Republican Party here.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:18:13 AM »

Governor - 2010
Butch Otter (R) 48.01
Keith Allred (D) 45.06
Jana M. Kemp (I) 4.83

President - 2008
John McCain (R) 54.62
Barack Obama (D) 41.74
Ralph Nader (I) 1.37

Governor - 2006
Jerry Brady (D) 52.72
Butch Otter (R) 43.30

Use the right colors please.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »

That whole circle of the country seems to be like that. It's very near Teton County, Wyoming, which is an anomaly by the state's standard's in that it's liberal central.

Counties directly surrounding Bannock voted McCain with anywhere from 61 to 84%. And the whole of eastern Idaho save Teton is the most solidly Republican area in the state.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »

Bannock County, ID is nothing like Teton County, WY. Teton County, ID and especially Blaine County, ID are, but not Bannock. Bannock is more like Shoshone County, ID plus Mormons.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »

Eh, EMD mostly covered it. A old union county that has some lingering remnants of the Democratic Party thanks to Idaho State University. Locally, the area was dominated by Democrats until the mid-90s, IIRC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies