MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating)  (Read 3719 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: A-Bob
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:30:54 AM »

I for one don't like Section 4.  That'll be one thing I think definitely needs amending.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:48:40 AM »

We shouldn't be disincentivising teachers taking on jobs with more academically challenged students.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »

We shouldn't be disincentivising teachers taking on jobs with more academically challenged students.

I completely agree. Until the section on basing salary on test scores is removed, I strongly urge the Assembly to vote down this legislation.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »

I for one don't like Section 4.  That'll be one thing I think definitely needs amending.

I was just considering how to judge teachers fairly on preformance for say a language or music teacher. Our new Colorado bill ties all teachers in with our overall state testing scores which makes no sense, especially for teachers that have nothing to do with the core subjects, or even judged in english when they teach geometry and statistics.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:34:10 AM »

I completely agree. Until the section on basing salary on test scores is removed, I strongly urge the Assembly to vote down this legislation.

As previously posted, this legislation is not moving to some quick vote
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »

I was just considering how to judge teachers fairly on preformance for say a language or music teacher. Our new Colorado bill ties all teachers in with our overall state testing scores which makes no sense, especially for teachers that have nothing to do with the core subjects, or even judged in english when they teach geometry and statistics.

I realize that.  But then limiting pay for non-testable teachers is unfair as well and discourages entry into that field.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »

I realize that.  But then limiting pay for non-testable teachers is unfair as well and discourages entry into that field.

Agreed. It needs to be cut out.

I would also be grateful if anyone has the figures for average starting salary for teachers at the present.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:09:43 PM »

While I'm all for increasing teacher salaries to ensure quality candidates, isn't this a rather top down structure to determine teacher salaries throughout a wide and varied region? As long as we're ensuring adequate minimum salaries for teachers in impoverished areas with small tax bases, shouldn't salaries be left to individual districts?

At least that's what I think a conservative would say. Wink
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »

I actually agree with Badger (somewhat).  I've always been a fan of local control when it comes to schools.  I think there need to be some guidelines, and perhaps some provisions on what we'll do if a local school district isn't doing a good job, but for the most part, local school districts are going to know what's working and what isn't.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:06:35 PM »

The average overall is 40-43k with the higher end being high school.

http://teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state

As you can see my starting salary is much higher than the average, certainly over 30k! (unless you're in North Dakota where that's decent) in order to encourage people to go into teaching.

Also if you guys have a better idea to get rid of just plan bad teachers, it's fine by me, but I don't want anyone holding our students back because they are just plain bad, whether they can't teach well, or don't know the curriculum. Just like any real world company or organization, there had people who are bad at their job as teachers, and we need to replace them if they strain the system.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:14:50 AM »

I'm a little worried that teachers would have no incentive to teach underperforming students. On this scale, a teacher would make less if their students' test scores are lower, but there is only so much he/she can control. It's really difficult to objectively grade teacher performance, and it opens up the system to unnecessary controversy or bureaucracy, depending on the path we choose to take.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:35 AM »

I'm a little worried that teachers would have no incentive to teach underperforming students. On this scale, a teacher would make less if their students' test scores are lower, but there is only so much he/she can control. It's really difficult to objectively grade teacher performance, and it opens up the system to unnecessary controversy or bureaucracy, depending on the path we choose to take.

Agreed. Schools are target driven enough as it is, but many students have low test scores for a variety of reasons. (and not through lack of interest or effort) I must also say as someone born into a teaching family and aware of many of the pressures that they face, that often the root cause of poor discipline, low motivation and other factors begin at home over which a teacher cannot have any control. Local school districts are better placed to manage this; for example some urban areas may have a higher % of kids who essentially act as primary carers which would effect their attendance and concentration.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 09:24:14 AM »

Agreed. Schools are target driven enough as it is, but many students have low test scores for a variety of reasons. (and not through lack of interest or effort) I must also say as someone born into a teaching family and aware of many of the pressures that they face, that often the root cause of poor discipline, low motivation and other factors begin at home over which a teacher cannot have any control. Local school districts are better placed to manage this; for example some urban areas may have a higher % of kids who essentially act as primary carers which would effect their attendance and concentration.

Also agreed for the above mentioned points. Standardized testing has its uses, but we need to be encouraging more qualified teachers to work in underperforming districts, not the opposite.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

This would hurt arts programs and not incentivize those good arts teachers as well.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »

That's the dilemma with this. How do we find ways to get rid of bad teachers (and make sure they're actually bad) while making sure we still have good teachers in bad districts.

Even if we don't tie regional testing to teacher pay, I still think we should use it in order to compare districts, see which ones struggle in what areas so we can work on solutions to getting their scores up in certain (maybe even all) areas.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:55 PM »

Replacing bad teachers with good teachers is something that we need to enable schools to do. That is not quite the same as basing teacher pay on some measure of performance. 
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 09:23:40 PM »

Replacing bad teachers with good teachers is something that we need to enable schools to do. That is not quite the same as basing teacher pay on some measure of performance. 

It's still a step by awarding the best teachers that really produce amazing results and are committed to the kids. Shouldn't they get the highest pay?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »

It's still a step by awarding the best teachers that really produce amazing results and are committed to the kids. Shouldn't they get the highest pay?

We can aim for that, we just need to recognize there is no surefire way to make sure we know who those teachers are, and any decent system for estimating this is going to require a lot of time and resources with administration at the local level by people who are familiar with each school.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:39 PM »

We can aim for that, we just need to recognize there is no surefire way to make sure we know who those teachers are, and any decent system for estimating this is going to require a lot of time and resources with administration at the local level by people who are familiar with each school.

I agree, but we have to try. I was thinking an alternative could be some evaluation of the teacher where the administration, students, and teachers are interviewed on a specific teacher, they can also look at regional test results, look at the group of kids they had, and bring that all in to perspective. The only downside is a huge chance for corruption  and/or the ability for just a few people to control a teacher's salary or maybe even their job (if of course what the evaluation says doesn't seem right)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 11:32:02 PM »

I think first and foremost, we need to make sure that we have good teachers and are getting rid of the bad ones.  But that shouldn't be done by the regional government.  Local administrators can do that best.  We just need to ensure that overall that's what's going on.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 11:58:48 PM »

I think first and foremost, we need to make sure that we have good teachers and are getting rid of the bad ones.  But that shouldn't be done by the regional government.  Local administrators can do that best.  We just need to ensure that overall that's what's going on.

Yes, I agree, those decisions are best made case by case at the local level - as long as we do not have tenure/seniority or other policies that are getting in the way.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 12:08:40 AM »

I agree with shua and Inks in that it is in the local government's jurisdiction to determine the quality of the teachers.

On another note, I am in favor of instituting a region-wide system implementing "combat pay," where teachers in high-risk, historically low-result neighborhoods are paid more in an attempt to correct the system.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 06:29:41 AM »

I agree with shua and Inks in that it is in the local government's jurisdiction to determine the quality of the teachers.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »

On another note, I am in favor of instituting a region-wide system implementing "combat pay," where teachers in high-risk, historically low-result neighborhoods are paid more in an attempt to correct the system.

Great idea
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies