Same old, same old
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:07:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Same old, same old
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Same old, same old  (Read 1085 times)
Whacker77

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2004, 08:40:46 PM »

Well, I'm back.  Most if not all never noticed I was gone.  Fortunately for me, I spent the last week on a cruise.  The internet was available, but I only chose to check my emails.  I didn't hear about looney tune Ohio recount stories for nine days.  It was great.

The only television I had available was CNN International.  I heard a lot about the Ukraine, but not Ohio.  Needless to say, my interest was high when I returned home tonight.  To my surprise nothing has changed.  The provisionals are being counted and it's just about a wash.  Go figure.

The only thing I found of note was from Keith Olberman.  The poor guy has gone off the deep end.  He gave credance to a crazy conspiracy involving Homeland Security and Saudi money.  Now, it appears there may not even be a recount.  Apparently, the ten dollars is just a down payment for the total recount costs.  The counties don't even have to go along with it.

The last week was great.  After a long election campaign, I suggest everyone take a week away from the story.  You'll be surprised how important it seems after the week or ten days is up.
Andrew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 06:44:34 PM »

Now, it appears there may not even be a recount.  Apparently, the ten dollars is just a down payment for the total recount costs.

Nonsense.  From the Ohio Revised Code:

§ 3515.07. Charges for recount.

The charges for making a recount of votes of precincts listed in an application for a recount filed with the board of elections shall be fixed by the board and shall include all expenses incurred by such board because of such application other than the regular operating expenses which the board would have incurred if the application had not been filed. The total amount of charges so fixed divided by the number of precincts listed in such application, the votes of which were recounted, shall be the charge per precinct for the recount of the votes of the precincts listed in such application, the votes of which were recounted; provided that the charges per precinct so fixed shall not be more than ten nor less than five dollars for each precinct the votes of which were recounted.

This is me:  So the $10 per precinct is the maximum charge.  In fact, if Badnarik or Cobb improves by 4% in any precinct, they will get the money for that precinct refunded:

§ 3515.07 (continued)

Such charge per precinct shall be deducted by the board from the money deposited with the board by the applicant for the recount at the time of filing his application, and the balance of the money so deposited shall be returned to such applicant; provided that no such charge per precinct shall be deducted by the board from the money deposited for a recount of votes cast for a nomination or for an election to an office or position in any precinct, if the total number of votes cast in such precinct for the applicant, as recorded by such recount, is more than four per cent larger than the number of votes for such applicant in such precinct recorded in the original certified abstract thereof, nor shall any charge per precinct be deducted for a recount of votes cast in any precinct upon a question or issue if the total number of votes in such precinct on the same side of such question or issue as the side represented by the applicant, as recorded by such recount, is more than four per cent larger than the number of votes in such precinct on the same side of such question or issue recorded in the original certified abstract thereof. No such charge per precinct shall be deducted if upon the completion of a recount concerning a nomination or election the applicant is declared nominated or elected, or if upon the completion of a recount concerning a question or issue the result of such election is declared to be opposite to the original declaration of the result of such election. All moneys deposited with a board by an applicant shall be deposited in a special depository fund with the county treasurer. The expenses of the recount and refunds shall be paid from said fund upon order of the board of elections. Any balance remaining in such fund shall be paid into the general fund of the county.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also nonsense:

§ 3515.03. Application for recount or declaration of close election; witnesses; request to stop.

Upon the filing of an application . . . the board shall promptly fix the time, method, and the place at which the recount will be made, which time shall be not later than ten days after the day upon which such application is filed or such declaration is made.

Me again:  "Shall," not "may."  There will be a recount.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies