MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:26:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: The Teaching Salary Act (Debating)  (Read 3819 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: March 08, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »

I for one don't like Section 4.  That'll be one thing I think definitely needs amending.

I was just considering how to judge teachers fairly on preformance for say a language or music teacher. Our new Colorado bill ties all teachers in with our overall state testing scores which makes no sense, especially for teachers that have nothing to do with the core subjects, or even judged in english when they teach geometry and statistics.

I realize that.  But then limiting pay for non-testable teachers is unfair as well and discourages entry into that field.

Agreed. It needs to be cut out.

I would also be grateful if anyone has the figures for average starting salary for teachers at the present.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:35 AM »

I'm a little worried that teachers would have no incentive to teach underperforming students. On this scale, a teacher would make less if their students' test scores are lower, but there is only so much he/she can control. It's really difficult to objectively grade teacher performance, and it opens up the system to unnecessary controversy or bureaucracy, depending on the path we choose to take.

Agreed. Schools are target driven enough as it is, but many students have low test scores for a variety of reasons. (and not through lack of interest or effort) I must also say as someone born into a teaching family and aware of many of the pressures that they face, that often the root cause of poor discipline, low motivation and other factors begin at home over which a teacher cannot have any control. Local school districts are better placed to manage this; for example some urban areas may have a higher % of kids who essentially act as primary carers which would effect their attendance and concentration.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies