MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:16:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating)  (Read 3722 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »

Having a parent who teaches in Pontiac, I can tell you that while basing salary on test scores is nice, there are first off, some students that refuse to be taught, and second off, people mentally handicapped. There are several students whose mother took drugs during the nine months of pregnancy and that has left negative affects on the child.

Also, it might encourage teachers to lower standards on certain assignments. I'm not saying it will happen, but it may be a possibility.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 07:08:23 PM »

Also, it might encourage teachers to lower standards on certain assignments. I'm not saying it will happen, but it may be a possibility.

I don't think it is the regional government's place to legislate specific assignments or the expectations of specific teachers.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »

I agree with shua and Inks in that it is in the local government's jurisdiction to determine the quality of the teachers.

On another note, I am in favor of instituting a region-wide system implementing "combat pay," where teachers in high-risk, historically low-result neighborhoods are paid more in an attempt to correct the system.

Great idea

Mega-great! Maybe it ould involve paying off regional student loans the teachers accumulated while getting their own education (assuming the Mideast issues such loans).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »

I agree with shua and Inks in that it is in the local government's jurisdiction to determine the quality of the teachers.

On another note, I am in favor of instituting a region-wide system implementing "combat pay," where teachers in high-risk, historically low-result neighborhoods are paid more in an attempt to correct the system.

Great idea

Mega-great! Maybe it ould involve paying off regional student loans the teachers accumulated while getting their own education (assuming the Mideast issues such loans).

Even better, encouraing the younger energetic teachers to push themselves in the urban schools
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »

I don't think it is the regional government's place to legislate specific assignments or the expectations of specific teachers.
^

I don't see how lowering standards on an assignment would help the kids score higher on a regional test either.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »

Great idea

Even better, encouraing the younger energetic teachers to push themselves in the urban schools

You are assumiong they don't push themselves already?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 04:17:22 PM »

Great idea

Yes, for instance, NYC. They have one of the crappiest system ever. No, not all are bad. But there's a whole lot of them that are terrible and the city is unable to fire, including teachers who are deemed "unfit" to teach and are just sent to a room and sit there for years due to tenure laws. Do you think are urban teachers really are the cream of the crop as a whole?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 10:23:56 PM »

Great idea

Yes, for instance, NYC. They have one of the crappiest system ever. No, not all are bad. But there's a whole lot of them that are terrible and the city is unable to fire, including teachers who are deemed "unfit" to teach and are just sent to a room and sit there for years due to tenure laws. Do you think are urban teachers really are the cream of the crop as a whole?

Someone's been reading their latedt issue of National Review it seems. Roll Eyes

Where, I ask with trepadation, do you get such "information"?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »

Great idea

Someone's been reading their latedt issue of National Review it seems. Roll Eyes

Where, I ask with trepadation, do you get such "information"?

Newt Gingrich's book
http://www.uft.org/news/bloomberg-calls-5000-teacher-layoffs-city-budget
Newwest 5,000 laid off (which goes against the idea laid out here to promote new teachers to join urban cities)
And the graduation rate for NYC is 60% ish, higher than it has been at least, but it's still impossible to say that's sucessfull, considering less are truly ready for college and many are just shoved through the system when they should be held back.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 01:40:46 AM »

yeah, i've heard about these 'rubber rooms,' on public radio.  doesn't mean there aren't good teachers, just that the teachers that have issues are impossible to let go.   (and Reihan Salaam has some really smart stuff on education at NR so don't knock it if you haven't read it Wink )   

in any case, we can agree i think that it makes sense to reward teachers who take on tougher jobs.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 12:30:23 AM »

Alright, does anybody have an amendment on what specifically we'd like to add to the legislation?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies