We Will Do Something About This
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:41:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  We Will Do Something About This
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We Will Do Something About This  (Read 2444 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »

This is a setup, Bobby. They wanna war and they are arranging things to get one

The Nation is going to f**k up, if we won't do something about this

More to come.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »

Two of my favorite subjects: the Kennedys, and the Cold War! I'm eagerly awaiting to see what this is.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »

October 22, 1962: As the Cuban Missile Crisis deepens, President Kennedy, resisting so far, coming mostly from the military elements, calls for an armed strike, proclaimed a naval blockade of Cuba, called "quarantine". U.S. forces alert is raised to Defcon 3.

October 24, 1962: After a confusion caused by U.S. navy ship firing warning shots near Soviet ship, Secretary Robert McNamara issues "no firing near any Soviet ship without a direct order from the President" policy.

October 25, 1962: McNamara 's directive is broken, as, due to purely accidental communication problems, an U.S. destroyer shot at Soviet cargo ship, provoking a response of a submarine, cargo was a "sitting duck" for. While both cargo and submarine are sunk, destroyed is heavily damaged.

President Kennedy and Secretary McNamara are going furious over this disobedience, while several high officers are now loudly demanding "a response to an aggression".

October 26, 1962: Two U.S. fighters are shot down at Cuba. President Kennedy announces he'll address the nation again at evening, but...

Around 7.00 PM EST, roughly a hour before Kennedy's planned TV address, the White House suddenly announces that the President "resigned due to a health reason", and then, immediately, all official communication shuts down, leaving a shocked nation without any explanation.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »

Weird. I guess Kennedy will be seen as a young, charismatic President whose star rose too soon and at the end of the day was not prepared or fit for the office of the Presidency.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »

October 26, 1962: With a nation buzzing with questions following a sudden announcement, the blockade of informations continued until the next day, as no government official appeared to address them. Reporters, however, noticed a unusual, even for the current state of international affairs, activity around the Pentagon. Most of medias assumed that, automatically, Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson is the next President, but blockade of information was worrying.

October 27, 1962: After a long hours, another official statement, without explanation as well, arrived, stating that "Vice President Johnson is unable to carry our presidential powers and duties". No word about succession yet. People could notice, D.C. immediate area is now patrolled by Army.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »

My guess: Army takes over after Kennedy fails, they declare war, world blows up, people hate Conservatives, especially pro-military ones, Liberal paradise forms.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »

My guess: Army takes over after Kennedy fails, they declare war, world blows up, people hate Conservatives, especially pro-military ones, Liberal paradise forms.

Stop trolling.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »

Stop trolling.

That's my honest guess. I can see you leading up to it. Kennedy was forced to resign for "health reasons", later Johnson doesn't even appear, but he won't be taking office. Meanwhile, the army is patrolling DC. I'd like to see what's happening, but that's my guess so far.

Having seen your lists on the "Alternate Presidents" thread, you've already created an Alexander Haig scenario, so this doesn't seem that far off.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »

Stop trolling.

That's my honest guess. I can see you leading up to it. Kennedy was forced to resign for "health reasons", later Johnson doesn't even appear, but he won't be taking office. Meanwhile, the army is patrolling DC. I'd like to see what's happening, but that's my guess so far.

Having seen your lists on the "Alternate Presidents" thread, you've already created an Alexander Haig scenario, so this doesn't seem that far off.

I meant liberal paraside thing Tongue

Jk, of course. I'm glad you're reading this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »

October 27, 1962: White House made another short and enigmatic announcement. House Speaker John W. McCormack (D-MA) would now serve "temporary" as President, until "process settels down".

October 28, 1962: Now, the things were appearing clearer. White House declared that, in order to assume smooth and "desired" transition, President McCormack and Senate President pro tempore Carl Hayden are both "retiring", and the Senate "elected" new PPT, who would automatically ascend to the office: Senator Homer E. Capehart (R-IN). President Capehart has been sworn-in by a military judge during a closed ceremony in an undisclosed location, and will address the nation about "the situation" soon.

And totally out of the blue, the nation has learned, this guy is now President

Presidents of the United States:

35th: John F. Kennedy (D-MA), January 26, 1961 - October 26, 1962
36th: Lyndon B. Johnson (D-TX) October 26 - October 27, 1962*
37th: John W. McCormack (D-MA), October 27 - October 28, 1962**
38th: Homer E. Capehart (R-IN), October 28, 1962 - present

* Later historians generally agree that while "unable", Johnson, since never resigned Vice Presidency, was technically President for at least one day
** Historians also disagree, due to this, whether consider McCormack as President or Acting President, but most use this numbering
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 08:03:06 PM »

October 29, 1962: Finally, President Capehart addressed the nation, at 7.00 PM EST, not from the Oval Office, but White House Conference Room with General Curtis LeMay standing next to him.

My fellow Americans. Our country is at the crossroad, viciously targeted by enemies foreign and domestic like never since our war of independence. A dramatic times requires dramatic solutions I have to take with a heavy heart, but a clear coisence, knowing it's for our best.

President Kennedy, realizing his own shortcomings in a wake of this unprecedented challenge, graciously stepped down. Now I, as your President, am going to do my best to resolve the situation, with a help of the very force that guarantee us and the world freedom: our armed forces. The army knows what's the best for us, to prevail in a brink of war, and have it determination, which our glorious Republic needs now. Dear fellow citizens, together, arm by arm, we will triumph.

Now, the people are starting to notice the military presence not only at streets, and that many well-known political leaders, Democratic and Republican alike, are being missing from public eye since the whole thing started...
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »

This is cryptic. Good stuff, as always!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »

October 30, 1962: With the entire world, regardless of state and ideological borders watching the astonishing developments, London's TIMES published a list of several notable figures of U.S. politics, that weren't seen nor heard of since it all started.

Among those listed were Senate Majority Whip Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN), Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen (R-IL), Senators Eugene McCarthy (D-MN), Wayne Morse (D-OR), Ernest Gruening (D-AK), Barry Goldwater (R-AZ), Hiram Fong (R-HI), Phillip Hart (D-MI)  Governors Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY), Farris Bryant (D-FL) and several members of the House.

Former President Kennedy, his brother Robert, Vice President Johnson, Secretary McNamara, President McCormack and Senator Hayden are all "vanished" as well.

October 31, 1962: It was announced "there is no need of filling House Speakership".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »

Very interesting! I'm wondering if it's military, or if the Russians have infiltrated the government or something.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »

November 1, 1962: President Capehart addressed the nation again and announced a formation of a so-called "Defense Council", composing mostly a senior military leaders, with some pro-military political figures. The council, according to the new President's words, is going to play "a key role in defending and directing our nation through this crisis".

General Curtis LeMay (USAF), Chairman of the "Defense Council"

November 2, 1962: Congressman Augustus F. Hawkins (D-CA) said publicly what many people already suspected: the United States are undergoing a military coup. Later, the same day, a medium-size demonstration took place near Capitol, with military patrols just watching for now.

November 3, 1962: A massacred body of Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen (R-IL), who has been "missing" since Kennedy's sudden departure, is found in Virginia forrest, near D.C. Senator James O. Eastland (D-MS), who has been a frequent guest in a closed White House, immediately denounces "communist infiltrators" as "guilty of this heinous crime against America". Soon, it's becoming an official line.

November 5, 1962: With a midterm elections just one day away, during a special session (with many members missing), Congress narrowly passes a "Patriotic Defense Act", giving an extraordinary powers to the President, law enforcement and military.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »

Wait, that reminds me of.... 1991 Soivet coup.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »

Oh, thanks for bumping... you reminded me I need to update my TLs from time to time Smiley
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:02 AM »

Damn Kal.
This is some serious sh*t.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »

November 6, 1962: Midterm elections are largely overshadowed with an events, regarding the Presidency. There is essentially no chance in a partisan makeup. Those Congressional leaders, who are remaining at the stage, feel powerless.

November 8, 1962: Former President Kennedy, former Vice President Johnson, Senator Humphrey, among the others, were "put under a protective custody by the Armed Forces", because "communist assassinations risk that already claimed a life of a great American, Senator Dirksen", White House said.

(I'll continue this in other format, since it's hard to me to write date-by-date events)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 05:49:27 PM »

November 12, 1962: FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover went on the national TV himself to announce a capture of a "cold-blooded Communist operative and terrorist", who "upon an orders from the very Kremlin carried a treasonous murder of Senator Dirksen" and "was a part of a secret sleeper cell, destined to destabilize US Government via brutal assassinations". His name: Lee Harvey Oswald.

Later the historians established Mr. Oswald's full innocence, as he was set up by the authorities for a show trail, and gave a concession only after "special methods of interrogation" were applied on his skin

November 13, 1962: President Capehart decided, with "Defense Council" full accordance, to select a special military tribunal to try "unlawful inside combatant named Oswald", as per WWII-era Ex Part Quirin rule.

November 14, 1962: The blockade of Cuba continues. Soviet missiles, without a supplies, are clearly nonoperative, but crisis is far from being over...

November 18, 1962: A special military tribunal, based on D.C.'s Marine Corps barracks, found Lee Harvey Oswald guilty of terrorism and treason during a televised trail, that took just half of an hour. Verdict (suprise, suprise...): death penalty.

November 21, 1962: After President Capehart formally signed his death warrant, Lee Harvey Oswald was put to death by electrocution in D.C. jailhouse.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 12:10:27 AM »

If I was American, I'd support coup.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 06:13:43 PM »

The Aftermath

The situation established after, as it became known, an "October Coup", was curious.

Technically, strictly technically, nothing changed when it came to the government. There still was a Congress, there were political parties, the powers of the Presidency and the Cabinet remained, theoretically, the same.

Yet, it was obvious who is the boss here. Hundreds of suspicious political figures, Democrats and Republicans, liberal and conservatives alike, were detained (pardon, pardon, put under protective custody due to communist assassinations threat) by the new regime, so-called Defense Council, that due to controlling the new President and reduced Supreme Court as it's puppets, wield supreme power, especially with declared state of military emergency.

Without supplies, Soviet rockets at Cuba became useless. However, it was hardly a victory for the United States, since Soviet Union established a land and air blockade over West Berlin. None of two cold war sides openly attacked yet, but many believed that it's only matter of time before, either by decision at the very top or someone losing his nerves in field, cold war would become a hot one.

Meanwhile at home, with both shock and war threat, the new regime did not meet any stronger resistance so far, beside individual dissident voices.

By the end of 1962, no one could be possibly sure, what happens now, both at home and abroad...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies