State Legislature Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:32:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  State Legislature Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Legislature Redistricting  (Read 31855 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: May 23, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »

On the upside, the districts, effectively, won't last ten years. When Illinois inevitably goes into receivership,  Court appointed overseers, not legislators, will run the show.

Aside from anything else, lease cite the lawe that would allow this to happen (that is that courts may appoint overseers instead of state legislators and that such legislators would have the power to draw districts) Smiley)))
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »

You missed my point. After the overseers take charge, it won't matter whether tweedle-dee or tweedle-are wins any particular seat. Voters will choice legislators, and the overseer will set policy.

And now find a law that would allow appointment of such an overseer. It's not a municipality - it's a state. It can go bankrupt, but it is still a state - it's sovereign. You may lock it out of the financial markets, but you can't strip the legislature and the governor of their constitutional powers.

Anyway, any reason to believe Illinois goes bankrupt before, say Texas? Arguably, IL is more willing to tax to pay it off - and that's, in the end, what determines whether state debts get paid. Honestly, I'd be more scared if I held TX debt these days.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:28:48 PM »

I would find it amazing if all 49 other states didn't file briefs concerning the "political question"

I would find it a lot more amazing if the other 49 states AND the federal government wouldn't side w/ the state of Illinois Smiley)

Not to say that I believe an actual default by the state is likely - at least by a state that has amply demonstrated political willingness to raise taxes. I would, honestly, be a lot more concerned about, say, the state of Texas Smiley)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »

According to NYT, his aides are already saying he will.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »

Well, I don't think it's a question that the bill would pass the state Senate: very likely it would. The issue is, whether the Assembley desides to go along (not impossible) and whether Cuomo would veto it - quite likely. There is no way they override a veto, so how this or that senator votes is not of much interest for anyone other than political junkies like ourselves. The issue is, what will Cuomo do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies