Opinion of Ron Paul
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:28:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Ron Paul
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Ron Paul is a...
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Opinion of Ron Paul  (Read 3591 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »

Associates himself with a terrible people.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »

Though he has amazing 14 year old fanboys.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »

Libertas?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 10:31:19 PM »

I hear that Ron Paul hates black people.  I also hear he wants to ban gays.  I also hear that he thinks the Masons did 9/11.  And I also hear that he likes to have sex with cows.
[/rimshot]

Whatever deep dark evil stuff he may support he's right on a lot more issues than he isn't.  He's also one of a few congressmen who actually care about the issues and not just getting re-elected.
And even if he did make statements about hating blacks or what not it's possible his views might've changed over time, same thing for some of his (perceived) anti-gay positions.
He is not perfect, damn it, but it's a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of American politicians.
FF.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 03:28:38 AM »

Probably a CIA agent.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 06:16:41 AM »

He's won my grudging respect for his ideological consistency over 40 years and a voting record that matches his stated ideals. These days he'd also be what we call a "conservative intellectual", although that is mainly a reflection on state of conservatism than because his ideas are terribly original.

In the American context of conservatism, perhaps. To my eyes he's unashamedly liberal.

All this end militarism, legalise this and that sounds good, but at the end of the day he's a libertarian and thus a HP.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »

In the American context of conservatism, perhaps. To my eyes he's unashamedly liberal.

All this end militarism, legalise this and that sounds good, but at the end of the day he's a libertarian and thus a HP.

What's so bad about Libertarians?
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »

As Mechaman said, not perfect, but much more respectable than any other politician.

FF
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 12:20:25 PM »

I suspect that he's just diametrically opposed to us. It's like me saying that Lieberman is a militaristic liberal Democrat & thus an HP.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »

I suspect that he's just diametrically opposed to us. It's like me saying that Lieberman is a militaristic liberal Democrat & thus an HP.

Or me saying that Mike Huckabee is a southern, brain dead militarist idiot and thus a huge HP.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 07:48:15 AM »

I hear that Ron Paul hates black people.  I also hear he wants to ban gays.  I also hear that he thinks the Masons did 9/11.  And I also hear that he likes to have sex with cows.
[/rimshot]

Whatever deep dark evil stuff he may support he's right on a lot more issues than he isn't.  He's also one of a few congressmen who actually care about the issues and not just getting re-elected.
And even if he did make statements about hating blacks or what not it's possible his views might've changed over time, same thing for some of his (perceived) anti-gay positions.
He is not perfect, damn it, but it's a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of American politicians.
FF.

To be fair, it's not like he's in a swing district. Wink
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:07 AM »

There's something a bit disturbing about him.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »

There's something a bit disturbing when the two choices between a political ideology is "Freedom Fighter", or "Horrible Person."  So much for tolerance of opposing opinions.  On that note, Ron Paul has the guts to be different.  I don't agree with about 50% of what he has to say but, at least he has the conviction to believe what he's telling you.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »

Keep in mind the restricted options. I'm sure there are many well-intentioned - but seriously misguided - Libertarians out there, but Libertarians are no freedom fighters of any sort that I recognise. The type of 'freedom' Libertarianism promotes serves only the rich at the expense of workers everywhere.

But Emperor PiT is correct, I'm diametrically opposed to your economic positions (whilst sympathetic to some civil libertarianism).
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 10:52:08 AM »

There's something a bit disturbing when the two choices between a political ideology is "Freedom Fighter", or "Horrible Person."  So much for tolerance of opposing opinions.  On that note, Ron Paul has the guts to be different.  I don't agree with about 50% of what he has to say but, at least he has the conviction to believe what he's telling you.

The FF vs. HP dichotomy is just an old dumb joke we have here. I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of nuance. 

I didn't vote since I like Ron Paul on some level but disagree on most political opinions. I also find some of his fans that hail him as the messiah to be batsht crazy. The young idealists can be excused for their enthusiasm however.
Salaz
Rookie
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 01:01:33 AM »

Great man.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »

Epic FF.  Losing a bit of luster for me, but he has a lot of luster to lose.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »

I've begun to admire him. Granted, I disagree with him on a ton of things, but he's among the most honest and principled men in Washington. And anyone who beats up Santorum is an instant FF.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 03:03:11 AM »

I respect him, but I think he's completely wrong on a lot of things.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies