State Legislature Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:45:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  State Legislature Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: State Legislature Redistricting  (Read 31876 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 04, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »

If you look at the map, districts 23, 24, 16, and 15 could have all been drawn to not split counties like that.

I know you know this and also we agree this map is quite the Dem gerrymander in places... do you think it matters if they split counties or not, since county government is relatively weak? It could be even more democratic this way because it keeps the county organizations in competition with each other rather than have a single county party anoint its representative for the race, as happens so often.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »

I won't disagree with the assessment that attaching South Brunswick to Hunterdon County is a gerrymander. (I picked my current avatar a few weeks ago for a reason...)

The commission set-up does appear to be a game theory test case for how not to get the results you seek. The optimum strategy is to design the maximal gerrymander you can achieve that is still less gerrymandered than the other party's, not to achieve a compromise map.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »

I wonder if people who consider Obama's visit to the IOC a massive failure will say the same about Chris Christie's attempt to personally lobby Rosenthal into choosing the R gerrymander over the D gerrymander.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:23:27 AM »

Is it reasonable to say you can guess which districts favor Democrats based on underweighting or overweighting by population?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »

Ah, such memories of Free Republic in December 2000.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies