Opinion of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:35:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Opinion of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk?  (Read 4540 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »

My understanding is that he was always deeply respectful of the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought there.

He was very respectful to foreign soldiers.  He actually gave a speech saying that those who died at Gallipoli are buried on friendly soil.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 06:57:55 PM »

Probably one of the best dictators in the 20th century...his politics were actually progressive, instead of simply being less of a dangerous retard than the next man.

Actually I think there's evidence that personally he was far classier than most leaders of the 20th century, dictator or not. Consider the fact that he renamed one of the sites on the Gallipoli peninsula "ANZAC Cove" in honor of the dead Australian and New Zealand soldiers who were defeated by his forces in WWI there, and that part of his speech on the battle ended up on the AUSTRALIAN monument to the dead.

My understanding is that he was always deeply respectful of the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought there.

Between that, plus his liberalisation/secularisation of what had been a theocratic regime, I think overall FF. I'm sure he has plenty of negatives, and perhaps I haven't researched him enough to have a most-informed opinion, but I have favourable opinion of him.

That's my view also, and here is the speech.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »

Yeah that's the one I'm referring to. Supposedly part of it is on the Australian monument to the dead there.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

Probably one of the best dictators in the 20th century...his politics were actually progressive, instead of simply being less of a dangerous retard than the next man.

Actually I think there's evidence that personally he was far classier than most leaders of the 20th century, dictator or not. Consider the fact that he renamed one of the sites on the Gallipoli peninsula "ANZAC Cove" in honor of the dead Australian and New Zealand soldiers who were defeated by his forces in WWI there, and that part of his speech on the battle ended up on the AUSTRALIAN monument to the dead.

Between that, plus his liberalisation/secularisation of what had been a theocratic regime, I think overall FF. I'm sure he has plenty of negatives, and perhaps I haven't researched him enough to have a most-informed opinion, but I have favourable opinion of him.

That's my view also, and here is the speech.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Those are perhaps the most magnanimous words ever said by any leader anywhere.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 08:28:51 PM »

It also forms part of the Ataturk memorial at the top of Anzac Parade in Canberra.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies